Newbie with an old Genesis--learning to refurb!

Cassondra, I'm not sure I understand what you're talking about on this. These grills are designed to sit outside and withstand all the elements and keep on ticking. This grill sat outside since 1998 and fired up on the first push of the button rain, snow, or shine every time.View attachment 56643
Well...I could be dead wrong. But my initial reaction was, " I want the wires inside something."

The wires in my Genesis are inside a container, of a sort. So squirrels can't get to the wires to chew on them. There weren't many spiders or dirt dobbers inside the front panel (with its bottom cover) on mine when I opened it up. It was dirty, but everything was intact. Living out in the country, I tend to want any wire with a coating contained in some kind of tube or otherwise blocked from the critters.

Maybe that's not necessary with these grills. I don't know. I'm new. But I've only dealt with one grill, and all the wiring is contained. And my igniters still work 10 years later, so I take that as a good sign.

You know...after taking MY grill apart, sort of, and looking at how this grill comes apart, I think mine is easier. :geek:

Except for that plate underneath my front panel. That thing made me cuss. And when I cuss, it's like four syllables. It's not pretty.

Just sayin. 😣
Hey, if you can fix your grill you can fix them all.

One of the first things you’ll learn while working on these grills - if what you’re doing seems difficult, you’re probably doing it wrong.
Putting on the front panel and bottom cover in the dark with a phone for a flashlight was difficult.

But...those were not the best circumstances. :sneaky:

One of the first things you’ll learn while working on these grills - if what you’re doing seems difficult, you’re probably doing it wrong.
That grill in your avatar...is that the "plum 22"?

I was looking at your sigline, trying to figure out what grills you had.

Well...I could be dead wrong. But my initial reaction was, " I want the wires inside something."

The wires in my Genesis are inside a container, of a sort. So squirrels can't get to the wires to chew on them. There weren't many spiders or dirt dobbers inside the front panel (with its bottom cover) on mine when I opened it up. It was dirty, but everything was intact. Living out in the country, I tend to want any wire with a coating contained in some kind of tube or otherwise blocked from the critters.

Maybe that's not necessary with these grills. I don't know. I'm new. But I've only dealt with one grill, and all the wiring is contained. And my igniters still work 10 years later, so I take that as a good sign.
Ok, I see what you're saying. What I'm saying is that my own grill never had any problems that weren't due to worn out burner tubes, flavorizer bars, or regulators. When I took it apart to restore it, the original, 22 yr. old igniter still worked perfectly. The only critter problem I've had is when something decided to eat the grease in the exposed grease drip tray (yuck)

That grill in your avatar...is that the "plum 22"?

I was looking at your sigline, trying to figure out what grills you had.
That’d be the Red Mist SSP. I hadn’t ever owned a proper Weber gas grill until last Thursday. I did a LOT of homework prior to finding my perfect grill, though.

Ok, I see what you're saying. What I'm saying is that my own grill never had any problems that weren't due to worn out burner tubes, flavorizer bars, or regulators. When I took it apart to restore it, the original, 22 yr. old igniter still worked perfectly. The only critter problem I've had is when something decided to eat the grease in the exposed grease drip tray (yuck)
Eww.

But that would be par for the course where I live.

Ducks roost on my grill.

I may try duck for Christmas for the first time ever. I hear it's fatty.

That’d be the Red Mist SSP. I hadn’t ever owned a proper Weber gas grill until last Thursday. I did a LOT of homework prior to finding my perfect grill, though.
Wait. What?

*raises eyebrow*

Oh GAS grill.

All those in your sigline are charcoal?

Yep, Lee is the opposite of me. I started off cooking on a Weber kettle and switched to the gas grills. I suspect that you're not ready to give up coal burning altogether just yet, nor should you!

Yep. I’ve barely gotten started on my gadget collection for my charcoal grills. Nor have I put much of a dent in the list of ingredients and techniques that are out there.

Yep, Lee is the opposite of me. I started off cooking on a Weber kettle and switched to the gas grills. I suspect that you're not ready to give up coal burning altogether just yet, nor should you!
I have not lit charcoal for at least 8 years. *hangs head*

My kettle has been sitting there.

I've used nothing but my gas grill cuz....life. Elder care issues, health issues for family members, yadda yadda.

Gas is easy and quick, and right outside the door. It is why CHARCOAL is one of my goals. I want to learn to use charcoal to cook slow. I only know how to cook fast and furious. I actually bought Weber to cook steak. Charcoal first, then gas.

Cassondra, I have a grill like yours and I had to replace all this long wires and igniters. The one you are looking to buy has one igniter instead of three and it is short so less problems. There is also one for the side burner though. The critters don’t chew the wires as there is no bottom plate to stand on like in your existing grill. The darn squirrels have eaten the rubber off the knobs and igniter button on my S330 but never touched my old Genesis. And the East/West burners are easier to change. I have four E/W Genesis and one N/S and maintenance on the old E/W is much easier.

Everything except the Q and the Platinum C.

Okay, the SSP does have a gas tube to light the charcoal…
There are a lot of versions of Weber grills that I have not encountered. I have a lot to learn.

I see a lot on marketplace for cheap, but I don't know what I'm looking at. I need to learn quickly.

Back