New WSM 22.5 - Looking for Some Advice

MickHLR

TVWBB Fan
I’ve been smoking meat for a lot of years, and have been using an Old Country Wrangler stick burner for the past 3-4 years. I have smoked a lot of good meat on the Wrangler, but I’ve been looking at adding a smoker that doesn’t take up all my time fiddling with it. I can’t afford $2-$5K on a good stick burner. I don’t like the pellet smokers. I don’t like the propane smokers. And, I think the $1200 for an XL BGE is ridiculous. So, being a Weber fan from way back, the WSM 22.5 seems to be a good choice. And, after much deliberation, I went ahead and ordered a WSM 22.5 from Home Depot over the weekend. It is supposed to be in by Saturday.

I smoke a lot of beef ribs, brisket, and beef sausage. (Hey! Beef is what we do in Texas!) But, I also do some turkey breasts, spare ribs, chicken, and an occasional pork butt.

So, basically what I want to learn to do is to be able to produce the same quality of smoked meat on the WSM, as I’ve been able to do on the stick burner…but without all the time required to sit and watch the temps on the Wrangler. I’m getting too old to sit out on the patio for 8-12 hour smokes, almost constantly watching temps, stoking the fire, adding wood, etc.

I’ve read where some people say the 18.5 WSM is easier to hold temp than the 22.5. Is that true? How about it, WSM 22.5 owners? What is your secret to keep your WSM 22.5 holding temp? I assumed the temp would adjust with the bottom vents, same as the 18.5. What temp does the 22.5 WSM like to run at? I’ve read some posts saying they like to run around 275*, while the 18.5 WSM likes to run around 225*.

I’ve also read where some people say they didn’t season their WSM at all. I don’t know about that, as I normally season anything…from my 26” Weber Kettle grill, to my Weber Genesis propane grill. BTW…the $800 I spent on the E-330 Genesis was a total waste of money, as now that I have the 26” kettle, I never use the propane grill. And, since I’ve had several 22” Weber Kettles, as well as several other Weber propane grills through the years, I’ve become accustomed to Weber quality, and that’s why I started looking at the WSM.

How much wood do you use? Does the size of the wood chips make it burn hotter? I know lump charcoal makes any of them burn hotter. One thing I’m worried about is getting a good smoky taste and smoke ring on my meat. With the Wrangler, I only use about ¾ of a Weber charcoal starter of charcoal, just to get everything started. After that, I use wood for the entire smoke. I keep a 1/3 cord red oak splits, 1/3 cord of post oak splits, and 1/3 cord of hickory splits, just for smoking. Those splits are about 14”-16”. Will they be too large to use in a WSM 22.5? Of course, I can saw off a lot of chunks for use in the WSM from my smoking wood splits stacks. I’m just wondering how much to use, and what size? I’m sure I’ll learn what I can do, but just looking for a good starting point.

I seasoned my 22" WSM with a pound of bacon then the first few cooks were chicken, fatties, and pork butt. Now I can start the fire, put ribs on, leave for a cpl hrs, come back and the temp never hits above 250*F. I actually struggle to get indirect high heat for poultry.

I am a more is less guy when it comes to smoke wood. I prefer to avoid what I call the ashtray effect. I use lump which already gives a nice flavor and use smoke wood like a strong spice -- a little goes a long way IMO. Lump and a cpl chunks of wood early on gets me a nice smoke ring on a packer, ribs, or butt. http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/smoke-ring-basics-what-you-need-to-know.html YMMV.

Last edited:
I seasoned mine doing a high temp 300-325 turkey. I let the drippings fall in to the bare dry water pan. As the fat and moisture hits the hot pan it splatters leaving a fine coat of grease on the inside, and a little bit on the outside of the lid.

Regarding smoking wood size... Since your heat will come from charcoal (briquettes and/or lump) rather than wood splits, the wood chunks need to be "roughly" baseball or fist size. They are only there for smoke, not heat. Airflow is so different between what you've experience in the log burner and what you will experience with the WSM. Less IS More !

I’ve been smoking meat for a lot of years, and have been using an Old Country Wrangler stick burner for the past 3-4 years. I have smoked a lot of good meat on the Wrangler, but I’ve been looking at adding a smoker that doesn’t take up all my time fiddling with it. I can’t afford $2-$5K on a good stick burner. I don’t like the pellet smokers. I don’t like the propane smokers. And, I think the $1200 for an XL BGE is ridiculous. So, being a Weber fan from way back, the WSM 22.5 seems to be a good choice. And, after much deliberation, I went ahead and ordered a WSM 22.5 from Home Depot over the weekend. It is supposed to be in by Saturday.

I smoke a lot of beef ribs, brisket, and beef sausage. (Hey! Beef is what we do in Texas!) But, I also do some turkey breasts, spare ribs, chicken, and an occasional pork butt.

