New technique for my Chile Colorado

Rich G

TVWBB Honor Circle
I've made and posted Chile Colorado several times, and it's still one of my family's favorites. This weekend, I took the smoke-then-braise technique from my (and Michael's) carnitas cooks to up the CC game a bit.

So, yesterday, I made the SAUCE in the Instant Pot (didn't have time to tend the grill, a la Cliff):

1626666206028.jpeg

I also made another batch of flour tortillas (some got used for fish tacos last night):

1626666233367.jpeg

Today, I took four pounds of pork butt, and cut it up into large chunks. These went on my pellet grill at 225 for about four hours:

1626666276234.jpeg

Four hours later......:

1626666290466.jpeg

While I brought the grill up to 350, I cut the pork into smaller, bite-sized chunks, and got them into my large cast iron DO:

1626666331817.jpeg

I added the sauce I made yesterday, and half a box (16 oz?) of chicken stock, then onto the grill uncovered for about 90 minutes:

1626666364096.jpeg

The rest of the time, the pork cooked covered (for a total of four hours.) I made a pot of rice (flavored with tomato bouillon), and then made myself a "taco bowl":

1626666422928.jpeg

The smoke before braise added a great, but subtle, smoky flavor to this dish, and I think this will be my go-to preparation method (until I come up with a new one.) My nephew proclaimed this the ".....best pork I've ever had! Especially the fatty bits!" (smart kid!)

***FWIW, I know that Chile Colorado is traditionally made with beef. I just happen to like it better with pork, so that's what I make. If you wanted to make this with beef, you could sub chuck roast for the pork, and pretty much everything else would be the same.

Thanks for lookin'!

Rich

Last edited:
Rich, that is just next level my friend! Man does that looks so good. I have not make Colorado sauce since early in my smoking/grilling journey when I followed your guild to make smoked chicken enchiladas. I have added this to the short list. After I get my Al Pastor cook completed this will be next. What did you think of smoking the pork in chunks verse whole?

ATK has a similar chili recipe using pork butt they call "Ranch Chili". It's one of my favorites, not the least because I've adapted it to the Instant Pot.

A couple years ago I asked for a cast iron Dutch oven to use on the smoker for just this kind of dish. It's still in the box. I may have to break it out and give this approach a try.

Rich - This looks amazing. What all is in the sauce bowl in picture 1?
Teddy, that was just the peppers in the instant pot bowl. The full recipe is linked in my first post, but there's also onion, garlic, cumin, oregano, and water that goes in the pot before it get's pressure cooked. I have also taken to adding some chili powder, too for a little more depth.

R

I've made and posted Chile Colorado several times, and it's still one of my family's favorites. This weekend, I took the smoke-then-braise technique from my (and Michael's) carnitas cooks to up the CC game a bit.

So, yesterday, I made the SAUCE in the Instant Pot (didn't have time to tend the grill, a la Cliff):

View attachment 33144

I also made another batch of flour tortillas (some got used for fish tacos last night):

View attachment 33145

Today, I took four pounds of pork butt, and cut it up into large chunks. These went on my pellet grill at 225 for about four hours:

View attachment 33146

Four hours later......:

View attachment 33147

While I brought the grill up to 350, I cut the pork into smaller, bite-sized chunks, and got them into my large cast iron DO:

View attachment 33148

I added the sauce I made yesterday, and half a box (16 oz?) of chicken stock, then onto the grill uncovered for about 90 minutes:

View attachment 33149

The rest of the time, the pork cooked covered (for a total of four hours.) I made a pot of rice (flavored with tomato bouillon), and then made myself a "taco bowl":

View attachment 33150

The smoke before braise added a great, but subtle, smoky flavor to this dish, and I think this will be my go-to preparation method (until I come up with a new one.) My nephew proclaimed this the ".....best pork I've ever had! Especially the fatty bits!" (smart kid!)

***FWIW, I know that Chile Colorado is traditionally made with beef. I just happen to like it better with pork, so that's what I make. If you wanted to make this with beef, you could sub chuck roast for the pork, and pretty much everything else would be the same.

Thanks for lookin'!

Rich
Looks and sounds great Rich!

Back