*NEW* Maverick ET-732

Originally posted by Tony C.:
i'm in for one for christmas. i wonder if this model has 2 probes?

Their website makes reference to "both" probe wires being resistant to temp up to 716 degrees and with the dual display i'd say its a safe bet that it has two probes, even though the pit probe isn't shown in the picture.

Originally posted by ACrocker:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tony C.:
i'm in for one for christmas. i wonder if this model has 2 probes?

Their website makes reference to "both" probe wires being resistant to temp up to 716 degrees and with the dual display i'd say its a safe bet that it has two probes, even though the pit probe isn't shown in the picture. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sorry I am just now seeing this. Yes, 2 probes. One pit and one food.

Originally posted by Justin W:
... I bet the neighbors all think we are nuts.
icon_smile.gif

No, they KNOW it for a fact!
But hey, it's a fun kind of "nuts".
Welcome to the asylum...

Thanks for the report, guys.

Now, I've gotta' get me one for Christmas! (Merry Christmas to me....-humming-....)

Does anyone have the new one yet? If so, how does it work? How would you rate it compared to the old model? - thanks, G

gonna take some influencing before i buy another maverick. my et-73 has been less then impressive. mainly the wireless function has never worked...not even 15 feet away.

Originally posted by drew c:
gonna take some influencing before i buy another maverick. my et-73 has been less then impressive. mainly the wireless function has never worked...not even 15 feet away.

Mine was the same exact way. I am telling you this new model is a night and day difference. I can go anywhere in my house and it works great. Plus it beeps if it loses signal which has only happened when I walked down the street. I use it almost daily now while my ET-73 sits in the drawer. The new model has MUCH better range.

I have a question for anyone that has the new model already. All of my gripes seem to be answered except one. My stock smoker probe seems to wander off temp by a good 50-75 F high while in use. But if I do a calibration check it always checks out. My best guess is it gets condensation in it from the water pan. So, the question is: do the new probes look any different from the OG probes? Bad data is worse than no data at all.

For those who had the Et-73 and complain that the remote function would not work, 1) Did you try it with fresh batteries -- I've seen several reports of this problem that were resolved when new, fresh batteries were put in. 2) Did you return it for replacement under warranty? If not, it seems the problem is yours.

On the battery questions, these companies include batteries because they're needed for a complete product. But they buy the cheapest available batteries in very large volumes. There is no telling how old the batteries may be nor whether they were really any good to start. Before complaining about any product, always use batteries that are KNOWN to be good.

Rich

Man am I torn. I'm in the camp of less is more and don't really use my ET-73 any more. I just use my lid thermometer and my thermapen when the meat gets close.

But I'm also a gadget person and this looks cool and much better than the ET-73 and just cause I don't need to know the temp every minute of the cook, it wouldn't hurt to have a little insurance on an overnight.

Originally posted by RichPB (richlife):
For those who had the Et-73 and complain that the remote function would not work, 1) Did you try it with fresh batteries -- I've seen several reports of this problem that were resolved when new, fresh batteries were put in. 2) Did you return it for replacement under warranty? If not, it seems the problem is yours.

On the battery questions, these companies include batteries because they're needed for a complete product. But they buy the cheapest available batteries in very large volumes. There is no telling how old the batteries may be nor whether they were really any good to start. Before complaining about any product, always use batteries that are KNOWN to be good.

Rich

I did a smoke this past weekend and my ET-73 failed only a few hours into it. It was replaced last year by Maverick. The batteries were brand new on this smoke.

Needless to say, I am very frustrated and hesitant to buy the new one.

I ordered a 732 today. I hope I do not have issues with this one like I have had with the past 2 73's. I am about ready to get a Guru anyway...

I ordered my maverick ET-732 today as well! I had really debated on wether or not ot get one, but after being reminded of the wireless monitoring advantage, I could talk myself out of it no longer! I hope to have it by the weekend.

Great discussion on the ET-732. I'm looking to buy one but can't tell if there is an off switch for the alarm. I have an older Maverick model that will not turn off - so I'm looking to upgrade.

Does anyone know if you can monitor temps but keep the alarm feature off?

Thanks,
Marc
Velvet Smoke BBQ

Thanks Tim, appreciate the help. Amid all the YouTube videos and postings no one from Maverick state this and it's on the big downsides of prior models.

Happy smoking,
Marc

Velvet Smoke BBQ
Columbus, OH

The user manual is not real verbose.
icon_smile.gif

I like the fact you can set a low BBQ temp but the alarm will not sound until the temp goes above the low alarm and then alarm on the way back down.

I was setting high alarm at 400 to keep it from going off.

I didn't see a way to turn off all the beeping when you are pressing the buttons. Might be nice for my bedmate when I'm fiddling with the thing at 2am.

Tim can you elaborate on how to silence the thing completely?

Back