Newbie with an old Genesis--learning to refurb!

THere are SS stamped steel grates and then SS Solid rod grates. The solid rod grates are a clear upgrade to the stamped steel ones. But, either will work fine for you.

I bought these:

They were supposed to be delivered yesterday according to tracking, but I just got an update that says they should be here tomorrow.

The wait is almost OVER! :geek:

Latest question for the Refurb folks: Knobs---

I let these old knobs soak for a couple of days, thinking the black stuff would come off the rubber part (I assumed it was stain from the Black Walnut tree that drips onto our deck--and everything else in our world--and stains stuff black) BUT....now I wonder whether I had black knobs or gray. Yes, the black comes off...sorta.

But not in any way that makes the knobs look good.

Weber old knobs as clean as it gets.jpgWeber old knob side view.jpgWeber old knobs broken one.jpg

What color knobs did these grills come with in 2012? Is there a standard?

It looks like I may need to go ahead and get new knobs. Someone linked to a set of knobs earlier in this thread. But given my confusion about color, I wanted to check.

Thanks in advance, all.

I got this last summer, thinking I would learn to slow cook meat (like pork butts, etc) on the Weber kettle, cuz I met a new friend with five Weber kettles, who smokes meat and cooks on his kettles constantly

I'm of the opinion that every homeowner should have at least
one old Weber to grill on at least once or twice a year to get
that good old charcoal grilled tasting food that is impossible
to get on a gasser. Some here will dispute that, especially if
they simply hate the taste, so I would give them a free pass.
BUT ..... if smoking and slow cooking is what you are primarily
looking to do..... BUY THE WEBER SMOKEY MOUNTAIN. It is
so much easier to smoke on than a kettle, and with much better
and consistent results. You can also fins used ones that have
barely been used typically for about the same price as a used
kettle.

Latest question for the Refurb folks: Knobs---

I let these old knobs soak for a couple of days, thinking the black stuff would come off the rubber part (I assumed it was stain from the Black Walnut tree that drips onto our deck--and everything else in our world--and stains stuff black) BUT....now I wonder whether I had black knobs or gray. Yes, the black comes off...sorta.

But not in any way that makes the knobs look good.

View attachment 55991View attachment 55992View attachment 55993

What color knobs did these grills come with in 2012? Is there a standard?

It looks like I may need to go ahead and get new knobs. Someone linked to a set of knobs earlier in this thread. But given my confusion about color, I wanted to check.

Thanks in advance, all.

The knobs were grey. Soak oven night in Dawn and then hit them w/ a scrub brush.
Some of that simply may not come out though.

I'm of the opinion that every homeowner should have at least
one old Weber to grill on at least once or twice a year to get
that good old charcoal grilled tasting food that is impossible
to get on a gasser. Some here will dispute that, especially if
they simply hate the taste, so I would give them a free pass.
BUT ..... if smoking and slow cooking is what you are primarily
looking to do..... BUY THE WEBER SMOKEY MOUNTAIN. It is
so much easier to smoke on than a kettle, and with much better
and consistent results. You can also fins used ones that have
barely been used typically for about the same price as a used
kettle.

So I was looking at pictures of the Smokey Mountain, and it looks a LOT like the Kamado. But it's NOT similar. Is it?

I don't want to give up my old kettle, and if I'm going to own it, I want to use it, so there is a method to my madness in wanting to refurb that and get it going. Partly, I think cooking with charcoal (beyond what I bought it for, which was a screaming hot sear for a steak) will teach me more about food and how to control heat that doesn't have a knob to turn it up or down. That's a skill I'd like to have. (I also want to learn to cook over open fire with one of those tripod thingies and dutch ovens--kind of a pioneer skill, if that makes sense?)

So....I will confess that I'm really confused about all the different Webers and what they do best, so I'm not gonna buy ANYTHING immediately. (She says....now you watch. TOMORROW there will be a Weber sitting beside the road for $10. You just WATCH. :rolleyes:

The knobs were grey. Soak oven night in Dawn and then hit them w/ a scrub brush.
Some of that simply may not come out though.

I did soak in Dawn. Used brushes...even a light attempt with steel wool. I may try it one more night since the grates aren't here anyhow.

I would order new ones. I know they still work, but it would add to the "new" look of your grill.
Ordering new ones is for chumps, simply steal them from Home Depot. Then Home Depot can keep stealing knobs from their other grills until they are left with one grill without any knobs and blow that one out on clearance. That's the way some people seem to roll around here.

In all seriousness, if you order new ones, keep the old as spares.

Also, there was a time when I would stop my car every time I saw an appliance by the curb and I would take the knobs. My dryer needed a new know and the replacement was too expensive for my taste. I ended up finding a replacement knob and I used a sharpie mark as the arrow on the knob because the actual arrow wasn't pointing the right way. My stove was old and needed a knob that wasn't available, so I took a lot of knobs home from the curb and eventually found some that worked.

