*NEW* Maverick ET-732

My ET-73 batteries last at least a year. I tend to agree, probably a mis-print on the 10 hr battery life. But, it is worth investigating.

Originally posted by David Verba:
My question is, I know you guys have far more experience/expertise with BBQ, what do you use the dual probes for? All this temp measuring, what am I missing?
I use my remote for, well, remote casual monitoring so I don't have to keep going outside. The games are on, friends/family are over, checking TVWBB, ... ya know ... the important stuff.
icon_wink.gif

If it's a single butt/brisket, one probe's for the meat, the other for the smoker. For multi-butt/brisket, both are for meat.

I know when I first started bbq I was crazy about temps of meat, constantly monitoring the temps of meat. However, as I've gotten better/more familiar with BBQing different meats I can know pretty well ballpark when temperatures are close and then use my thermapen. Use a cork with a hole drilled in one of the top vents and I put a single probe to monitor my wsm temp.

My question is, I know you guys have far more experience/expertise with BBQ, what do you use the dual probes for? All this temp measuring, what am I missing?

My use is to measure not only the meat but also the temp in the smoker at meat level. Also, to check on two pieces being smoked whether on the same grate or both. Call it paranoia
icon_biggrin.gif
Rich

So what's the point of the hi/lo alarms? You may not be 'looking' but it still has to be running. Wink

no alarm = peaceful sleep
icon_biggrin.gif

I purchased the mav because I wanted an alarm when competing. Generally, we only cook our pork overnight, and it would be great if the whole team could get some sleep while one thing cooks. I was kind of annoyed when I got the unit and saw that the highest setting for the low alarm was like 195*. If my wsm hits 195* then we are already sunk, an alarm isn't going to help at that point.

Its nice to have the unit working in the tent. If I wake up early and see its running fine, I can roll over for a few more z's.

the low temp alarm goes higher than 195. you just have to set the high temp first. you can't set the low temp higher than the high temp and i believe the high temp default is 195.

Thanks, Tony. I had seen this (what I considered ridiculous) limitation elsewhere and that's one reason I haven't already bought an ET-73. Good to know that it's a "user error". But now I'm waiting for the ET-732 anyway. Rich

I know when I first started bbq I was crazy about temps of meat, constantly monitoring the temps of meat. However, as I've gotten better/more familiar with BBQing different meats I can know pretty well ballpark when temperatures are close and then use my thermapen. Use a cork with a hole drilled in one of the top vents and I put a single probe to monitor my wsm temp.

For me the convenience of remote monitoring is why I have them (I have the one for the rotisserie as well). I DON'T use them all the time. But when one is doing long cooks and wants to get other things done or cooking in the kitchen, etc it's handy to have the remote in your pocket that gives you an alarm if things act up.

Running an errand? Set the remote on the counter and ask your better half to call you if she hears any beeps, easy for her to check cook temp and meet temps for you if you aren't around.

I often do mixed cooks for group dinners, etc. On occasion that means running the WSM, Performer with the rotie and full use of both ovens and cooks top in the indoor kitchen. Remotes help with that as well as the BBG Guru.

Simple cooks, I'm just using the basics (touch, time, visual, vent therm, thermapen, etc)

I'll be a monkey's uncle!!! I just tried my hi/lo alarm and got the low over 195. I can't believe I hadn't figure that out. Thanks Tony!

Hehe...user error... That's me.

The ET-732s won't be in the country until mid December according to Maverick. Most of the times I have ordered stock from them their estimates are overly optimistic. Hopefully not this time because if they are, people that want these for Christmas will be disappointed.

Originally posted by Chris Bjork:
where did you purchase from?

5-0 bbq. I was drinking one night and bought and paid for it. Kinda forgot about it until the email came last night. Now I am excited. I just hope it has better range than my ET-73. I can't go farther then about 20 feet and it loses signal.

http://shop.5-0bbq.com/

I got mine on Monday. Works great. I've gotten a chance to use it twice and I love it. My only complaint is the controls are not at all intuitive but after two cooks, I've got it down. The temperature read out is consistently 3 degrees below my guru, but that's not a big deal. At least it's consistent.

Other than that, it's great. No connection issues anywhere in the house even with 3 walls between me and the cooker.

Originally posted by Justin W:
I got mine on Monday. Works great. I've gotten a chance to use it twice and I love it. My only complaint is the controls are not at all intuitive but after two cooks, I've got it down. The temperature read out is consistently 3 degrees below my guru, but that's not a big deal. At least it's consistent.

Other than that, it's great. No connection issues anywhere in the house even with 3 walls between me and the cooker.

Did you have an ET-73? If so how does this one compare?

I thought I did but now I think my old one is an ET-72. It was a gift so I just used it and never thought about what model it is. It's a single probe and only has "redi-check" written on it. No model number or anything. On the back, it just says "Maverick Interprises"

Anyways, there's really no comparison with my old one. Almost everything about it is different and an improvement. Like I said, the only issue I had is the interface isn't all that intuitive at first. After a few cooks, I've gotten the hang of it. I guess you won't have that problem.

The biggest improvements to me is the range. I like not losing a signal anywhere in the house.

I got mine today and I have to say that they improved nearly everything that was wrong with the ET-73.

The on/off switch is easily located. The range is GREAT. Before I couldn't be behind my dual pane windows 15 ft away from the transmitter. Now I can be anywhere in my house and not lose signal and even a few houses down before it loses it.

The backlight is nice. It is a very nice piece. I wish I never bought the ET-73 and waited for this one. If you are on the fence about this I can tell you it is much better than the previous model. How it holds up is a different story....

Originally posted by Scott Guerber.:
The on/off switch is easily located. The range is GREAT. Before I couldn't be behind my dual pane windows 15 ft away from the transmitter. Now I can be anywhere in my house and not lose signal and even a few houses down before it loses it.

I wonder how many people who bought this know exactly how many houses down the can go before losing a signal.
icon_wink.gif
I bet the neighbors all think we are nuts.
icon_smile.gif

Well one thing that kinda stinks is that the new probes are larger and don't fit through my bbq guru probe holes.

I have been using the thermometer all day on my pepper stout beef and the extra range has been great. So far so good...

Back