Newbie with an old Genesis--learning to refurb!

@DanHoo I'm reading back through the thread again, because I miss so much when I'm actually working on the grill. I just saw this post. Are you serious about that flashlight surviving the dishwasher? Cuz..Ima wash it EVERY NIGHT.

Just sayin.
The flashlight slides in and out of the handle.

I wouldn't put the flashlight part in the dishwasher

OKAY HELP A NEWBIE LEARN TO ASSESS A JUNKER GRILL.

Here is one from my local marketplace. (I doubt it's still there. Been listed a long time.) So...

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/430805165401489/?ref=search&referral_code=null&referral_story_type=post&tracking=browse_serp:cbf084a7-cac2-4442-8708-58b90ad8d804

Tell me what this grill IS, and whether that is a good price for it?

It has a side burner. If he responds, and somebody local doesn't see it here and grab it, I might go get it.

But I dunno what to do with my beloved Weber if I get a second one. *hangs head*

ETA: What I am guessing is that "horizontal" means "east-west" in y'all's language. Which means this grill would take a rotisseries. AND it has a SIDE BURNER! *dances in little circles*

I somehow missed liking this post and I will say...the old Toro mowers were awesome.

They are building decent mowers again. They purchased Exmark, which is the pinnacle of commercial mowers, and have upped their game in all markets, including the homeowner market.

I will say you have to spend some money to get a good mower, and Toro is betting that lawn care enthusiasts will spend some money. But it is as good as it gets for a decent homeowner rotary mower now. So if you have an older Toro, you have an excellent machine, and I wouldn't give it up for any money.

I think exmark/Toro will support it.
Yes, the new Toros are still pretty good machines and I would definitely buy another. The only problem I have with them is moving their production to Mexico and seem to suffer more from initial quality control issues than long term reliability. reliability.

OKAY HELP A NEWBIE LEARN TO ASSESS A JUNKER GRILL.

Here is one from my local marketplace. (I doubt it's still there. Been listed a long time.) So...

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/430805165401489/?ref=search&referral_code=null&referral_story_type=post&tracking=browse_serp:cbf084a7-cac2-4442-8708-58b90ad8d804

Tell me what this grill IS, and whether that is a good price for it?

It has a side burner. If he responds, and somebody local doesn't see it here and grab it, I might go get it.

But I dunno what to do with my beloved Weber if I get a second one. *hangs head*

ETA: What I am guessing is that "horizontal" means "east-west" in y'all's language. Which means this grill would take a rotisseries. AND it has a SIDE BURNER! *dances in little circles*
That's a Genesis gold. good grill and great price.

That's BEAUTIFUL! Did you cook the seafood on the grill somehow? Or did you boil it?

I want a side burner on my Weber. Alas, I do not have one.
The seafood was done on the stove, only because the shrimp had already been sautéed in garlic, oil, etc. in that skillet. Just added the rest to steam at the end. It could’ve been done on the grill just as easily.

EB132C9D-05CA-4ABA-8406-C672324217ED.jpeg

North-South, meaning that the burners run front to back. Older grills had the control panel to the right of the fire box. Those are EW grills.
AH! I am finally putting this together. I have a N-S grill. I want an EW grill, which is better for rotisserie cooking.

Yes, the new Toros are still pretty good machines and I would definitely buy another. The only problem I have with them is moving their production to Mexico and seem to suffer more from initial quality control issues than long term reliability. reliability.
I'm not sure any homeowner mower will be better, and that makes me sad. I bought my commercial mower from a dealer I trust, and he takes care of me. Most homeowners buying a push mower don't have that kind of dealer behind them. I will say if you DO have a dealer who will sell you a mower, go there. Pay the extra $30 and get it from him/her/them.

NOW THEN...I will say, not all dealers are created equal. I was born with a very low tolerance for bullsh*t. And so I went through a lot of dealers and found one that was not full of it, and I bought my expensive commercial mower from that dealer. He will come get me out of a yard if I'm stuck. The hoity-toity dealers will not do that. They have fancier customers than me and so they will take care of them and leave me in the ditch. My dealer will take care of me. As a woman alone in the lawn care industry (I have no employees) that is gold. So I will preach to all I know, that the quality of the dealer is FAR more important than the color of the mower, or the name on the metal.

The seafood was done on the stove, only because the shrimp had already been sautéed in garlic, oil, etc. in that skillet. Just added the rest to steam at the end. It could’ve been done on the grill just as easily.

View attachment 56640
I've never done crab legs at home. There will be a learning curve, and of course I will get them frozen. Best we can do in a landlocked state.

ETA: What I am guessing is that "horizontal" means "east-west" in y'all's language.
Never go by what somebody might put in the description of a grill on the Facebooks. When they say ‘horizontal’ they might mean that the burners are oriented transversely, or they might mean that the grill is wider than it is tall. Or they might mean that they like to grill while lying down…

My mower came from a dealer, back then you couldn't buy the better Toros from Home Depot or wherever. It's never been back there once. The first ten or so years I had it nothing ever broke on it, just needed oil changes and blades. After that I would just fix or replace anything on it myself. I agree that you have to find a good dealer when dealing with expensive commercial equipment, same as choosing a car dealer.

Never go by what somebody might put in the description of a grill on the Facebooks. When they say ‘horizontal’ they might mean that the burners are oriented transversely, or they might mean that the grill is wider than it is tall. Or they might mean that they like to grill while lying down…
Duly noted. I will look at it closely before I spend money.

Back