New Years Cheese

Don Cash

TVWBB Gold Member
Got a late start on my cheese this year so it wont be mellowed by Christmas...no prob, New Year's Cheese this year.

Pepper Jack, Cheddar and Gouda...

Two blurry coals.

Set-up.

Heat. Why won't those two coals come into focus?

Wood.

Cold.

Cheese.

Smoke.

Done.

Happy Holidays!!

Don, love to hear more about your methods, aging, why you do what you do, that sort of thing. I have the cheese and the tools but have never done it:p.

No problem, Gary.

Really the only way to screw it up is to get the cooker too hot and melt the cheese. I try to keep it under 90*. This run never went above 60.

I cut the cheese {snort} and then put it in the freezer while setting everything up. An old coffee can in the bottom of the WSM with a layer of unlit. Two lit on top. Some fire bricks for an added heatsink. Water pan full of ice to help keep temps down. I used a mixture of apple, cherry and oak chips (it's what I had) in foil on top of the lit coals. Cheese on the bottom rack directly over the ice. Let er go for about an hour. Couldn't be easier.

It's important to let it mellow in the fridge, wrapped tightly in Saran Wrap for a few weeks or it will taste like an ashtray.

No problem, Gary.
It's important to let it mellow in the fridge, wrapped tightly in Saran Wrap for a few weeks or it will taste like an ashtray.

I've heard the aging is an important part and also not leaving in the smoke too long.
Thanks Don.

Geeze your cheese looks good Don!
Great to see you posting again.
Hope you and your family have a very Merry Christmas!

Very nice Don!!! I just smoked some cheese to send to my Dad and added some shelled hard boiled eggs too, they turned out really good! Did you have any problems with condensation dripping on your coals? I tried adding ice to my water pan once and condensation was dripping on my coals. I had to move my coals to the side to prevent that from happening.

This is a great post, Don. I don't know much about smoking cheese (I do love eating smoked cheese, however), so I found your photos were very informative. Thanks for the excellent photo documentation.

Did you have any problems with condensation dripping on your coals? I tried adding ice to my water pan once and condensation was dripping on my coals. I had to move my coals to the side to prevent that from happening.

John, In the past I've always smoked cheese in the kettle but had so much this year I decided to use the WSM. Condensation dripping never even crossed my mind. Makes sense. Guess it didn't happen because I had smoke the whole hour. I had a pretty big foil packet over the coals so maybe it protected them. Something to think about next time for sure. Thanks.

It is nice to see you back here, bro.
These cheeses look delicious to white as well as red ...;)
I wish you Happy Christmas, Don.

Back