New Toy

Finally got around to making this simple Mexican Tortilla Soup came out really well. Nice flavor and super simple to make.

Instant Pot Mexican Tortilla Soup

Ingredients
1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts (uncooked/raw)
1 can (15 ounces) whole peeled tomatoes, undrained OR 1 can fire-roasted diced tomatoes
1 can (10 ounces) red enchilada sauce
1 and 1/2 teaspoons minced garlic
1 yellow onion, diced
1 can (4 ounces) fire-roasted diced green chiles
1 can (15 ounces) black beans, drained and rinsed
1 can (15 ounces) fire-roasted corn, undrained
1 container (32 ounces) chicken stock or broth (stock has more flavor)
1 teaspoon ground cumin
2 teaspoons chili powder (I used 1 Tsp. McCormick’s and 1 Tsp. California Chile)
3/4 teaspoon paprika
1 bay leaf
Seasoned salt and freshly cracked pepper, to taste
1 tablespoon chopped cilantro
Tortilla strips, freshly squeezed lime juice, freshly grated sharp cheddar cheese, ripe avocados, fresh cilantro.

INSTANT POT
Using the saute function, add 1 tablespoon olive oil and saute the minced garlic and diced onion for 3-4 minutes until the onion starts to soften.
Remove the fat from the chicken breasts and add to the instant pot along with all of the other ingredients. Give everything a good stir.
Secure the lid and cook on high pressure (manually select) for 7 minutes. Let the pressure naturally release for 10-15 minutes before using quick release for the remaining pressure. Remove the chicken and shred and then return to the pot. Taste and adjust any seasonings (salt + pepper) and add fresh lime right here if desired. Remove the bay leaf.
Serve bowls of soup with your favorite toppings: freshly grated cheese, a large spoonful of sour cream, additional cilantro, fresh lime, and lots of tortilla strips!

So, I wasn't lying.... I made this recipe 2 weeks ago and it was fantastic. Kids and wife even ate the leftovers and we ate every bite of a double recipe.

Today I made it again except that I had a bunch of leftover pulled pork and replaced the chicken with pulled pork. Came out awesome.

IMG_20200417_201007561.jpg

So, I wasn't lying.... I made this recipe 2 weeks ago and it was fantastic. Kids and wife even ate the leftovers and we ate every bite of a double recipe.

Today I made it again except that I had a bunch of leftover pulled pork and replaced the chicken with pulled pork. Came out awesome.

View attachment 3117
I've got a bunch of leftover pulled pork made a note on the recipe to try that next time I make it.

Back