NEW: Weber Lumin Compact Electric Grills

Chris Allingham

Administrator
Staff member
Something new from Weber...saw it today on Mike Lang's AnotherPintPlease Instagram page, he shared a photo of the product box on a hardware store shelf somewhere in his area.

The Weber Lumin Compact Electric Grill, available in 180 sq in and 242 sq in cooking surfaces, 600*F cooking temps, with a variety of available accessories and in colors black, blue, ice blue, seafoam, and yellow.

Here's an early look at abt.com:

Untitled-1.jpg

I saw mention of this new grill on one of the Facebook groups I am in.

My first reactions:
  1. I don't think the electric Q sells all that well. Don't know how well it works. This grill seems to be working to overcome reservations about high enough heat. Maybe a 110 answer to the Pulse that seems more at home in Europe with their 220 or thereabouts electric service.
  2. Weber seems to be listening to us fans who have been asking for the return of COLOR! Love that "ice blue" (almost like Glen Blue) and the yellow option, but all of the colors are pretty cool. This will help make your electric grill still be a cool thing on the deck (or condo balcony where gas isn't allowed).
  3. We just have to accept that prices are rising and not expect pricing from the pre-COVID era. A little steep, but the above positives may help prospective buyers justify the outlay.

Last edited:
Interesting. I suspect the Q140/Q1400 will be discontinued. I don't know how this new grill will perform but it looks nice. However, I think part of the reason for going this direction is a cost cutting move. This grill is the little Stepbrother to the PULSE as it is basically the same cooking area of the Q140, where the Pulse is closer to the Q240.

I like the color choices but it looks to me to be closer to a Go-Anywhere style grill than anything else. But, the price really doesn't support that opinion.

Interesting. I suspect the Q140/Q1400 will be discontinued. I don't know how this new grill will perform but it looks nice. However, I think part of the reason for going this direction is a cost cutting move. This grill is the little Stepbrother to the PULSE as it is basically the same cooking area of the Q140, where the Pulse is closer to the Q240.

I like the color choices but it looks to me to be closer to a Go-Anywhere style grill than anything else. But, the price really doesn't support that opinion.
Bruce,

Look again and you will see they also have a larger model with 242 sq in cooking space. I think these take the place of the 140/1400 and 240/2400 electric Q grills. Over $500 though:cautious:. I would love to try one to see if it really can crank out enough heat. The low hood, as they state, makes it for grilling not for trying to be a mini low and slow bbq machine. I think that low hood helps get the temperature up, and I consider that OK for the purpose it was made for.

OK, I see that they also come in the larger size, more comparable to the Q2400. So, basically, they will likely be the successor to the Q140/Q240 line of electric grills. That further solidifies my thinking that it is a cost cutting move. Not only do they seem to be less sturdy than a Q version, but they are also higher priced. I did not see any interior photos of the grills so it will be interesting to see what they did as far as the grates go.

I wish that link showed them. It looks like they are claiming porcelain-coated cast iron.

As a porcelain (I hope) EDIT: IT IS coated steel exterior grill, it won't last nearly forever like an all-aluminum Q, but given that most probably will sit in a garage or other inside space when not being used, I think they could well be adequately built. I would never leave one outside on an ongoing basis. I do think these look more like a "Weber" than the Qs, if that means anything. And, as I said, I think the color options are a great idea and very cool choices at that.

A Q 2400 still listed on Weber's site has an asking price of $399. I wouldn't shell out that or the higher price for this Lumin, since an electric grill is not of that much interest to me. But, if I was stuck in a condo or other location where I could get by with an electric grill but not gas, I would be willing to pay the extra price for this new Lumin if it really can deliver 600 degrees. Another interesting thing is that the write-up mentions "smoke infusion" so I wonder if they have added a convenient way to burn wood chips or maybe pellets to up your cooking results. EDIT AGAIN, I GUESS THEY HAVE:

A profit builder, yes, but it is stainless, and I like the setup.

Last edited:
Yep, I used a Q140 for about a year with my camper and my parents had one due to the convenience that they offer. They cook fine and they get plenty hot, but it takes a long time to fully heat up.

I went back to an LP Q for camping for that reason. Just didn't want to wait so long for it to reach max temp. It does sound like Weber is trying to make these grills a bit more versatile though.

I don't see myself buying one of these, but it would be fun to play around with one.

I don't think people in million dollar condo's are gonna worry about the price the colors are an attraction and if you can't have a gas grill on the balcony which almost all would not allow you really don't have much of a choice. There are also areas around the country that have fire bans certain times of the year so this works for those people also.

Its not something I would want but I actually think they will do okay with it and its got some style.

If you take inflation as a reality, I guess I can tolerate this price. I don't have to worry about using electric over gas right now, but if I was in that situation, one of the larger ones - setup with the smoking accessories - would seem pretty nice. I would love that light blue color!

Not a lot of talk on here about them. They must not be available everywhere yet.

I saw one today at Target. The cute little box made it look like a natural fit for Target - you could fit it in your shopping cart easily. However, the price! It is one of the most expensive things in the store.

Yes, it is pricey. But everything is going in that direction. I am waiting for some real life reviews of these, but looking at the pictures and write-up I would say that at least this appears to be a quality entry by Weber and one loaded with Weber style. If I was stuck in a condo or some other place where electric was my only option, I would at least be happy to have a sharp looking, nice electric grill.😎

Yes, it is pricey. But everything is going in that direction. I am waiting for some real life reviews of these, but looking at the pictures and write-up I would say that at least this appears to be a quality entry by Weber and one loaded with Weber style. If I was stuck in a condo or some other place where electric was my only option, I would at least be happy to have a sharp looking, nice electric grill.😎
Agree 100, I would have loved one of these at my apartment when I was 21. No gas or charcoal allowed.

Controversial i know but the Lumin grills seem pricey and lack versatility on first look. Looking at alternatives this actually looks decent

I feel that one needs to be able to roast a whole chicken in a grill, or is it just me?? :cool:

That Ninja sure looks like it can cook well if the pictures are to be believed. I like the ability to use some pellets for flavor. It isn't clear to me whether the new Lumin will allow you to use the smoker accessory under the cast iron grates. Adding smoke to your grilling on an electric grill seems like a great way to elevate past the otherwise less appealing aspects of using electric vs. gas.

Back