Newbie with an old Genesis--learning to refurb!

Bam, Bam, BAM!

Three clicks, three burners all lit.

Still a ways to go, but I can't believe everything works.

First lighting with new innards July 26 2022.jpg

Thank you so much, to all of you, for more help than I EVER expected to get with this. I have a lot more to learn, but I'm truly grateful to you all on this forum.

Editing to add..I will have more questions about some things I think need tweaked but that's for another day!

I anticipate maybe needing new burners. I dunno. Heat control is still fairly rough. There are a lot of little yellow flickers, so cooler spots in the blue, hotter flame, so I don't know if that means my burners are struggling or not. Foil potatoes with onions are cooking. Steak sitting in the rub. Husband insists he is willing to eat at 11 pm. :rolleyes:

Editing to add..I will have more questions about some things I think need tweaked but that's for another day!

I anticipate maybe needing new burners. I dunno. Heat control is still fairly rough. There are a lot of little yellow flickers, so cooler spots in the blue, hotter flame, so I don't know if that means my burners are struggling or not. Foil potatoes with onions are cooking. Steak sitting in the rub. Husband insists he is willing to eat at 11 pm. :rolleyes:
You probably should have checked those before you put it all back together, but you still can by taking the grates and flavorizer bars back out and lighting the grill. Look for uneven flames/ cracks in the tubes.

You probably should have checked those before you put it all back together, but you still can by taking the grates and flavorizer bars back out and lighting the grill. Look for uneven flames/ cracks in the tubes.
I absolutely should have, but I didn't. Now that I know how to take it apart, though, I'm way less afraid of it.

I think the warranty covers rust through only, if I'm not mistaken, which means if they are not rusted through, I have to buy new ones. That'll be a chunk-o-change I would guess.

I think the warranty covers rust through only, if I'm not mistaken, which means if they are not rusted through, I have to buy new ones. That'll be a chunk-o-change I would guess.
10 year warranty on burners, so still covered.

Please post a close up pic of the burners, tomorrow, in daylight.

They may need to be cleaned, but they may need to be replaced.

If they cannot be cleaned and have cracks, then I would contact weber for a warranty replacement.

I absolutely should have, but I didn't. Now that I know how to take it apart, though, I'm way less afraid of it.

From the picture you posted of them, they really didn't look too bad. They could just have some crud in them, or you may even have a bad regulator.

10 year warranty on burners, so still covered.

Please post a close up pic of the burners, tomorrow, in daylight.

They may need to be cleaned, but they may need to be replaced.

If they cannot be cleaned and have cracks, then I would contact weber for a warranty replacement.

Will likely be Friday before I can take decent pics. Crazy day today, just now getting online, and tomorrow out of town. But will be back and definitely will take pics and post. I didn't realize cracks could activate the warranty.

From the picture you posted of them, they really didn't look too bad. They could just have some crud in them, or you may even have a bad regulator.
I will follow up and give y'all more pics, and I will take them out and shake stuff out of them if I can. I'm sure there is debris in there, plus, unless I take them out I can't see the bottoms. I have felt along them, but no visual inspection of the bottoms.

I will follow up and give y'all more pics, and I will take them out and shake stuff out of them if I can. I'm sure there is debris in there, plus, unless I take them out I can't see the bottoms. I have felt along them, but no visual inspection of the bottoms.
Yep, that's the place to start. There really aren't too many things that can be wrong but you have to eliminate all the possibilities starting with the easiest ones first.

Some NEW STUFF...and a QUESTION:

Stuff arrived today:

New knobs.jpg

Tonight I used the grill. I noticed (for the first time) condensation in the temp dial on the cover of the Weber. Is this bad? (We have had rain off and on the past few days, but that's not unusual for here. ) Do y'all see this condensation in your temp dials? That white spot in the middle is a circle of moisture. No idea if that's normal or not. Just never saw it before. But I'm paying more attention now.

Dial with condensation.jpg

The condensation does happen sometimes, it has happened to me. If it doesn't bother you, fine. If it does then buy a new thermometer. I buy a new one when that happens because it bothers me. P.S the new knobs were a good choice 👌

For what it is worth, condensation is usually bad. Condensation inside a double pane window means that the seal is broken and needs repair/replacement. Likewise, condensation inside a watch means the seal is broken and a bit of water got into the watch. It should be opened and dried before parts are damaged. The thermometer is not really airtight or sealed, so you will see condensation from time to time. In my experience, it won't hardly damage the thermometer spring at all.

For what it is worth, condensation is usually bad. Condensation inside a double pane window means that the seal is broken and needs repair/replacement. Likewise, condensation inside a watch means the seal is broken and a bit of water got into the watch. It should be opened and dried before parts are damaged. The thermometer is not really airtight or sealed, so you will see condensation from time to time. In my experience, it won't hardly damage the thermometer spring at all.
So I thought, "Oh NO!" but today it is gone.

So you are saying it's cool, at least for now?

Back