New Weber pellet grills for 2020

Chris Allingham

Administrator
Staff member
Please note updates indicated below.

9/23/19: Latest updates indicated below.

-----

I have it on good authority that Weber has two new pellet grills hitting the market in Jan/Feb/Mar 2020 called Weber SmokeFire.

The smaller 24" model sells for $999 and is similar to the Traeger Ironwood 780. The larger 36" model sells for $1199 and is similar to the Traeger Ironwood 885. Both grills are WiFi ready and include a better LCD screen than their Traeger counterparts. A new optional system called Weber Connect ($129) will offer WiFi connectivity via an enhanced iGrill-like tool that integrates with Alexa, so Alexa can tell you when your food is ready.

Both grills utilize a version of Weber's Flavorizer bar system to evenly distribute heat throughout the grill. Operating temperatures as high as 600°F can be achieved for searing in 15 minutes. Something about Flavorizer bars at each end of the grill and a solid surface between them in the middle.

Weber is trying to innovate and improve over the shortcomings of competitive offerings. Noting how often augers get clogged up, Weber's solution is to use a vertical auger system instead of horizontal. Pellets are fed at an upward angle until they fall into the fire pot. The new Weber pellet grills have a center-mounted auger and improved ash handling over Traeger grills.

Each grill will hold an entire bag of pellets. Weber will offer a pellet blend, as well as individual flavors like apple, hickory, etc. Twenty pound bags of pellets will sell for $16.99. In an attempt to address the concern of "lack of smoky flavor" from pellet grills, Weber pellets will feature a larger percentage of "flavor wood" vs. "base wood" as compared to competitive pellets.

The lid design is similar to Traeger, but plays on the look and construction of Genesis gas grill lids in terms of black porcelain-enameled coating, chrome banding on each end of the lid, and a chrome handle.

At this time, I have no information on whether these grills are being made by Weber or made for Weber, and no indication of country of origin.

Also, it's my understanding that the Weber pellet grill photo at KettleFreaks.com is a real product photo. You'll note in the photo that the grill has no front shelf, we'll have to wait and see if Weber offers an optional shelf like Traeger does for its Pro Series grills. My guess is that in addition to profitable pellets, these grills will present an opportunity for many new profitable accessories from Weber.

As I get more info, I will post it.

PRE-ORDER LINKS AT AMAZON.COM

EX4 24": https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B07XV2DN8H/tvwb-20
EX6 36": https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B07XV27MMN/tvwb-20

VINYL COVERS

Weber 7190 (for EX4, $59.99) and Weber 7191 (for EX6, $79.99) can be ordered at Weber.com.

LINKS TO PHOTOS AND VIDEOS

Both grills utilize a version of Weber's Flavorizer bar system to evenly distribute heat throughout the grill.

To my knowledge, most pellet poopers use a convection fan. Which if set too high can scatter ash all over ones food.

To my knowledge, most pellet poopers use a convection fan. Which if set too high can scatter ash all over ones food.

Maybe ash will be the next food craze. Heck, people are already eating charcoal for health benefits. (No thanks, I couldn't eat another briquette, er, I mean bite. :D )

Dear Board,

Please don't brand me as a traitor, but I bought a pellet grill earlier this Spring, and while I don't anticipate upgrading for a long time, I can say that I am very pleased that Weber is getting into the game. I still use all of my Weber kettles and my Genesis, but the pellet grill is so convenient. I only cook for myself and my wife. During the week if I want to do two pork chops for dinner it's a job for the pellet grill. On weekends I like to cook more so that leftovers can be used in soups or stews or other recipes, so I'll use the OTG more.

Let's just see where things go.

Regards,

Tim Murphy

Harrisburg, PA :D

Dear Tim,

This is a safe space. Don't worry, we will support you no matter how much you use your pellet grill. :D

Best,
Chris

Dear Board,

Please don't brand me as a traitor, but I bought a pellet grill earlier this Spring, and while I don't anticipate upgrading for a long time, I can say that I am very pleased that Weber is getting into the game. I still use all of my Weber kettles and my Genesis, but the pellet grill is so convenient. I only cook for myself and my wife. During the week if I want to do two pork chops for dinner it's a job for the pellet grill. On weekends I like to cook more so that leftovers can be used in soups or stews or other recipes, so I'll use the OTG more.

Let's just see where things go.

Regards,

Tim Murphy

Tim
You're going to lose your Weber card. You will be turned into the authorities and roundly prosecuted for your transgression :D :D

Please don't brand me as a traitor

Perhaps your post was in good humor but I cannot conceive of any logical reason that others would frown our individual means of turning out food for our families and friends. Heck; do we cook every single meal with charcoal, gas, or wood? Most of my meals are over an electric indoor stove and/or oven :) I have an electric smoker, a few WSM's, a barrel, various Kettles, propane stoves and gobs of accessories and I enjoy all of them. Somewhere down the road I might also add a pellet smoker.

That price point is way up there. I hope the Weber pellet pooper will be more reliable than the Traeger or Pit Boss. I have friends that have bought both brands, and my friends have a lot of problems with them.

It's all good

Perhaps your post was in good humor but I cannot conceive of any logical reason that others would frown our individual means of turning out food for our families and friends. Heck; do we cook every single meal with charcoal, gas, or wood? Most of my meals are over an electric indoor stove and/or oven :) I have an electric smoker, a few WSM's, a barrel, various Kettles, propane stoves and gobs of accessories and I enjoy all of them. Somewhere down the road I might also add a pellet smoker.

Dear BFletcher,

Rest assured I just messing around and meant no harm.

Like yourself, and I'm sure many people here, we all avail ourselves of every cooking tool we can get our hands on.

I just like to see more options for everyone!

Regards,

Tim Murphy

I am seriously considering a pellet cooker. I have a gasser, a Performer, and a WSM. Honestly I do not use the WSM as much as I thought I would, partially it seems like I am not home for long enough stretches on the weekends to watch it, kids sports, Honey Do Lists, etc. and thought a pellet, I know will not have the same taste as a WSM, maybe more convenient and get me close enough to what I want to cook. If Weber slaps a 10 year guarantee on it, then I would be interested for sure. If it is a standard warranty like other pellet makers, than I may have to look at a Green Mountain or Grilla because of the cost.

Time to start saving my pennies.

How is that the Lg one is going for $1200, wifi and all that computer junk in it, but the charcoal summit was around $2200? No motor, no computer, no wifi, but $1000 more? Come on Weber.

Been running a Pit Boss Austin LX for over a year with no problems,its not the same smoke/flavor profile as other styles of smokers but still good eats. I get a lot more sleep when doing long cooks. Sounds like its going to be double the price of mine, not sold on the higher $ cookers can make the food taste better than the lower priced, pellets limit comes into play. you have to run pellets lownslow to get a decent amount of smoke from them, also you or I should say I cant over smoke stuff due to the clean burn of the pellets . I have tried by running long hours at the smoke setting and you cant over smoke any thing. PB comes with a 5 year warranty now but was only 1 year when I bought mine.

I believe it's not a bad thing and it's not for everyone. It certainly appeals to me and I may get one. Not being tethered to my smokers really would be nice. Would I get rid of my WSM, not until I was convinced the pellet grill would meet my expectations.
I would keep my E320 sidewinder, Genesis 2000, performer as each of those have things a pellet grill can't do.
I'm working on Barb and she is seeing that it might be something that would make our outdoor cooking especially in the winter a more pleasurable experience.
Time will tell.

I will have to do some research on pellet grills. I know very little about them but I don't really envision myself getting into the pellet grill game. I just want to see what they are all about and what the fuss is all about now that Weber is jumping in.

Back