Newbie with an old Genesis--learning to refurb!

Apologies for being awol. I have a lot to look at and respond to. I may not get to all of it tonight, and I have some questions.

In the meantime, these things happened...

New lodge griddle.jpgNew mat thingy.jpg

I love that new little mat thingy that has a holder for the tongs. It's oxo and I found it at Meijer. I'm not sure I wouldn't like a bigger mat better though.

I admit that I am spoiled by the blackstone because I can just rake the grease into the little port at the back. This was a bit more difficult, but I love the way it cooks. I never want to light two appliances to feed two people if I can help it. The versatility this griddle adds to the Weber is perfect for us. If I do fried rice, then yeah, I need the Blackstone.

onions on the new lodge griddle.jpg

I have learned that I like burgers better with a griddle sear than I do just straight grilled.

So these are way too thick to be smashburgers, but it's semi-smashburgers I guess...on the Lodge griddle. Worked incredibly well. Thank you @DanHoo for recommending this tool.

semi smash burgers on the new lodge griddle.jpg

Don't remember if I posted this or not. I'm in a search for good homemade hot dog chili. Have not found it yet. So grilled onions and avocado was the last experiment. These are the onions I grilled on the lodge. Nope. I posted this before, and it is what set me on my path to political success based on the hot dog reform platform. Anyway.... I like them a tad past "carmelized." ;0)

Hot dogs with fried onions and avocado.jpg

marinated chicken legs.jpg

Last edited:
Everything except the Q and the Platinum C.

Okay, the SSP does have a gas tube to light the charcoal…
Okay I'm going back and reading because I know y'all just know all this stuff like the backs of your hands, but I have information overload. All the models...all the options....so..

What does SSP stand for? I read it and think "Subwarp Space Portal"

Or Stainless Steel Pan

Or Super Special Patina

You see how my brain works....

So what does it actually stand for? 🤓

Okay I'm going back and reading because I know y'all just know all this stuff like the backs of your hands, but I have information overload. All the models...all the options....so..

What does SSP stand for? I read it and think "Subwarp Space Portal"

Or Stainless Steel Pan

Or Super Special Patina

You see how my brain works....

So what does it actually stand for? 🤓
SUPER SONIC PORK

Flame Tamers work well for low temp simmer.

I have one like this but it's over 50 years old.

ChefLand Heat Master Flame Tamer, 8" https://www.amazon.com/dp/B016AORQZQ/?tag=tvwb-20
I JUST NOW got time to click on this link and look at it.

What I hear you saying is that on a side-burner with....sub-optimal.....heat control (@LeeHarvey see what I did there? :sneaky:) you can put this on top of the burner and have more even heating across the bottom of the pan/skillet/pot?

No issues with overheating the appliance?

I will admit to you that I squint at this and think, "that's gonna cause problems."

But then I look at two things:

1-The one you use is 50 years old, which means these have been around a long time

and..

2-It's YOU. And I have observed, in my short time here, that you don't waste anybody's time with BS. (Which I appreciate)

So....can you talk a little more about this thingy and how you use it?

AND... I'd be interested in how you came to have one that is 50 years old. I love stories. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I JUST NOW got time to click on this link and look at it.

What I hear you saying is that on a side-burner with....sub-optimal.....heat control (@LeeHarvey see what I did there? :sneaky:) you can put this on top of the burner and have more even heating across the bottom of the pan/skillet/pot?

No issues with overheating the appliance?

I will admit to you that I squint at this and think, "that's gonna cause problems."

But then I look at two things:

1-The one you use is 50 years old, which means these have been around a long time

and..

2-It's YOU. And I have observed, in my short time here, that you don't waste anybody's time with BS. (Which I appreciate)

So....can you talk a little more about this thingy and how you use it?

AND... I'd be interested in how you came to have one that is 50 years old. I love stories. :)

I'm not really sure of the history of this, but I've had it for a long, long time.

I use it on my gas cooktop.
I've used it on my gas grill side burner.

It simply works to help a pot simmer.

here's a few pics. I also have a newer one that I bought in the last 20 years. It works well too.

20220809_213540.jpg20220809_213545.jpg

20220809_213613.jpg

I'm not really sure of the history of this, but I've had it for a long, long time.

I use it on my gas cooktop.
I've used it on my gas grill side burner.

It simply works to help a pot simmer.

here's a few pics. I also have a newer one that I bought in the last 20 years. It works well too.

View attachment 57145View attachment 57146

View attachment 57147

Okay so your old one...that's just heating evenly, and sending the extra heat and gasses out the side ports.

And your newer one....it's just spreading out the heat through bunches of little holes.

It makes sense. And now if I see one of the old Flame Tamers at an antique store, I'll grab it for certain! 😁

$30 on fleabay

Ah, man. Look at this one!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/4038135076...yuGJxNdgVGODG6ay4K6a|ampid:PL_CLK|clp:2563228

But I'm gonna use the thing! I hate to get it and destroy that collectible box and all....

My mom's name was Dorothy.

Back