Newbie advice?...with a Visions Grill Pro C model

Alex Mack

I am looking to get a couple HeaterMeter projects going after finding it during a search for an digital thermometer that has wifi acess. It looks awesome and I have a couple rpi B just sitting around. I think I have decided to go with the thermocouple board just so I have the best and not need a rebuild for a long time :) Before I do, I just want to get some advice...

1) I have a Visions Grill Pro C model which is the one that has the dials (shown below)...anyone have an idea how to attach the blower/damper?...Or do I just build without it, as my original reasons for building was for the wireless sensors and my Kamado does keep constant temperature and my MES is electrically regulated already.

2) I am in Canada and after chatting with Bryan Mayland (who by the way answered my email so quickly while I was waiting for approval on this site) told me that although he does send equipment to Canada it is expensive shipping...just wondering if anyone has extras...or if in toronto if anyone wants to do a group order to split shipping.

3) It also seems the HeaterMeter store is sold out on the 3D cases...anyone have extras or a place to get in Toronto, Canada?

4) Am I right building the thermocouple version? I do have a smoker and kamado (40" MES and the Visions Kamado)...so I want it to work in low temps (<100F for cold smoking) and in high temps (>900F for pizza baking). Also, anyone bought the K type thermocouples available at aliexpress? Am I dumb to use the cheapest high temp sensors? Any suggestions?

c-series3.png

Anxiously awaiting any advice...thanks in advance.

Heya Alex,

Im currently using the Vision Grill Pro C Model, with my heatermeter right now :)

1) I have a blower and damper attached(Ralphs RD3) and it works amazing. I used the BBQ guru plate.

B800-1001-126.jpg

https://www.bbqguru.com/StoreNav?CategoryId=2&ProductId=20

2) Again, Ralph printed me and shipped my case and RD3 to Winnipeg :) Was super affordable :)

3) Again Ralph is the man :)

4)I would recommend using a thermocouple, they have a heavy duty clamp for easy grill attachment... and you dont need to worry about overcooking them with other ambient sensors. I would personally recommend
TC-K3MM-C.jpg

http://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=20_3&products_id=327

Any other questions or ways I can help don't hesitate to send me a PM :)

Be careful of that auberins probe. Although, mine still works, the thermocouple wire came out of the probe end, only after a few smokes.

Be careful of that auberins probe. Although, mine still works, the thermocouple wire came out of the probe end, only after a few smokes.
I bought one from Amazon that looks just like this probe, except it didn't have the K type jack on it, nor the clip to hold it on the grill. However, I had the exact same problem. The probe fell between the ceramic parts of my green egg, and not thinking, I pulled up on the wire to retrieve it. It was stuck, the wire pulled out of the metal probe case, and now my temperature reading is off. I think I'm going to order something from Thermoworks. They haven't failed to impress me yet.

This is my DIY unit and it's been working out really well.

$5 for the TC on ebay. Search for "EGT K Type Thermocouple for Exhaust Gas Temperature Probe with M5 Threads"

Threaded into a maverick clip (2 for $5.00) available here.

1mlgXFtl.jpg

I use the same clip, but with the long thin high heat TC needle probe from Thermoworks. I put the clip in the grate then push the needle probe through until the body (threads) of the probe reach the lid gasket. The probe is thin enough so the lid closes properly over it and gasket seals just fine around it. The probe protrudes almost halfway into the pit at grate level, this rig works great too. I love those little clips (mine were a gift from my Uncle, never thought to buy them myself, but he was right, I needed them... THANKS Uncle!)

Back