New Toy

We gave our daughter an instant pot for Christmas. She's made a couple soups. She needs to see this thread and make that. Awesome

Tried a soup the other night (recipe below) It calls for sautéing the chicken and I think I over did it a bit the chicken was a little over cooked and tuff. It wasn't specific as to how long or how much to cook it I think I did between 3 & 4 minuets so I changed it to less than 2 minuets.
Other than that it was very good, noodles were cooked perfectly.

Instant Pot Chicken Noodle Soup

Ingredients
2 chicken breasts cubed,, bite size, boneless skinless
2 tbsp olive oil
1/4 tsp salt and pepper optional, more or less, to taste
2 carrots sliced thin
2 stalks celery sliced
1/4 onion diced
48 ounces no salt chicken broth
2 c egg noodles uncooked
1/2 tsp basil
1/2 tsp oregano
1 Tsp. garlic
1 Tbs. Italian seasoning

Instructions
Put Instant Pot on saute low and add olive oil, chicken cut into spoon sized chunks, celery, onions, and carrots.
Cook for no more than 2 minutes so chicken gets just a bit cooked on outside and veggies soften just slightly.
Turn IP off and add chicken broth, uncooked noodles, salt, pepper, and spices if desired.
Put lid on IP, close valve and set to manual, pressure, high for 3 minutes.
When it beeps move the pressure valve just slightly to release the pressure slowly. Once steam is released carefully lift lid and enjoy!

Tried a soup the other night (recipe below) It calls for sautéing the chicken and I think I over did it a bit the chicken was a little over cooked and tuff. It wasn't specific as to how long or how much to cook it I think I did between 3 & 4 minuets so I changed it to less than 2 minuets.
Other than that it was very good, noodles were cooked perfectly.

Instant Pot Chicken Noodle Soup

Ingredients
2 chicken breasts cubed,, bite size, boneless skinless
2 tbsp olive oil
1/4 tsp salt and pepper optional, more or less, to taste
2 carrots sliced thin
2 stalks celery sliced
1/4 onion diced
48 ounces no salt chicken broth
2 c egg noodles uncooked
1/2 tsp basil
1/2 tsp oregano
1 Tsp. garlic
1 Tbs. Italian seasoning

Instructions
Put Instant Pot on saute low and add olive oil, chicken cut into spoon sized chunks, celery, onions, and carrots.
Cook for no more than 2 minutes so chicken gets just a bit cooked on outside and veggies soften just slightly.
Turn IP off and add chicken broth, uncooked noodles, salt, pepper, and spices if desired.
Put lid on IP, close valve and set to manual, pressure, high for 3 minutes.
When it beeps move the pressure valve just slightly to release the pressure slowly. Once steam is released carefully lift lid and enjoy!

This is the recipe I used and it came out amazing and it's really easy. The chicken is cooked differently than the recipe you used and comes out fantastic. The day I decided to make it I got the groceries on the way home from work, fired up the IP and had this huge pot of awesome chicken noodle soup ready in about 30 minutes.

Ingredients

• 1 large onion diced
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 2 large chicken breasts boneless & skinless, about 8oz each
  • 1 cup carrots sliced
  • 1 cup celery sliced
  • 1 tablespoon parsley fresh
  • 1 bay leaf
  • 6 cups chicken broth or stock
  • 4 oz egg noodles approx. 2 1/2 cups dry
  • salt & pepper to taste

Instructions

• Turn the instant pot on to SAUTE. Cook onion in olive oil until softened.
  • Add remaining ingredients except noodles. Select SOUP (or MANUAL), HIGH PRESSURE and change the time to 10 minutes. The instant pot will take about 10 minutes to build pressure.
  • Quick release pressure. Once cooked, remove and discard bay leaf. Remove chicken breasts and shred with a fork.
  • Turn Instant Pot onto SAUTE. Once broth begins to boil, add egg noodles and allow to simmer 6-8 minutes or until tender.
  • Stir in chicken and season with salt and pepper to taste.

