New member, new Kettle owner

LeoP.

TVWBB Member
Hello folks new member in Pensacola, FL here. Just bought my first Weber Kettle after much research and thinking I have decided it was the best fit for my needs. It was a close race between a 22in Kettle Original and the Arkansas Portable Kitchen. The Weber having better support and a array of accessories on par with the Big Green Egg it won out. I un-boxed my new Kettle last night and did a good burn in with Royal Oak then for the first cook honors I bought a couple USDA Prime steaks at our local grocery store and seared away. What a beautiful improvement over my old grill! Tonight I am doing chicken and asparagus with a new charcoal to see how the Kettle will do chicken.:blackkettle:

Last edited:
Hey Leo... how the heck are ya?
Welcome to the forum!

Enjoy your Dinner tonight, I know you'll ♥ it!

Welcome Leo, hurry up and get the photo figured out we want yo see this new kettle, preferably in action :)

My old grill/smoker, it smokes great but sucks for grilling:

The Weber coming home:

First chimney of Royal Oak:

USDA Prime Ribeye and Strip cooking I lightly dusted the steaks in Weber Steak 'N Chop seasoning and I squeezed a fresh whole lemon on each steak. Cooked medium rare:

Tonight's chicken, Cajun style marinaded:

Tonight's charcoal, very ashey but a good low burn I think it will be better suited for smoking:

Last edited:
My old grill/smoker, it smokes great but sucks for grilling {snip} First chimney of Royal Oak {snip} Tonight's charcoal, very ashey but a good low burn I think it will be better suited for smoking
Wow, your old grill/smoker has logged some miles, looks like many a meal was lovingly made on it

The Royal Oak Lump was made for kettles (imho) you can spend more (Stubbs) but for lump, Royal Oak is pretty dang good

You got some great cooks in on already with your new kettle, just a heads up: You can get a heavy duty steel grate at Home Depot or Lowes, $35USD give or take. However, in June. Craycort will have a 10% off sale on their CI grate and at Thanksgiving, a 25% off. If you like your kettle now, you'll love it with the CI grates (although the heavy duty steel is good too)

http://www.cast-iron-grate.com/

Welcome to the boards, Leo - always happy to see a fellow Floridian, you came to the right place for any grilling/smoking topics, hope you have many excellent cooks to show in the future

Welcome, Your going to love it! Now do yourself a favor and start saving for a WSM! After about 3-4 visits to this site. You will be infected with the "bug"

Wow, your old grill/smoker has logged some miles, looks like many a meal was lovingly made on it

The Royal Oak Lump was made for kettles (imho) you can spend more (Stubbs) but for lump, Royal Oak is pretty dang good

You got some great cooks in on already with your new kettle, just a heads up: You can get a heavy duty steel grate at Home Depot or Lowes, $35USD give or take. However, in June. Craycort will have a 10% off sale on their CI grate and at Thanksgiving, a 25% off. If you like your kettle now, you'll love it with the CI grates (although the heavy duty steel is good too)

http://www.cast-iron-grate.com/

Thanks for the suggestion but I am enjoying not cooking on a cast iron grate like my old grill had. I really like the way the stock grate cooks, nothing sticks to it!!!

My old grill/smoker has done literally hundreds of pounds of ribs and chicken at our dealership for many hungry customers and employees. It does an excellent job of controlling heat for smoking but can't get hot enough to grill like I want.

Last edited:

Back