Newbie with an old Genesis--learning to refurb!

Cassondra, I have a grill like yours and I had to replace all this long wires and igniters. The one you are looking to buy has one igniter instead of three and it is short so less problems. There is also one for the side burner though. The critters don’t chew the wires as there is no bottom plate to stand on like in your existing grill. The darn squirrels have eaten the rubber off the knobs and igniter button on my S330 but never touched my old Genesis. And the East/West burners are easier to change. I have four E/W Genesis and one N/S and maintenance on the old E/W is much easier.
THank you. If this one ends up being available, I will go into it with more confidence based on this.

Yep. I’ve barely gotten started on my gadget collection for my charcoal grills. Nor have I put much of a dent in the list of ingredients and techniques that are out there.
Plus now you need to learn how well a good gas grill cooks compared to a kettle. It can be pretty close, and a lot more convenient which is why I still can't pull the trigger on another kettle. I just don't know that it's worth the extra time and hassle for me at this point.

As an FYI. The side burners on these grills are okay for boiling stuff on but not so good for using a frying pan on. The flame area is too small and you can not turn them down low enough in my opinion. It is probably because Weber was scared the flame would blow out on low if it was windy.

As an FYI. The side burners on these grills are okay for boiling stuff on but not so good for using a frying pan on. The flame area is too small and you can not turn them down low enough in my opinion. It is probably because Weber was scared the flame would blow out on low if it was windy.
Flame Tamers work well for low temp simmer.

I have one like this but it's over 50 years old.

ChefLand Heat Master Flame Tamer, 8" https://www.amazon.com/dp/B016AORQZQ/?tag=tvwb-20

Last edited by a moderator:
A reasonable fear! On the blackstone, I have a two-burner side unit. I choose to use the back burner most often, because it has more shielding from the wind when the lid on the griddle is down. I hate to hear that the burners on the Webers aren't all that. Because blackstone has it figured out. BUT...this is what?....20 years or more later? Blackstone is the cutting edge of grilling/griddle tech, even if their builds/materials are crap. The WEber grill in that ad is is a lot older.

This thread convinced me to check out the instant read thermometers you were talking about.

When I pulled up the one on Amazon, it said there was a newer model available for 3 dollars more.

This one has two probes, so I pulled the trigger.

Then I found the bottle opener on the back and I know I made the right choice.

PXL_20220801_211749876.jpgPXL_20220801_211709629.jpg

There are a lot of versions of Weber grills that I have not encountered. I have a lot to learn.

I see a lot on marketplace for cheap, but I don't know what I'm looking at. I need to learn quickly.
No idea whether you'd want to spend a buck-and-a-half or more on this but I'll throw it out there, nonetheless.

There's an electric Weber Q on Marketplace not far from you. It occurs to me that this might suit those times when you feel like grilling, but Mother Nature is uncooperative.

This thread convinced me to check out the instant read thermometers you were talking about.

When I pulled up the one on Amazon, it said there was a newer model available for 3 dollars more.

This one has two probes, so I pulled the trigger.

Then I found the bottle opener on the back and I know I made the right choice.

View attachment 56644View attachment 56646
John, I got one of these to use in the RV because it had the remote probe. I haven’t tried the remote probe yet but the instant one work good, not quite as fast as the TP19. Fast enough for this old guy though. Let us know how the remote probe works please.

No idea whether you'd want to spend a buck-and-a-half or more on this but I'll throw it out there, nonetheless.

There's an electric Weber Q on Marketplace not far from you. It occurs to me that this might suit those times when you feel like grilling, but Mother Nature is uncooperative.
That's a really good looking grill. I don't want to right now, cuz spending on the gas and may have to spend some on the kettle, but I hadn't even begun to look at electric Weber grills, and this might be really nice for exactly the situations you describe.

I don't know, I turned out a pretty respectable batch of chicken thighs for my son tonight that really came close to charcoal in my opinion.
See...chicken on the charcoal grill....I never got any good at that.

Heat control in outdoor cooking......no matter the source of the fire, is one of my weakest points as a cook.

See...chicken on the charcoal grill....I never got any good at that.

Heat control in outdoor cooking......no matter the source of the fire, is one of my weakest points as a cook.
my .02 is it takes a little practice.

On your 310 with clean burners the heat will recover fairly fast.

Preheat with all the burners on high until it is 400 to 450 on the led thermo.

I tend to only cook on half the grill, so the burners under the meat are on low, and the burner without food over it is on high.

Sometimes I'll turn off the burners under the meat if I have flare ups.

( and if we want to talk heat control on a kettle, that belongs in its own thread in the kettle forum, so I won't go there... )

A remote thermometer that you can place in the cook box will allow you to monitor the temp in the grill accurately and will allow you to do so without standing next to the grill.
Thermoworks makes the "SMOKE" which is a top line unit. There are also very good units from ThermoPro. On long temp critical cooks like ribs or brisket, it is invaluable in maintaining tight temps. They both have dual or even 4 probes which allow you to also monitor the internal meat temp without having to continually open the grill lid which helps immensely in maintaining temps in the grill.

The generosity of the participants of this group is amazing. I was a newbie once, I'm going onto my 21st grill restored and I'm still amazed at the wealth of information, simplicity and humility with which all that advice is given. Thanks again.

Back