So, basically what I want to learn to do is to be able to produce the same quality of smoked meat on the WSM, as I’ve been able to do on the stick burner…but without all the time required to sit and watch the temps on the Wrangler. I’m getting too old to sit out on the patio for 8-12 hour smokes, almost constantly watching temps, stoking the fire, adding wood, etc.

I’ve read where some people say the 18.5 WSM is easier to hold temp than the 22.5. Is that true? How about it, WSM 22.5 owners? What is your secret to keep your WSM 22.5 holding temp? I assumed the temp would adjust with the bottom vents, same as the 18.5. What temp does the 22.5 WSM like to run at? I’ve read some posts saying they like to run around 275*, while the 18.5 WSM likes to run around 225*.

I’ve also read where some people say they didn’t season their WSM at all. I don’t know about that, as I normally season anything…from my 26” Weber Kettle grill, to my Weber Genesis propane grill. BTW…the $800 I spent on the E-330 Genesis was a total waste of money, as now that I have the 26” kettle, I never use the propane grill. And, since I’ve had several 22” Weber Kettles, as well as several other Weber propane grills through the years, I’ve become accustomed to Weber quality, and that’s why I started looking at the WSM.

How much wood do you use? Does the size of the wood chips make it burn hotter? I know lump charcoal makes any of them burn hotter. One thing I’m worried about is getting a good smoky taste and smoke ring on my meat. With the Wrangler, I only use about ¾ of a Weber charcoal starter of charcoal, just to get everything started. After that, I use wood for the entire smoke. I keep a 1/3 cord red oak splits, 1/3 cord of post oak splits, and 1/3 cord of hickory splits, just for smoking. Those splits are about 14”-16”. Will they be too large to use in a WSM 22.5? Of course, I can saw off a lot of chunks for use in the WSM from my smoking wood splits stacks. I’m just wondering how much to use, and what size? I’m sure I’ll learn what I can do, but just looking for a good starting point.

I thought you all mainly did pork ribs down there...lol:confused:

I'll let more seasoned vets fill those other questions...

I absolutely seasoned my 22 (3 step process) and I used baseball to softball sized chucks, though I won't admit how many I use because it's probably entirely too many (fruit wood mostly)...:p

You won't be let down by the 22, just keep in mind that it will run hotter for the first few cooks.

1) holding T with 22 WSM. My secret is BBQGURU + CB door + gasket at lid basement + pizza stone (water pan was removed) + very few water in drip pan. This set up allows me hours hours hours of steady 250F. I must say I hardly can get less than 250F, but that is my cooking temp.

2) My seasoning process is here: https://flic.kr/s/aHsk6mbs5c

3) how much wood you ask for. Well personally I moved from 100% split cook to only small cips pouch. I'm still studing but for some months I have cooked with 2-3 splits buried in charcoal. I like very much the result (for me no ashtray taste or bitter, expect once), but recently I was wondering why I couldn't taste any rub and therefore I have to re-rub just before the sauce. So I cut the smoking wood quantity to 1 split always buried (in my experience I sow that buried wood splits were burnt muche better (almost completely) than the splits over the burning charcoal.
My last attemp at beef plate ribs with only 1 split caused A real taste result (I could feel the rub) but I did not like the color(lighter than usual).
You can check all My attempt at https://www.flickr.com/photos/bbqnessdotcom/albums

1) holding T with 22 WSM. My secret is BBQGURU + CB door + gasket at lid basement + pizza stone (water pan was removed) + very few water in drip pan. This set up allows me hours hours hours of steady 250F. I must say I hardly can get less than 250F, but that is my cooking temp.

2) My seasoning process is here: https://flic.kr/s/aHsk6mbs5c

3) how much wood you ask for. Well personally I moved from 100% split cook to only small cips pouch. I'm still studing but for some months I have cooked with 2-3 splits buried in charcoal. I like very much the result (for me no ashtray taste or bitter, expect once), but recently I was wondering why I couldn't taste any rub and therefore I have to re-rub just before the sauce. So I cut the smoking wood quantity to 1 split always buried (in my experience I sow that buried wood splits were burnt muche better (almost completely) than the splits over the burning charcoal.
My last attemp at beef plate ribs with only 1 split caused A real taste result (I could feel the rub) but I did not like the color(lighter than usual).
You can check all My attempt at https://www.flickr.com/photos/bbqnessdotcom/albums

Thanks much Enrico. So, a BBQ Guru to help hold temp? They make several, which one do you use? Good info on the splits. So, you actually put a rub, and sauce, on beef ribs? I only use course ground black pepper and kosher salt, about 2-1 pepper to salt. That's the Texas taste profile for beef ribs.

Thanks much Enrico. So, a BBQ Guru to help hold temp? They make several, which one do you use? Good info on the splits. So, you actually put a rub, and sauce, on beef ribs? I only use course ground black pepper and kosher salt, about 2-1 pepper to salt. That's the Texas taste profile for beef ribs.

