New Weber pellet grills for 2020

It doesn't look like that little burner receptacle would hold enough pellets to burn to get a grill very hot.

YQJf6kX.jpg

It does seems that way, but that is exactly how all pellet grills work. The size looks comparable to my Rec Tec and to others I have seen.

I am surprised that Weber is not offering some extra incentive for preordering. It seems like their primary goal for preordering is to have the Smokefire available as holiday gifts.

I don't think they feel the need to offer any incentive right now. The people who would even consider preordering a grill are already enthusiasts and can't wait to get their hands on it already. Now I sure would have liked a free cover with the preorder, but in all reality I preordered anyway without that incentive. They just wanted to get in the Christmas season and preorders are a good way to do it.

i contacted Weber about the fuel useage between the EX4 & EX6, asking if the EX6 would use more fuel due to its size.

John B (Weber-Stephen Products LLC)
Dec 3, 09:56 CST
Hello Ron,

Thanks for reaching out to us, and your interest in our SmokeFire grills!

Both models will consume about the same amount of pellets.

When set to 'low and slow' (200-27 F), they'll use about 1 to 2 pounds of pellets an hour.

When set to higher temps for searing (500 F+), they'll use about 3 to 5 pounds of pellets an hour.

Please let me know if you have more questions!

Thank you,

John
Marketing Associate, Online Consumer Care Americas Marketing

I was wondering the same thing. It's going to take more fuel to heat a larger oven, so given ranges of 1-2 pounds and 3-5 pounds I'd expect EX6 to be on the high end of those ranges.

Is the EX4 comparable to the Genesis II line with the 2 or 3 burners for cooking surface area ?
Is the EX6 comparable to the Genesis II line with the 4 or 6 burners for cooking surface area ?
I am referring to the actual cooking surface area (not the goofy upper warming rack that Weber also takes into consideration for sq cooking) just the area where the iron grates are located.

EX4 bottom cooking grate is 432 sq in, top cooking grate is 240 sq in.
EX6 bottom cooking grate is 648 sq in, top cooking grate is 360 sq in.

Genesis II E-310 cooking grate is 513 sq in, warming rack is 156 sq in.
Genesis II E-410 cooking grate is 646 sq in, warming rack is 198 sq in.
Genesis II E-610 cooking grate is 770 sq in, warming rack is 228 sq in (discontinued)

I was wondering the same thing. It's going to take more fuel to heat a larger oven, so given ranges of 1-2 pounds and 3-5 pounds I'd expect EX6 to be on the high end of those ranges.
Weber’s answer was a little funny, I think you are spot on that the EX6 will be the higher number and the EX4 the lower.

I've been doing so much research to eventually get a pellet smoker over the last couple months. My choices are really down to the Yoder YS640 and the Rec Tec RT-700. I thought my heart was finally set on the RT-700 and then Weber has to go and do this. I'm not usually one to jump on first versions of anything, though, and it still seems like the RT-700 is a mature project, while Weber - regardless of their strong reputation - are still likely to have some kinks to work out. Pretty sure I (or anyone) would be happy with any of the three though - Yoder, Rec Tec or Weber.

I've been doing so much research to eventually get a pellet smoker over the last couple months. My choices are really down to the Yoder YS640 and the Rec Tec RT-700. I thought my heart was finally set on the RT-700 and then Weber has to go and do this. I'm not usually one to jump on first versions of anything, though, and it still seems like the RT-700 is a mature project, while Weber - regardless of their strong reputation - are still likely to have some kinks to work out. Pretty sure I (or anyone) would be happy with any of the three though - Yoder, Rec Tec or Weber.

I would agree, but I think perhaps in some ways you are comparing three products with some definite distinctions. The Yoder is clearly the rugged and robust grill of the set. That doesn't mean it cooks better, and to be honest I would wonder if its electronics are as good as Rec Tec's. And it is priced a good notch higher. But this one is built like a tank to last a long time.

