New old stock Summit Charcoal

Tom Reed

TVWBB Member
Was lucky to come into a new-in-box Summit Charcoal at an unbelievable price. Just assembled and very pleased with the quality of the grill and excited to get to cooking on it. I had a couple questions for members who have either this or a Kamado.

1.) How much charcoal should I expect to need for a normal cook? I have a performer and WSM 18, but I have read the Summit is much more efficient with fuel. I know I can shut the vents and save coals for next time but I generally like to avoid lighting more than I need.

2.) The literature mentioned a free cookbook with registering, is Weber still offering that?

3.) If you have them, how often do you find yourself using your performer or WSM now that you have the Summit? My wife has started to notice the accumulation of grills and I'd like to thin out what I can. I like the performer for the prep table and familiarity of the kettle, but I'm less attached to the WSM. I also have a pair of Genesis 1000s and a Genesis II for gas grilling.

Welcome to the WSK club.

Fuel depends on what you are cooking. The grill is very versatile.

I would register the grill with Weber and then submit for the cookbook. They were out of stock for the one listed but sent me a nice substitute.

I sold a WSM and a Pellet before getting the WSK, but still have a performer. I've cooked on the performer once in the last 14 months, but it makes a good prep table.

I’ve had my Kamado for 1 1/2 years. Best charcoal grill I’ve ever used. It is very efficient. I have gotten 27 hours out of a full load of Kpro. I recently did short ribs. Ran it at 260 for 6ish hours and had 1/2 of the chimney of charcoal still in burned. I like that wind hardly bothers it at all.
I sold my WSM 14 and the WSM 22 sits in the garage. Have not used either since I got the Kamado.
Oh, gave my performer to my daughter.
I only have the Kamado and the Genesis in the back yard. Everything else is gone.

Welcome to the WSK club.

Fuel depends on what you are cooking. The grill is very versatile.

I would register the grill with Weber and then submit for the cookbook. They were out of stock for the one listed but sent me a nice substitute.

I sold a WSM and a Pellet before getting the WSK, but still have a performer. I've cooked on the performer once in the last 14 months, but it makes a good prep table.
Thanks Dan! I registered with Weber right away. I guess I'll give them a call about the cookbook tomorrow!

I’ve had my Kamado for 1 1/2 years. Best charcoal grill I’ve ever used. It is very efficient. I have gotten 27 hours out of a full load of Kpro. I recently did short ribs. Ran it at 260 for 6ish hours and had 1/2 of the chimney of charcoal still in burned. I like that wind hardly bothers it at all.
I sold my WSM 14 and the WSM 22 sits in the garage. Have not used either since I got the Kamado.
Oh, gave my performer to my daughter.
I only have the Kamado and the Genesis in the back yard. Everything else is gone.
Wow! That's an impressive burn time Mark!

I was thinking I'm unlikely to use the WSM but I think I'll hold onto the performer because I have a few accessories for it (slow n sear, drip and griddle pans) that my wife got me and I'd hate to get rid of. Maybe take it to my folks cabin where it would get more use if it turns out I never touch it at home.

There isn’t a lot of extras for the E6 but haven’t really needed any.
couple of things to note:
You can LAS with either lump or charcoal. I grill with Jealous Devil lump and smoke with Kpro.
‘The distance between the coal grate and the cooking grate is smaller on the E6. I like it better.

I recommend you start cooking by lighting one chimney around 75% full if you’re using briqs.

That’s enough to fill two charcoal baskets.

Place the baskets in a circle under the center grate.

Learn to cook direct and indirect using this method for burgers, chicken, steaks, dogs, pork chunks or steaks and seafood.

The only time I load my WSK is on a LAS (low and slow) for briskets or butts. I invert the charcoal baskets and place them so a V forms and then I fill the V with charcoal.

This LAS method and load can do a 13# brisket in 8-8.5 hours from start to 205°.

I recommend you place heavy duty foil under your grate on the charcoal grate (when the grate is in the upper position). This way you’ll keep the gunk out of your grill and you can toss the used foil every 3-4 cooks.

I’ve posted over 100 pics in the Photo Galley of my cooks going back two years now.

The WSK is NOT a regular kettle. It’s much more fuel efficient and responds to temperature adjustments quickly.

Less is more with the WSK.