ATC's like the guru are great but you can manage without with some practice. I have a pitmaster Iq and it helps but if you start with the right amount of lit and minion start it holds temp fairly well with out. The more I cook, the less I worry about exact temp. As long as I'm in range I am happy and so is my food :)

ATC's like the guru are great but you can manage without with some practice. I have a pitmaster Iq and it helps but if you start with the right amount of lit and minion start it holds temp fairly well with out. The more I cook, the less I worry about exact temp. As long as I'm in range I am happy and so is my food :)

Sort of my issue; I try and chase perfect temps and probably shouldn't because I'm always between 260-275.

Are you all able to achieve over night cooks with as-is?

That was exactly my thoughts when smoking with my stickburner Charlie. I normally let it run where it was happy, and that is normally around 275*. And that would fluctuate from 250* to 290*. Never hurt a thing. It took enough work to do that...no way possible to be precise with an inexpensive stick burner. My only reason for wanting to go the WSM route, is thinking it would be easier. We'll see.

That was exactly my thoughts when smoking with my stickburner Charlie. I normally let it run where it was happy, and that is normally around 275*. And that would fluctuate from 250* to 290*. Never hurt a thing. It took enough work to do that...no way possible to be precise with an inexpensive stick burner. My only reason for wanting to go the WSM route, is thinking it would be easier. We'll see.

I used to seek temperatures perfection but I have learned that it's not worth stress. I'm no competition pitmaster, I'm just a dude in his backyard looking for some ribs.

I do still use a pitmasterIQ sometimes, but I think it's out of habit as it was a gift, if I didn't have it I'd be ok. For me, managing my quantity of lit coal at the start of the cook is what determines temp. If I start with a small amount of lit coals (15,20,25 depending on weather and wind) and keep vents barely cracked to start I find target temp without a ton of fiddling. You just need to catch temp on the way up because once it's up, it stays up.

Also having some gunk from old cooks helps regulate temp. New WSM's have shiny walls that reflect heat and gaps leak more air. Some smokey gunk cures both problems.

Last edited:
The Old Country Wrangler is a pretty nice middle of the road offset. I've got the Pecos which is slighly longer but has thinner steel. I started with it and eventually got at WSM 22.5 and couldn't be happier. I kept the offset for when I feel like I need to scratch that itch but I do 90% of my cooks on the WSM (if I don't use my kettle). I know the reviews of the 22.5 vs the 18 on the Amazingribs.com website seem to indicate that it is much harder to run the 22.5 at lower temps. I haven't run both but after running my 22.5 for a while I have little issue keeping temps. I don't use ATCs. I do use a remote thermometer.

Most of the learning curve is dealing with a vertical smoker vs. and offset. Catching your temp on the way up is vital. You can lower the temp but it takes forever. You can't let off extra heat by opening the lid. That just gives the coals more oxygen. It's also important not to get too fiddly with the vents. The vertical smoker seems to take longer to react to a vent tweak. You'll yo yo all over the place if you get too obsessive.

Last edited:
The Old Country Wrangler is a pretty nice middle of the road offset. I've got the Pecos which is slighly longer but has thinner steel. I started with it and eventually got at WSM 22.5 and couldn't be happier. I kept the offset for when I feel like I need to scratch that itch but I do 90% of my cooks on the WSM (if I don't use my kettle). I know the reviews of the 22.5 vs the 18 on the Amazingribs.com website seem to indicate that it is much harder to run the 22.5 at lower temps. I haven't run both but after running my 22.5 for a while I have little issue keeping temps. I don't use ATCs. I do use a remote thermometer.

Most of the learning curve is dealing with a vertical smoker vs. and offset. Catching your temp on the way up is vital. You can lower the temp but it takes forever. You can't let off extra heat by opening the lid. That just gives the coals more oxygen. It's also important not to get too fiddly with the vents. The vertical smoker seems to take longer to react to a vent tweak. You'll yo yo all over the place if you get too obsessive.

Dustin, that is the most informative info I have received so far about this. Somebody who knows exactly what I'm talking about. Two things you said that make a lot of sense, and is totally opposite of the Wrangler: "Catching your temp on the way up is vital." and "You can't let off extra heat by opening the lid." I think those two things are what I will have to keep reminding myself until I get used to smoking on the WSM...as neither are players on a stick burner. Thanks for your input. I know all about the Pecos as well, as that's what my son has. Like I said, I have smoked a lot of really good barbecue on the Wrangler...I'm just tired of spending ALL day watching it, adjusting temps, adding wood splits, etc. It just takes too much whiskey! LOL! Every once in while I would like to be able to just leave it alone, for at least an hour or two.

So, much great information from everyone in this forum. Thanks to all...I appreciate it.

Back