I actually doubled the recipe since I have the 8 quart IP and my wife and teenage son can eat this soup by the gallon. I originally made this because I was tired of constantly going to Panera and spending $5 or $6 for a tiny little bowl of chicken noodle soup that I knew only cost them about $0.50 to make. Ugh.

For the broth I used half chicken broth and half bone broth. It gave it a really nice hearty taste comparable to when my wife makes this the old fashioned way by boiling an entire chicken then hours later we have a pot of soup that we kill in about 8.5 minutes. With the double portion we had great low-calorie lunch leftovers for the whole week.

For the parsley I actually used this, easily found at my local Wal-Mart locations in the produce section next to the other pre-packaged fresh herbs:

Even though it's partially dried, it was perfect for the IP since the pressure fully re-hydrated it and the flavor bloomed very nicely. (I also use the cilantro version for my homemade salsa)

https://www.thekitchn.com/gourmet-garden-lightly-dried-herbs-product-review-218641

https%3A%2F%2Fstorage.googleapis.com%2Fgen-atmedia%2F3%2F2015%2F05%2Fc79a96852d6d3499cc232357154510751bb3e17f.jpeg

That looks awesome, Rich. I got an IP for Christmas and so far have only done Zuppa Toscana (link below). It came out really well. Admittedly, you certainly don't need an IP to make it, but it made quick work of cooking the potatoes through.

https://www.simplyhappyfoodie.com/instant-pot-zuppa-toscana-sausage-potato-soup/

I'll be getting rid of at least two "uni-taskers" as a result of the IP.

Jim, Pammi has one of the smaller IP and we love it!
Pammi has been making soup for me to take for lunch recently and that looks amazing!
I think I know what's for lunch next week!

With Barb working 8-12 hours a day and getting home at about 9 pm our cooking is down to leftovers from the freezer. Poor kid her fun little part time 16 -20 hours a week is now full time +. due to half of the cashiers off sick. I think this week she will put in about 45 hours and this Safeway is super busy.
Now that I have some freezer space I'll start making some casseroles and soups so she has something decent to take to work.
I'm hoping this won't last much longer, but Barbs a trooper and will go as long as she has to.

Don't shoot me, but I'm actually going to try pulled pork in the IP this afternoon.

Jim, got a recipe or just winging it ? I've got a frozen butt, no not mine. :p Was going to do it in the Camp Chef. I would be interested how the flavor would be without smoke.

Last edited:
That looks awesome, Rich. I got an IP for Christmas and so far have only done Zuppa Toscana (link below). It came out really well. Admittedly, you certainly don't need an IP to make it, but it made quick work of cooking the potatoes through.

https://www.simplyhappyfoodie.com/instant-pot-zuppa-toscana-sausage-potato-soup/

I'll be getting rid of at least two "uni-taskers" as a result of the IP.

Jim, Pammi made some of this today. Winner!
I'm taking some and a porchetta sandwich for lunch tomorrow.
Jus soup for the rest of the week!

Verdict: Came out OK. A little too much liquid, but that can be remedied. I didn't have any rub left, but a little rub added while shredding would help too. All in all, not bad to go from 7lb butt to eating in two hours though.

Looks like this has become the IP thread. :)
So far I've made chicken soup, good, thighs and potatoes, pretty good, and hard boiled eggs, very good and easy to peel.
Tomorrow it will be a pot roast, with a chuck roast, potatoes and carrots.
Still working on finding out how long to cook.

Tomorrow it will be a pot roast, with a chuck roast, potatoes and carrots. Still working on finding out how long to cook.

On one of my IP cook logs I wrote this: I did 2 chucks weighing 2.4 and 2.7 lbs, cut each in half and did a 4 minute saute per side, added 1.75c beef broth and did a manual high cook for 60 minutes. Then I did a quick release and added potatoes, carrots, and celery (without removing the chucks) and cooked 10 minutes on high with a 10 minute natural release then a quick release. But you're much more experienced than me :)

On one of my IP cook logs I wrote this: I did 2 chucks weighing 2.4 and 2.7 lbs, cut each in half and did a 4 minute saute per side, added 1.75c beef broth and did a manual high cook for 60 minutes. Then I did a quick release and added potatoes, carrots, and celery (without removing the chucks) and cooked 10 minutes on high with a 10 minute natural release then a quick release. But you're much more experienced than me :)
No way am I more experienced than you, I'm a newbie using the IP.
How were the results?

