Newbie with an old Genesis--learning to refurb!

So a report on the new grates:

The grill marks are SO MUCH PRETTIER with the new stainless grates recommended by DanHoo than they were with my old flat grates. Even when the old grates were new, the grill marks weren't this nice. I've noticed it on steak AND the chicken tenders so far.

I don't understand that, but it's true. Maybe it's the round shape of the bars.

Here was the fridge pasta for supper tonight. I cooked the pasta on the side burner of the blackstone. I am now looking for a Weber with a side burner. Just sayin.

We used the fancy placemats tonight. :ROFLMAO:

Grilled chicken fridge pasta.jpg

~Cassondra...running on the Hot Dog Reform platform.

Hot Dog Reform 2022!

Attachments

• Gilled chicken on new stainless grates.jpg
    Gilled chicken on new stainless grates.jpg
    216.7 KB · Views: 8
There is considerable discussion on this site about griddles. Any skillet or pan you have in your kitchen will basically work on a grill. The thing is that most of these are round because they are intended to sit on a round burner. Years of tradition there.

So a rectangular tool is better on the grill because it catches more of the heat from the burners, which are straight. Most rectangular griddles are marketed toward outdoor cooking and are often made of cast iron. These are a step up from a round skillet and will work better.

I have heard warnings not to buy any cast iron from China, as it likely will be made from recycled metal such as car radiators that may contain high levels of lead. Lodge is the only company I know of still making cast iron in the USA. I can't say how much of a concern that actually is.

The Weber specific accessories offer a modest improvement in fit, but are by no means mandatory.

I would suggest starting with what you have, then upgrading to the Lodge stuff as you see fit (Lodge is actually pretty economical). I would probably pass on the Weber accessories.

I didn't buy anything weber special. I bought a CI griddle that fit front-to back on half the grill.

Specifically, this one:

View attachment 56629

The griddle only takes up half of the 310 leaving the other half open for direct or indirect heat.
OH I really like that one!

I want one!

There is considerable discussion on this site about griddles. Any skillet or pan you have in your kitchen will basically work on a grill. The thing is that most of these are round because they are intended to sit on a round burner. Years of tradition there.

So a rectangular tool is better on the grill because it catches more of the heat from the burners, which are straight. Most rectangular griddles are marketed toward outdoor cooking and are often made of cast iron. These are a step up from a round skillet and will work better.

I have heard warnings not to buy any cast iron from China, as it likely will be made from recycled metal such as car radiators that may contain high levels of lead. Lodge is the only company I know of still making cast iron in the USA. I can't say how much of a concern that actually is.

The Weber specific accessories offer a modest improvement in fit, but are by no means mandatory.

I would suggest starting with what you have, then upgrading to the Lodge stuff as you see fit (Lodge is actually pretty economical). I would probably pass on the Weber accessories.

Thank you so much for this, and that makes perfect sense. I have a fair bit of cast iron, but no rectangular griddle.

I have old stuff my mom got for me at yard sales (all pre-china--she had some kind of magic where she could pick up a skillet and say, "this one's good" or "no this one's junk."

(y'all Ima put a paragraph here and just say....story ahead. Cuz y'all don't have to read through this.)

(my mom and skillets, continued) I miss her. Incidentally it wasn't about weight, necessarily. Every now and then she would squint at the skillet, turn it over and examine the welds. She didn't know lodge from smodge, and did not need a brand to know what she was looking at. Born in 1927 and raised in the Great Depression. She knew her skillets, and nothing to do with brand. ( I strive to emulate this. ) She'd squint at the yard sale person and say, "I'll give ya two dollars for it." And most of the time they would say yes. So she often brought home a skillet from a yard sale that looked like absolute he** and she'd build a fire in the back yard, let it get nice and hot, then shove the skillet in there, covering it with coals. Then she'd walk away. Come back the next evening, and pull the skillet out. Scrub it with a wire brush and say, "there you go. Now that's a skillet."

I will never know what she knew, but sometimes I stand at the mirror and try to imitate that two-dollar squint.

flavorizer bars and deflectors for another E330 I picked up a week ago. I might return them. They are not as thick as I want.

I started a new thread on on flav bars and deflectors so I can keep track of them and get feedback from others.

@DanHoo can I help with your thread by measuring and/or otherwise reporting on my flavorizer bars? If so, tell me what you need to know.

As far as I'm concerned, 1999 was the last year Weber made a great grill. They became progressively cheaper after that. That's not to say that a new one doesn't cook well, they do. They just aren't going to last 20 or 30 years. I also have an old 1996 Toro lawnmower that I love and would prefer to never replace. What these two items have in common is that I didn't have the time to properly maintain them when they were new and they both managed to last until I could pay some attention to them.
I somehow missed liking this post and I will say...the old Toro mowers were awesome.

They are building decent mowers again. They purchased Exmark, which is the pinnacle of commercial mowers, and have upped their game in all markets, including the homeowner market.

I will say you have to spend some money to get a good mower, and Toro is betting that lawn care enthusiasts will spend some money. But it is as good as it gets for a decent homeowner rotary mower now. So if you have an older Toro, you have an excellent machine, and I wouldn't give it up for any money.

I think exmark/Toro will support it.

I like my grill light spatula and tongs.

View attachment 55988

Grill Light Grilling Essential Combo Gift Set: LED Light Spatula, Tongs & Bonus GrillMat | Restaurant Grade Stainless Steel Tools w/Built-in LED Flashlight | Turn Grill into Griddle | Grill in Dark https://www.amazon.com/dp/B076Q576PC/?tag=tvwb-20
@DanHoo I'm reading back through the thread again, because I miss so much when I'm actually working on the grill. I just saw this post. Are you serious about that flashlight surviving the dishwasher? Cuz..Ima wash it EVERY NIGHT.

Just sayin.

Last edited by a moderator:

Back