The $20-ish price point will make that a winner for me, if the performance is just as good. Maybe can put a higher-end one on the wish list, since I'm dropping a bit of change on this refurb and getting set up.
This is a perfect fit for what you are asking for. Mine has kind of been co-opted by my wife and aunt-in-law as the kitchen thermometer. I have bought them as gifts and like Bruce think they are the best value out there:

ThermoPro TP19H Digital Meat Thermometer for Cooking with Ambidextrous Backlit and Motion Sensing Kitchen Cooking Food Thermometer for BBQ Grill Smoker Oil Fry Candy Instant Read Thermometer https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07XXSYLL8/?tag=tvwb-20

Last edited by a moderator:
I am with Jon and Bruce on the ThermoPro TP19H. I have the TP19 which came out before the TP19H and I love it. The H is about half the price and is your best bang for your buck for instant read thermometers. I also have four other ThermoPro thermometers and have had no trouble with them.

I sort of agree, however...

Given a choice to have:
A: any genesis x000 or older
B: any three burner silver or gold
C: any 300 series side control (2007 to 2010)
D: a front control E330

Its an easy choice for me. The 330 wins in all areas except:
A: classic styling
B: rotisserie cooks

We all have preferences...
Dan I'm reading back through the thread. Repetition is necessary for my poor brain to pick up on things these days.

I see that you chose the E330. So I googled "Weber E330." And I got several different grills.

You obviously know more history than I likely will ever absorb, so which ones are you considering "classic styling" and/or any other reasons for thinking those are best grills.

In case you are wondering, yes, I'm trying to imprint on my mind, which grills might be really good gets for me to grab for a good price and rehab for many of the reasons y'all have stated in this thread--a second grill---a grill down by the fire pit cuz....a grill down by the firepit, yaknow?

Ordering new ones is for chumps, simply steal them from Home Depot. Then Home Depot can keep stealing knobs from their other grills until they are left with one grill without any knobs and blow that one out on clearance. That's the way some people seem to roll around here.

Also, there was a time when I would stop my car every time I saw an appliance by the curb and I would take the knobs. My dryer needed a new know and the replacement was too expensive for my taste. I ended up finding a replacement knob and I used a sharpie mark as the arrow on the knob because the actual arrow wasn't pointing the right way. My stove was old and needed a knob that wasn't available, so I took a lot of knobs home from the curb and eventually found some that worked.

ZZZ I love this post.jpg

This is a perfect fit for what you are asking for. Mine has kind of been co-opted by my wife and aunt-in-law as the kitchen thermometer. I have bought them as gifts and like Bruce think they are the best value out there:

ThermoPro TP19H Digital Meat Thermometer for Cooking with Ambidextrous Backlit and Motion Sensing Kitchen Cooking Food Thermometer for BBQ Grill Smoker Oil Fry Candy Instant Read Thermometer https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07XXSYLL8/?tag=tvwb-20
Ordered. Thank you!

Last edited by a moderator:

I would do this but that's how I get new chains for my chainsaw, reciprocating saw blades, and drill bits, so I don't wanna push my luck.:censored:

😬

No. Not really. I'm totally lying.

But I love your post and I think we are similar in thinking. I was once driving through one of the local high-end residential neighborhoods on my way to somewhere else, when I slammed on the brakes and veered to the shoulder. I said to my husband, "Go get that cutting board on that stove!"

He immediately hopped out and ran to the appliance on the end of the driveway, grabbed the piece of wood on top, and ran back to the car. Door closed and I took off." He said, "How did you even see this and know what it was? "

Me: "You notice threats 100 yards away (He was a Special Forces guy years ago). I notice everything else. I'm just good like that."

He laughed, but I always slow down and scope out stuff on the side of the road. This I didn't even have to slow down for. It was a part for a Jenn Air kitchen range--my model at the time--and I'd wanted that cutting board that fit over one of the "elements" forever, but was not willing to pay $100 to get it. I disinfected it and it served me for 10 years!

Regarding sharpening a spatula -

I like to keep an edge on mine to separate frozen burgers, open packages, cut chicken breasts, scrape grates, and flip stuff.

I have Arkansas bench stones that I use to sharpen knives, but that would take much too long for what I do to my spatula. I have a big, cheap, course (also noticeably banana shaped) synthetic stone that I use. I just do a couple of passes, grinding about a forty-five degree angle off the top side of the front. It's not rocket science and takes thirty extra seconds every time I sharpen kitchen knives.

The knob thing is another example of what bothers me about Weber. They had perfectly good knobs that looks alright and cleaned up easily enough. Now, in an effort to make the product sexier, they have spent more money and actually made a knob that isn't as functional.

Last edited:

Back