Newbie with an old Genesis--learning to refurb!

All kidding aside, LeeHarvey's description is accurate and that's how you can tell just by looking at pictures of the grill which way the burners run.
So...in a picture like this, with the controls on the side...

Are there tubes or something running to the burners in the box? Or is it just wires under there, where squirrels and such can get to them?

1659415537466.png

The ends of the burner tubes are under the left edges of the three knobs. Here’s one of the better how-to videos that will show you what’s under the control panel:

I may kid around a lot, but I try to be genuinely helpful when I can.
I appreciate it more than you know.

It's like a person buying a used car for the first time. You need to take somebody with you who knows what they're looking at, yaknow?

I truly do appreciate all who are helping me learn.

In particular, if I am moving so quickly from cleaning up my old (not too bad shape) grill to buying a piece of whatever from marketplace, I need all the help I can get.

The ends of the burner tubes are under the left edges of the three knobs. Here’s one of the better how-to videos that will show you what’s under the control panel:
IT is SO annoying when they talk about stuff that is not in view of the camera!!!!!

I watched one earlier where the guy was talking about drilling out the burner tie-down screws. He then cut away, and when he came back, his discussion had turned to how he had to weld up the hole(s) he had made in the left wall of his fire box. I wanted to cry.

It is, indeed… but at least this guy didn’t try to butcher his fire box in the process of removing his burners.
I dunno anything about that. (I'm new) but he did a good job overall. Youtube is a learning curve, and I appreciate that he posted! I think I could figure out most of it. Bottom line is, though, that the burner tube ends and the wiring are all exposed to the elements under that cover. Ain't nuthin protecting them from underneath. Which makes putting this grill in an outdoor kitchen build make a lot of sense. Get it inside of something.

I watched one earlier where the guy was talking about drilling out the burner tie-down screws. He then cut away, and when he came back, his discussion had turned to how he had to weld up the hole(s) he had made in the left wall of his fire box. I wanted to cry.
This makes no sense. If he had done one internet search he would have landed on this site.

That sounds like a fun one, post the link! Believe it or not, in the short time I have been on this forum I have come across a few people that are better at destroying grills than fixing them.

That grill only has one igniter with two wires. It's way less complicated than your own grill. Oh, and two more wires that run to the sideburner.
You know...after taking MY grill apart, sort of, and looking at how this grill comes apart, I think mine is easier. :geek:

Except for that plate underneath my front panel. That thing made me cuss. And when I cuss, it's like four syllables. It's not pretty.

Just sayin. 😣

That sounds like a fun one, post the link! Believe it or not, in the short time I have been on this forum I have come across a few people that are better at destroying grills than fixing them.
Yes yes! Post it here! Help me learn from watching the stoopit!

It is a legitimate way to learn, as long as you have people on the side of the light to tell you what to listen to and what not.

I dunno anything about that. (I'm new) but he did a good job overall. Youtube is a learning curve, and I appreciate that he posted! I think I could figure out most of it. Bottom line is, though, that the burner tube ends and the wiring are all exposed to the elements under that cover. Ain't nuthin protecting them from underneath. Which makes putting this grill in an outdoor kitchen build make a lot of sense. Get it inside of something.
Cassondra, I'm not sure I understand what you're talking about on this. These grills are designed to sit outside and withstand all the elements and keep on ticking. This grill sat outside since 1998 and fired up on the first push of the button rain, snow, or shine every time.20220518_163722.jpg

Back