Newbie with an old Genesis--learning to refurb!

Okay so your old one...that's just heating evenly, and sending the extra heat and gasses out the side ports.

And your newer one....it's just spreading out the heat through bunches of little holes.

It makes sense. And now if I see one of the old Flame Tamers at an antique store, I'll grab it for certain! 😁

The old one decided to hide in a box in a garage for a few years after moving. I'm not sure why it was in extra "camping stuff" but it was.

The new one works pretty well and has a nifty handle to move it around. I don't think it is as retro looking, but it seems to work well too.

I'll bet you have beautiful flowers growing over it

No, actually. Weeds that I mow along with the rest of the salad bar that is my lawn. I turn my customers' lawns into golf-course gorgeous. But mine gets mowed when I get to it. Mowed it today. It was almost to my knees. (That's terrible for grass, in case anyone doesn't know.)

No, actually. Weeds that I mow along with the rest of the salad bar that is my lawn. I turn my customers' lawns into golf-course gorgeous. But mine gets mowed when I get to it. Mowed it today. It was almost to my knees. (That's terrible for grass, in case anyone doesn't know.)
I cut my grass today too. It was only about six or seven inches though. We actually got a fair amount of rain lately and it started growing again. You must live in the country, if I let it get that long I will get a visit from a town official.

I cut my grass today too. It was only about six or seven inches though. We actually got a fair amount of rain lately and it started growing again. You must live in the country, if I let it get that long I will get a visit from a town official.
Yes. Very rural. When we moved here, there was nothing but one house to our left (looking at the front of our home) and cows and corn/soybean fields everywhere else.

Now there is a grain field in front of us, but houses lining the street for several hundred yards. Fortunately it's all folks who want country life, so we all have chickens, and some have pigs and other livestock. If I had any kind of HOA or regulations, I'd be in jail. I spend all my energy on other people's landscapes. Mine comes last.

I can’t believe nobody took the opportunity to say that the SSS didn’t last long on the market because it was prone to air leaks.

You all disappoint me.

What I hear you saying is that on a side-burner with....sub-optimal.....heat control (@LeeHarvey see what I did there? :sneaky:) you can put this on top of the burner and have more even heating across the bottom of the pan/skillet/pot?

No issues with overheating the appliance?

I will admit to you that I squint at this and think, "that's gonna cause problems."
In the restaurant industry, they often put regular aluminum pans on top of Viking-style gas burners to make sauce. A common hack is to get a large tin can lid to keep between the burner and the pots. Less sticking and burning without fancy pots.

In the restaurant industry, they often put regular aluminum pans on top of Viking-style gas burners to make sauce. A common hack is to get a large tin can lid to keep between the burner and the pots. Less sticking and burning without fancy pots.
So I've got a question about the cast iron griddle...about the stainless steel grates....about seasoning in general actually.

Last summer we bought a Blackstone griddle, and I bet I watched 200 hours of videos on "how to season a griddle". Cuz I watched most of them multiple times.

I came to the conclusion that seasoning is not rocket science. My mom was good at it. She would burn off the crud on a cast iron skillet by putting it in the coals of a hot fire and leaving it overnight, as I previously described. Then when she got it out and pronounced it a decent skillet, she cleaned it with an SOS pad, washed it with dish soap, wiped it dry, wiped it with a light coating of whatever oil she had (often it was probably lard) and stuck it in her oven, on very low heat, overnight. In the morning, you had the slickest, blackest skillet you ever did see.

At this point, the skillet took its place in her kitchen, OR she gave it to one of her two daughters. (My mom yard sale shopped for us until she no longer could, looking for good cast iron.)

So the Blackstone. ALL the cool people said to clean it with water (while on low heat) after cooking, then seal it with a light coating of oil (no shocker there) and cook that ON HIGH HEAT for ten minutes.

Now then, according to my mom, high heat was NOT THE WAY NOT THE WAY, TURN THAT HEAT DOWN, PRIVATE, AND GIVE ME TWENTY!

So here I am, with this NEW LODGE griddle. The only wrench in the works, is that it's sitting on a GRILL. A GAS grill where low heat can be had, I think, with one burner, and the lid propped open.

So I'm about to plop some skinless salmon on this grill, and my instincts say, "don't put it on the stainless grates. I think I'll lose half of it.

SO...I can always sear it on the griddle.

But that griddle is still kinda rough, so Ima lose some seared fish on that rough surface.

I would like to have a discussion about sophisticated seasoning techniques for use in this instance. My GOOD cast iron skillets (via mom) are as smooth as glass. Cuz...they're seasoned the way a skillet should be. The Lodge griddle...it ain't that smooth.

SO.... (once my oven is installed in my kitchen--God knows when I'll get THAT done) I can bring this griddle in and season it to my mom's standards.

But in the meantime, I've got the Weber. (no indoor range. Just a toaster oven, and that won't take the griddle)

I would like to know if there is a way to season this new griddle the way it should be, to a smooth surface (that takes several coats I think, cuz it is not a smooth surface--hmmm...maybe I need to grind it down a little)

I have observed that discussions about seasoning cast iron are as divisive as discussions about beans in chili or 9mm vs .45.

So even though it's a risk to ask this question....

Tell me how y'all, who love grills and grilling, season stuff that you use on the grill?

Back