8kYScQJ.jpg

I think you hit it on the head about the Rec Tec being a "mature" product. They have been making the overall same basic design for a number of years. I have the RT-700 myself and can say it works VERY well and for the price is decently solid. I appreciate Rec Tec's more liberal use of stainless (not all 304) and their customer support (which I have not needed so far) is legendary. I have yet to have an unsatisfactory or unenjoyable cook with my Rec Tec. It doesn't look as cutting edge as it did a couple years ago, but I DO like how it looks. Those stainless bull horn handles are classic!

lUy6EXN.jpg

I think the Weber SmokeFire is an impressive move forward in the pellet grill world. It is still early, but the indications are good that Weber really worked hard at getting this right by investing serious engineering and comparison testing before they finalized this very important new product. Yes, I think the first adopters may have to put up with a few snags, but my belief at this point is that it will be overall a well functioning pellet grill and whatever software issues, etc. there may be will be worked out. It definitely does make my Rec Tec look a little bit dated in comparison, and my grill can't get to 600 degrees - ever.

OrrGjzd.jpg

I am laying money you will be seeing a new Rec Tec "flagship" pellet grill in the next year, or two years at the most. It will almost certainly do away with the unloved grease bucket and like Weber and Traeger go with vents rather than a smokestack and offer two or even three real shelves in a taller style. If Rec Tec does make a big change, I hope they will also bring new ideas to the market to keep everyone honest and interested. They are an excellent company and remind me of Weber back when George :george:was still at the helm.

Last edited:
The thing with Weber is that it will take a good year or more to start getting and real good feedback on the quality, durability and performance of the SmokeFire. It will be at least two to three years for them to make any significant design changes to address any short comings. So, if you are holding out for a possible Smokefire, you just as well go ahead and grab one right away IMO.

For those sitting on the fence right now, the best you can hope for is that you get several good detailed reviews through this web site in the first few months. However, that won't help much with the durability aspect.

The thing with Weber is that it will take a good year or more to start getting and real good feedback on the quality, durability and performance of the SmokeFire. It will be at least two to three years for them to make any significant design changes to address any short comings. So, if you are holding out for a possible Smokefire, you just as well go ahead and grab one right away IMO.

For those sitting on the fence right now, the best you can hope for is that you get several good detailed reviews through this web site in the first few months. However, that won't help much with the durability aspect.

I agree. I don’t think it makes sense waiting too long. I am planning on waiting for the spring though. This way, I get to see a few more reviews and also avoid putting the grill through a snowy NY winter.

I was leaning toward the EX4 but after looking at the comparison to the Genesis, I think the EX6 may be more practical if using it for both grilling and smoking.

FWIW ............ I went to a barbecue competition last June here in OKC, and while most competitors had Jambo offsets or drum smokers, I saw several pellet cookers and they were all Yoder. Either the 640 or the 1500, hard to tell diff if they both have the comp cart.

I’m just waiting, I’m in no rush, a buddy is going to jump on the bandwagon in the spring. I will wait for him to be my local ”Guinea pig”, he is an accomplished cook and I think I can trust his judgement but, it’s still a boat load of money.

FWIW ............ I went to a barbecue competition last June here in OKC, and while most competitors had Jambo offsets or drum smokers, I saw several pellet cookers and they were all Yoder. Either the 640 or the 1500, hard to tell diff if they both have the comp cart.

We see pellet cookers in competition here in California, including Traegers, Green Mountain and a few others whose names escape me at the moment...

Looks like some of the other Pellet Grill makers might be trying to dampen the Weber SmokeFire launch. I think this might be a pretty good deal on this Treager.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/2507802372824618/

Not even close to the new Weber if you ask me...The Traeger Timberline series is much higher priced than the Weber, but it is the only Traeger that is in the same ballpark from my perspective. And, it can't hit anything near 600 degrees. The Ironwood Traegers, which were Weber's apparent price benchmarks, I don't feel are anywhere near as nice as the respective Weber models.

I fully believe that. However, I just think Weber might be muddying up the water for the whole pellet grill market. We might see prices on other models and makes start to drop as well.

Just noticed Weber says these are shipping In January, that’s exciting!! Be a nice birthday present!

The release date for California is March 15th. They have to meet emission standards unique to California. And you will have to have it inspected yearly. And there will be a 60% carbon tax on pellets.

Last edited:
The release date for California is March 15th. They have to meet emission standards unique to California. And you will have to have it inspected yearly. And there will be a 60% carbon tax on pellets.
Lol, I hope not 🤞! I’m looking forward to trying this out, I was pumped about the Charcoal Summit and saw the prices and what it was, certainly not better than a kettle and WSM (which I already owned) at that price, this one has me hooked and the wife is on board, which as many of you know is a huge bonus.
I look forward to sharing anything I can.

Last edited:

Back