Welcome to the team and ask away. You’re going to get rid of your other grills in short time. I have only the WSK now and it’s perfect. Purely perfect.

I’m still fairly new to the Summit Charcoal/WSK family, so I don’t have a great answer for how much charcoal you should expect to need. I know the WSK is really not a ceramic kamado, but I typically pack a full load of lump as one would for a ceramic kamado, and shut down when I’m done cooking, and reuse the lump.

2.) The literature mentioned a free cookbook with registering, is Weber still offering that?

I did not receive a cookbook after registering.

3.) If you have them, how often do you find yourself using your performer or WSM now that you have the Summit? My wife has started to notice the accumulation of grills and I'd like to thin out what I can. I like the performer for the prep table and familiarity of the kettle, but I'm less attached to the WSM. I also have a pair of Genesis 1000s and a Genesis II for gas grilling.

I still use all of our cookers, but we’re also a family of hoarders 😂

We have two 14“ WSMs which I still use and tinker with, along with the old 18” kettle that started it all. Often I want to cook with different methods alongside the WSK, so I’ll be running several different cookers at once.

I recommend you start cooking by lighting one chimney around 75% full if you’re using briqs.

That’s enough to fill two charcoal baskets.

Place the baskets in a circle under the center grate.

Learn to cook direct and indirect using this method for burgers, chicken, steaks, dogs, pork chunks or steaks and seafood.

The only time I load my WSK is on a LAS (low and slow) for briskets or butts. I invert the charcoal baskets and place them so a V forms and then I fill the V with charcoal.

This LAS method and load can do a 13# brisket in 8-8.5 hours from start to 205°.

I recommend you place heavy duty foil under your grate on the charcoal grate (when the grate is in the upper position). This way you’ll keep the gunk out of your grill and you can toss the used foil every 3-4 cooks.

I’ve posted over 100 pics in the Photo Galley of my cooks going back two years now.

The WSK is NOT a regular kettle. It’s much more fuel efficient and responds to temperature adjustments quickly.

Less is more with the WSK.

Welcome to the team and ask away. You’re going to get rid of your other grills in short time. I have only the WSK now and it’s perfect. Purely perfect.
Thanks for all the detail! My summit has the igniter box like I had in my performer, but I typically use a chimney anyways. Good tip on the foil.

Attachments

• IMG_4920.jpeg
    IMG_4920.jpeg
    214.6 KB · Views: 26
  • 70978496117__E980151E-D595-45B9-927C-35B0FD6BFFF5.jpeg
    70978496117__E980151E-D595-45B9-927C-35B0FD6BFFF5.jpeg
    165.5 KB · Views: 26
Thanks for all the detail! My summit has the igniter box like I had in my performer, but I typically use a chimney anyways. Good tip on the foil.
I have the S6 for a year now. And the E6 prior to that. I’ve never used the gas assist. It’s just easier for me to use the chimney and a paper towel with some refrigerated lard in it. Perfect fire every time. Literally 10 minutes in the chimney and 10 minutes in the CBs to heat the grates.

I have the S6 for a year now. And the E6 prior to that. I’ve never used the gas assist. It’s just easier for me to use the chimney and a paper towel with some refrigerated lard in it. Perfect fire every time. Literally 10 minutes in the chimney and 10 minutes in the CBs to heat the grates.
Could do the same with out the paper towel by just putting the chimney over the flame of the gas assist. Takes no time at all using that method either and is really easy.

Could do the same with out the paper towel by just putting the chimney over the flame of the gas assist. Takes no time at all using that method either and is really easy.
Good point. I don’t use the GA because I have two charcoal grates and that would require me removing the cooking grate in full and the upper charcoal grate.

I am lazy. To an efficient point.

I just pop out the center cooking grate, load 4-5 new larger JD chunks, then pout over the CBs with the used coals.

Then I place the fat loaded paper towels (2 usually) in a CB, light them with a small torch, and then place the chimney atop that CB, gently balanced, and go 10 minutes.

After the 10 minutes, I pour over the lit coals, replace the center grate and get the S6 with its lid closed.

Ten minutes later it’s show time. Literally 20 minutes every time to do a direct heat seated cook.

I love this grill. It’s so easy to use and the output and food it delivers is excellent.

Here’s a cute video why I’d never buy a pooper: Wait for it.

Back