New WSM 18" -What do I need to successfully smoke a turkey on it?

MikeSid

TVWBB Member
I have an 18" WSM en-route. I want to smoke a turkey this year on thanksgiving. When it arrives I will get it nice and seasoned. Is an electric vent fan necessary? What should I get to make sure it goes smoothly? I will be using one of the brine recipes from the forum too.

Buy no attachments...yet! Go buy a Pork butt or two, a few bags of charcoal, some good smoke wood and start with those! I generally plan on an hour per pound for butts, start there.
That will get the smoker a little “tightened up” before you get to the Thanksgiving feast.

You don't really need anything for starters... Except a remote thermometer. I consider that an absolute must if you don't want to be going in and out every 30 minutes or so to check temperatures. and, you really want to know the temperature that your meat sees at the grate, not the temperature above it at the dome.

I'd take some old meat that you have in your freezer, pork or chicken, and cook it on high heat to give some grease to help seal everything up. the first thing I did was 10 lb of old chicken wings that have been in the freezer for 2 years. I picked them and fed to dogs and cat.

Last edited:

This is how I do mine...polar opposite. https://virtualweberbullet.com/seasoning-new-weber-bullet

Most important point...if you've never smoked a turkey before on a smoker, buy the cheapest 12 lb test turkey you can find and smoke it BEFORE Thanksgiving. You don't want to smoke your first turkey on the big day itself. Carve it up, wrap tightly in foil and seal in Ziploc bags (or seal using your FoodSaver) and freeze. It keeps well and you can enjoy it post-Thanksgiving.

As for the process, do whatever brine you like, then follow the process in this article starting at "Air-Dry The Turkey".

Good luck! Let us know how it goes.

I ran a chimney or so without food on my WSM so’s I could get an idea of fire control.
Definitely do at least a chicken for practice. A turkey would be better if possible.
Relax and remember- Don’t panic.

Also, when I do poultry I like to run with no water in the 325 - 350 range. An accurate probe thermometer will make it easier to get consistent results.

Last edited:
OK, thanks for all the tips! I picked up a 12lb Butterball today to practice with. Smoker should be here tomorrow. I also got some whole chicken and a pork butt to do before the official turkey day. I see a lot of folks doing different things with the water pan. I figure I will wrap mine with foil. I also ordered a thermopro TP20 dual probe thermometer. I used to soak my wood when I had a similar smoker years ago but I don't see anyone doing that. Is it not necessary? Also, are the big chunks necessary to keep the wood from burning up to quick?

OK, thanks for all the tips! I picked up a 12lb Butterball today to practice with. Smoker should be here tomorrow. I also got some whole chicken and a pork butt to do before the official turkey day. I see a lot of folks doing different things with the water pan. I figure I will wrap mine with foil. I also ordered a thermopro TP20 dual probe thermometer. I used to soak my wood when I had a similar smoker years ago but I don't see anyone doing that. Is it not necessary? Also, are the big chunks necessary to keep the wood from burning up to quick?

I only soak chips as needed. Almost never with chunks.
I wrap or line the water pan whether I use water or not. It just makes cleanup easier. I use water when the mood and the food need it.

You will have a few days of serious smoking ahead. Have a great time!!
Yes, chunks are the way to go, fist size are the “norm”, jump in and hold on!
The dual temp probe will be a help but, you don’t need to chase a ten degree window, you will make yourself crazy!

Have done lots of successful turkeys with nothing more than a totally stock WSM. If someday you decide that you do want an accessory to up your game though, this is a pretty good one.

TurkeySpinning.jpg

The big chunks last longer and foiling the water pan is a good thing with Poultry. Poultry skin doesn't like steam. I hope you've had a chance to cook on it and get a feel for adjusting the bottom vents. In my experience a Pork Butt can handle a lot more smoke than Poultry so keep that in mind when you decide on smoke wood quantity. Enjoy your cook.

I’ve always just thought of the WSM as a charcoal fired oven. With that in mind, I like to keep the temp at 325*F, add light smoke, and let the magic happen. Turned out great for years.

Ive been able to smoke a pork butt and a whole chicken and they both turned out excellent. We just used the leftovers and made Brunswick stew. I have a 12lb turkey i will be taking out of the brine tonight. I used the apple brine recipe on the forum. Im going to allow the turkey to air dry tonight and smoke tomorrow. That rotisserie for the WSM is really a great idea. I fell in love with my gasser rotisserie. I will keep the smoke light! I have cherry and pecan wood for it. Should I inject it also or is brine enough?

Ok, I did the practice turkey today and it turned out excellent! I am very happy with the flavors. I did inject half the bird with butter and Cavenders Greek seasoning and I think that side was the best but the other side was still very good and would be fine any day of the week but this is Thanksgiving! The turkey wings good too, better than any chicken wing I ever had and think I will be smoking more Turkeys in the future. I did the apple brine and air dry in fridge. I cooked in my 18" WSM around 350-375 with a couple spikes but quickly fixed by closing the bottom vents. This is my third cook and am very happy with my new WSM! I was gonna fry one and smoke but now am thinking will smoke both. Thanks again for all the tips!

th_E7DB3AD0-498B-409C-8A79-A6A7645A9AEE_zpsqslmoxwa.png
[/URL][/IMG]

Great! I am glad it all worked out for you! Another convert to the smoker! I’m going to spatchcock this years bird, won’t smoke it but, it will languish on the 22”.

Back