Finally got around to making this simple Mexican Tortilla Soup came out really well. Nice flavor and super simple to make.

Instant Pot Mexican Tortilla Soup

Ingredients
1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts (uncooked/raw)
1 can (15 ounces) whole peeled tomatoes, undrained OR 1 can fire-roasted diced tomatoes
1 can (10 ounces) red enchilada sauce
1 and 1/2 teaspoons minced garlic
1 yellow onion, diced
1 can (4 ounces) fire-roasted diced green chiles
1 can (15 ounces) black beans, drained and rinsed
1 can (15 ounces) fire-roasted corn, undrained
1 container (32 ounces) chicken stock or broth (stock has more flavor)
1 teaspoon ground cumin
2 teaspoons chili powder (I used 1 Tsp. McCormick’s and 1 Tsp. California Chile)
3/4 teaspoon paprika
1 bay leaf
Seasoned salt and freshly cracked pepper, to taste
1 tablespoon chopped cilantro
Tortilla strips, freshly squeezed lime juice, freshly grated sharp cheddar cheese, ripe avocados, fresh cilantro.

INSTANT POT
Using the saute function, add 1 tablespoon olive oil and saute the minced garlic and diced onion for 3-4 minutes until the onion starts to soften.
Remove the fat from the chicken breasts and add to the instant pot along with all of the other ingredients. Give everything a good stir.
Secure the lid and cook on high pressure (manually select) for 7 minutes. Let the pressure naturally release for 10-15 minutes before using quick release for the remaining pressure. Remove the chicken and shred and then return to the pot. Taste and adjust any seasonings (salt + pepper) and add fresh lime right here if desired. Remove the bay leaf.
Serve bowls of soup with your favorite toppings: freshly grated cheese, a large spoonful of sour cream, additional cilantro, fresh lime, and lots of tortilla strips!

Finally got around to making this simple Mexican Tortilla Soup came out really well. Nice flavor and super simple to make.

Instant Pot Mexican Tortilla Soup

Ingredients
1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts (uncooked/raw)
1 can (15 ounces) whole peeled tomatoes, undrained OR 1 can fire-roasted diced tomatoes
1 can (10 ounces) red enchilada sauce
1 and 1/2 teaspoons minced garlic
1 yellow onion, diced
1 can (4 ounces) fire-roasted diced green chiles
1 can (15 ounces) black beans, drained and rinsed
1 can (15 ounces) fire-roasted corn, undrained
1 container (32 ounces) chicken stock or broth (stock has more flavor)
1 teaspoon ground cumin
2 teaspoons chili powder (I used 1 Tsp. McCormick’s and 1 Tsp. California Chile)
3/4 teaspoon paprika
1 bay leaf
Seasoned salt and freshly cracked pepper, to taste
1 tablespoon chopped cilantro
Tortilla strips, freshly squeezed lime juice, freshly grated sharp cheddar cheese, ripe avocados, fresh cilantro.

INSTANT POT
Using the saute function, add 1 tablespoon olive oil and saute the minced garlic and diced onion for 3-4 minutes until the onion starts to soften.
Remove the fat from the chicken breasts and add to the instant pot along with all of the other ingredients. Give everything a good stir.
Secure the lid and cook on high pressure (manually select) for 7 minutes. Let the pressure naturally release for 10-15 minutes before using quick release for the remaining pressure. Remove the chicken and shred and then return to the pot. Taste and adjust any seasonings (salt + pepper) and add fresh lime right here if desired. Remove the bay leaf.
Serve bowls of soup with your favorite toppings: freshly grated cheese, a large spoonful of sour cream, additional cilantro, fresh lime, and lots of tortilla strips!

Gonna try this one really soon. Thanks Rich!

Back