No. 5 Sauce

Is Sleepy Eye a person or a place?

i'm a little south of the Twin Cities. Drop me a note when you know your schedule, if timing permits, I'll stand you to a tasty beverage... possibly a little 'cue.

Edit: It's a place, a couple of hours west of me. Stop in to the Schell's Brewery in New Ulm, the tour is enjoyable.

Last edited:
No.5 Sauce Revisited

Today's batch was the following single standard batch (1 cup of ketchup...) recipe with the following changes:
1 1/2 T rub for extra zip
1/4-1/3 cup fresh yellow pepper chopped large
5 slices (rings) of fresh jalapeño
5 pieces of dried apricots
simmer for 20 minutes

Finnish:
juice of one fresh lemon
2 T good balsamic vinegar

Note: the peppers and fruit can be removed or blended in, your choice---I removed them.
The jalapeño provide a very nice bit of fresh heat.

It's a great recipe for a base to make your own sauce, but I've never changed it that drastically! I usually tweak the sauce with changes to the rub and start from there. My favorite rub to use is Southern Succor from Smoke & Spice but I'll change depending on what flavor I'm shooting for. Increasing rub quantity would be interesting; think I'll do it next time just to see.

My basics are :

1 cup catsup
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
3 tbs worcestershire
1 tsp red pepper flakes
1 tbs rub
1/8 cup pineapple juice
Little basil and parsely and onion powder
1/3 cup brown sugar

The acid in juices really accentuates vinegar, needs to cook down for 30 -45 min to get rid of most of vinegar . It wont be nearly as tangy acidic after cools .

Last edited:
This is what I've been doing for awhile now:

2 C ketchup
1 C cider vinegar
2/3 C brown sugar (heaping or tightly packed)
2 T worcestershire sauce
2 T rub (1/3rd-ish recipe of pork rub)
1/6 C raspberry-chipotle marinade
1 t garlic powder
1 t onion powder
1 T Sriracha sauce

Tried this version with my pulled pork/slaw in a pita. No rasp/chip marinade but added 2T of rasp jam. Used BRITU rub.

Couldn't really taste the rasp BUT oh my, it was exactly what i was looking for (a bit of heat).

Perfecto :D Another happy customer.

Steve, I smoked for a good friend's son's culinary arts graduation bash this weekend. She asked me about what sauces to make or buy, I rather strongly suggested your No. 5. They ended up dressing it up with a little cumin and toasted sesame oil. VERY good, and I'm pretty sure there's a few people up there who are going to keep making it.

No.5 Sauce Revisited

Today's batch was the following single standard batch (1 cup of ketchup...) recipe with the following changes:
1 1/2 T rub for extra zip
1/4-1/3 cup fresh yellow pepper chopped large
5 slices (rings) of fresh jalapeño
5 pieces of dried apricots
simmer for 20 minutes

Finnish:
juice of one fresh lemon
2 T good balsamic vinegar

Note: the peppers and fruit can be removed or blended in, your choice---I removed them.
The jalapeño provide a very nice bit of fresh heat.
Have to thank you again Steve. I have been making this sauce now about 9 years, man I love it and messing around with the recipe.

My go to is to add foil drippings, dried cherries, I saw you added rub for extra zip. Instead I added Gochugaru, Korean chili flakes. I will give feedback tomorrow. Have a crew of 16 coming over for the Fourth. Can't wait to try it in the AM!

Eric, you are spot on with your No.5.
Today I'll do a batch of No.5. Like you, I'll add extra rub, a dried pepper or two in place of jalapeño and a fruit. The lemon finish is standard for me & I like the balsamic addition.
I believe you have perfected this!

I'll probably make a Lexington sauce as well.

Nice, I will have to try the Lexington sauce. The Gochugaru addition was great imo. Kruger got me addicted to Aleppo years back, Gochugaru is my new addiction lol.

So, I have a pork butt smoking for dinner tonight w/ guests..... my g/f looks in the fridge and sees that we're almost out of No. 5 sauce earlier this morning. "Are you going to make more for dinner? You really need to start making this stuff by the gallon." :D

I have made probably 10 different sauces and have purchased who knows how many commercial sauces. No.5 is what my wive prefers. Basic recipe then after simmering I add 3 tablespoons of siracha.

Good day all.

Today's version:

add 2 T dried cherries
add 1/3 cup chunk pineapple
simmer 10 min. then remove the fruit
add fresh squeezed lemon juice

Enjoy

edit: added a dash of cayenne pepper

Good day all.

Today's version:

add 2 T dried cherries
add 1/3 cup chunk pineapple
simmer 10 min. then remove the fruit
add fresh squeezed lemon juice

Enjoy

edit: added a dash of cayenne pepper
And I was just getting ready to make a batch. I have dried pineapple slices, that should work with the dried cherries.

Been making no. 5 for many years with all sorts of variations, perfect base for experimenting. Gotta get some dried cherries and make the latest version.

There are two options for the solid additions. After simmering onions, peppers and or fruits in the sauce:

#1 Blend the solids into the sauce
OR
#2 Remove the solids and use them as a RELISH on a BBQ sandwich

I prefer the relish option.

I am very new to this so please forgive my ignorance.
I did read a few pages but didn't hit all of them.....has anyone rehydrated some chilies and made it a smoky type variation to this sauce?
Using the blender of course before the simmering stage.......
It was my first instinct as I may try to make the original come this weekend.

I am very new to this so please forgive my ignorance.
I did read a few pages but didn't hit all of them.....has anyone rehydrated some chilies and made it a smoky type variation to this sauce?
Using the blender of course before the simmering stage.......
It was my first instinct as I may try to make the original come this weekend.
Ooooh.......... drop in a couple of chipotle peppers and some of the adobo sauce, then buzz it up..... I'm just about out, time to make a new batch, I may have to try this.

Back