New Snowblower

I'm on my second Frigidaire dishwasher. The first one worked great for the five years or so I had it. I bought another one almost identical to it. Unless I use rinse aid it doesn't dry half as well as it's predecessor.

My Frigidaire is five years old and it started leaking around the rubber seal on the bottom of the door. You have to buy the whole door at $345 Cdn. The service guy said all the older models you could change the seal but that changed with this model. 🤬

@LMichaels, we bought a Bosch 3 drawer dishwasher several years ago (500 series?) Yes, like anything else these days, it really doesn't dry well, IMO, and that's all apparently due to energy standards. It really does clean well, we use the [recommended] Finish tablets and keep it filled with a rinse aid. <knocks wood> I hope the Bosch refrigerator we bought a year & a half ago holds up as well.

I have a 9 year old HD Ariens special. 21” width. A year after I got it, I had to have the pull cord replaced. The following year it was back firing as oil was leaking into the gas line. Last year I only had to use it once. Seems like every year it‘s something between this Snow Blower, and it’s matching lawn mower brother.

I’m getting to the point where if I have to have another carb soaked, rebuilt, or coil replaced… I’m going to sell these off and move onto something else. My local shop used to sell Ariens as their main models, and have sinice switched to Toro, stating that Ariens is no longer being sold in Canada (other than their lower end models for the big box stores.) Not sure if that’s 100% accurate, but that’s what I‘ve been advised of.

Yeah, I got the new choke cable installed in the old Honda. Like most Honda small engines, it fired right up on a couple pulls as well even after sitting all year. Kinda wish I could have the Honda motor on the Toro blower LOL. Though the new Toro engine looks suspiciously like a Honda engine. But, than so do the engines at Hazard Fraught. (the Predator engines). Even the displacement is suspiciously alike (221CC on the Predator and 212CC on the Toro) Hmmmmm

Here in Utah, we don't get NEARLY the same kind of snow you folks up North get, and what we do get is usually pretty dry (powder) or similar. I gave up my 2-stroke blower a few years ago for a battery powered blower, and couldn't be happier. I don't think the battery powered blower would stand a chance up North though.

My pressure washer has one of the Honda clone motors on it. It fires right up every year, no complaints.

At the risk of further diverging from the original topic, the Technology Connections channel on YouTube has a couple videos about dishwashers, specifically the use of those detergent packets that are so popular these days. The first one is here. His basic premise is the dishwashers are designed to have a small amount of detergent in the initial pre-wash cycle, something you don't have if you use the packets. He goes on to prove his point. He revisits the topic later in a subsequent video. Spoiler alert: his conclusion is pretty much unchanged. IIRC he does also recommend using a rinse agent.

We get snow a few times in the winter but there is a saying up here "What do you do the day after it snows"......... You watch it melt.

The picture below is a typical snow fall up here and within 48 hours it's all gone. So no snow blower for me, heck I don't even have a snow shovel.
100_4441.JPG

We get snow a few times in the winter but there is a saying up here "What do you do the day after it snows"......... You watch it melt.

The picture below is a typical snow fall up here and within 48 hours it's all gone. So no snow blower for me, heck I don't even have a snow shovel.
View attachment 39976
I envy that. My true wish is I never have to even start it :D

I envy that. My true wish is I never have to even start it :D
I hope you don't have to start it also Larry. I'm no stranger to snow I spent many hours shoveling snow in Franklin Park to earn Christmas money as a kid and young teenager. Hated it but made good money doing it.

The thing that constantly amazes me is the number of people that live in places which HISTORICALLY have harsh winters and do precious little to either prepare for or (maybe more importantly) move to more “temperate” environs and do nothing but twist and shout about how hard it is to live there(here). Deal with it!
I enjoy having the constant game of seasonal chess which requires cleaning gutters, clearing snow, suffering sunburn and, LOVING the Great Lakes!
I’m happy to deal with some of the “off time” to have the good ones! I have grandchildren close by and I wouldn’t trade that for never needing to deal with Michigan winters to my dying day. I‘ve said it before, I’m a lucky Grandpa!
I must admit, I have installed leaf filter gutter guards which has eliminated one seasonal miseries.

Last edited:
Man, I would have killed for one of those as a teenager in Maine in the late 70's!
I still made good money doing it the old fashioned way! Usually $50-60 for 3 driveways, after I got done helping dad do ours!

The thing that constantly amazes me is the number of people that live in places which HISTORICALLY have harsh winters and do precious little to either prepare for or (maybe more importantly) move to more “temperate” environs and do nothing but twist and shout about how hard it is to live there(here). Deal with it!
I enjoy having the constant game of seasonal chess which requires cleaning gutters, clearing snow, suffering sunburn and, LOVING the Great Lakes!
I’m happy to deal with some of the “off time” to have the good ones! I have grandchildren close by and I wouldn’t trade that for never needing to deal with Michigan winters to my dying day. I‘ve said it before, I’m a lucky Grandpa!
I must admit, I have installed leaf filter gutter guards which has eliminated one seasonal miseries.
I wish I still had a leaf problem. A few years ago all the fully grown ash trees in my neighborhood got wiped out by the ash borer insects. It really transformed the neighborhood, and not for the better.

I would have to imagine as the packet melts it releases the detergent and such in stages
The dishwasher typically does an initial pre-wash of the dishes that only lasts a few minutes. It's meant to get rid of the heavy stuff. It helps a lot to have soap in this cycle, but if you use only the packets you either have to use two or not have soap in the pre-wash. According to the videos (he has a follow-up to the one I linked above) you'll get superior results and save a lot of money using the cheapest powder dishwasher detergent at the store and simply filling both soap dispensers.

I haven't had a dishwasher in years... Or, more accurately, I've been the dishwasher for years, so I can't really speak to how modern dishwashers perform with the high tech packets. The last time I had one that worked I got mostly decent results using a tablet, but then I'd usually pre-wash the dishes myself before sticking them in the dishwasher.

Back