New Family Member (1996 Genesis 1000 Redhead)

Bob Ivey

TVWBB Emerald Member
Been looking for a while and found this on CL for $55.00. Did minor cleaning to see how it works and cooked some chicken last night. Overall it works well. Now real damage but will need some parts and major cleaning and painting. Seller said he replaced the flavorizer bars last year but still might go to stainless steel. I am really looking forward to rehabbing this beauty. SWMBO was not happy that I bought this grill but I think she is warming up to being able to just turn it on and cook. She will leave the charcoal to me. All advice will be appreciated. Not sure when I will strip it down and repaint yet, probably this spring or summer. Not to many parts to order from Weber, but they have most of the small parts I will need and they were really great yesterday to help with my many questions. There customer service is GREAT as always and the prices they quoted for some of the parts as ok. Very happy about this new grill. Have wanted a Weber gasser for many years but could not justify the price. Bringing these older ones back to their glory is the way to go and I have this site to thank for the idea.

IMG_6061_zpsx1caqxjt.jpg

IMG_6066_zpsony5uwbo.jpg

IMG_6065_zpsv5hmofgb.jpg

IMG_6064_zpsofq9ae9i.jpg

IMG_6063_zpsc8o7zjxt.jpg

IMG_6062_zpsccubhhow.jpg

That one will clean up nicely. I especially like to see the ones with the wood restored, they look classy.

Thanks. The wood looks to be in good shape. Will probably just need to sand it and refinish. Not sure of what product to use to finish the wood yet. Another possibility I saw mentioned would be to replace the wood with teak. Would be expensive but would look great.

Now for some questions. Most of my experience has been with my Performer and WSM. Have not used gas BBQ in probably 20 years and never on a Weber gasser.

1 I know the flavorizer bars were replaced last year. They are not stainless. What would be the advantage to changing them to stainless? Also any part numbers would be a help.

2 Not sure how old the grates are. They definately need a better cleaning that I did yesterday. They are hollow on the bottom and that is all I am sure about. If they were replaced, I am sure it was with the least expensive option. If I decide to replace them, what are the best options for this BBQ?

3 As far as a grill cover is concerned, Weber says they don't make them for this unit any longer. I am assuming that I will need one since the home for all things BBQ will be in the new BBQ area in the rear of the yard that will be built this spring or summer. Is there a Weber part number to reference in finding one or what are my other options?

4 I know that the black part should be painted with a high heat paint. As for the finish, was the original finish on the frame, cooking box, and lid side panels flat or a satin or semi gloss? It probably doesn't matter but I am thinking a semi gloss since that is easier to clean than a flat.

TIA for the help.

Hi Bob,

The only real difference in use with the porcelain coated v SS flavorizer bars is the length of time they last. If they were replaced last year they should be fine.

The grates look original. Give them a good clean, and use them. Then decide if you need somthing else.

I use a Weber 7553 cover on my 1100. It is a little big and a little long but does the job.

I used flat 'epoxy enamel'. Definatly flat on the firebox (external only remember) and lid ends (no primer on these bits, take back to bare metal). Cleaning is not a problem.

Enjoy the redhead!

Steve

Another question. After cleaning the lid (not done yet), I see that the black mark is not grease or dirt. I have used cleaners and 0000 steel wool and the surface seems smooth. Is there any paint product or other option to repair this. Obviously if this can't be repaired, it does not hurt the grill but I would love to make it as perfect as possible. Thanks for any help. See the picture below.

IMG_6068_zpscijkt0hc.jpg
[/IMG]

The porcelain is damaged in that spot. There really is no way to "fix" it. You could watch for another lid, or out a little paint on the spot (though nothing will hold up) or just live with it

I'm thinking I will just live with it and know that it is unique. After all, it is only 19 years old and still in its prime. And in a few months she will look almost as good as factory. Thanks for the input.

A few years ago I bought a 1999 red genesis 1000 from the original owners. I ended up replacing the flavorizer bars and grates with SS ones. I also replaced the burners because one was cracked. Even though all of the wood panels were in good shape, I replaced them with the fake wood looking plastic ones. I will refinish the original wood some day.

The one thing I don't like about mine is that it doesn't heat evenly from one side to the other but I work around it. They are nice grills. Enjoy yours.

Wayne

Thanks Wayne. I am looking forward to using it and also to rehabbing it. So many things to consider. The first thing should be to completely clean the interior and finish checking it out. Seems to work well so far. We will enjoy it.

Congrats on your redhead Bob!
I'll be following along on your rehab, since I have one to do for my son, once better weather gets here that is.
Not looking forward to the cleaning.

CAM00475.jpg

I understand the cleaning part. I am thinking of using oven cleaner (no heat) and leaving it sitting for 20 minutes and then getting the pressure washer out of the shed and getting all the gunk out that way. That will at least be a good start. Not sure if I should sand and finish the wood or replace it yet. Will probably try a piece first and then decide. I have a hand full of parts to order but until I strip it down, I'm not sure if there are more needed. Weber has been great with answering my questions so that should not be a probelm.

Yours looks to be in great shape. It should rehab to near perfect condition. You have a very lucky son. Makes me wish my dad had been involved in my like but it did teach me to be involved in my girl's lives.

Just took apart the redhead to start the rehab.

IMG_6081_zpskcvp7d4d.jpg
[/IMG]
IMG_6078_zpsihsibdi4.jpg
[/IMG]

IMG_6079_zpsostqowy4.jpg
[/IMG]

IMG_6080_zpsffo0owuv.jpg
[/IMG]

IMG_6083_zpserrezdif.jpg
[/IMG]

IMG_6086_zpsn3yhtl6o.jpg
[/IMG]
The area behind the parts against the wall will be the new home for the Weber family. Will put in a 12 x 12 pad and a prefabbed gazebo along with water, power, and speakers from the house audio system. Must have all the comforts since SWMBO has decided that the back porch is to small for the family. Will probably start that project towards the end of summer when funds are available.

Not sure yet what parts need to be ordered but that will happen later in the week.

Will post more picks as project progresses.

I agree with everything Stephen said. You are going to love this grill, Bob - it's a real sweetie! And a bad a**ed grillin' machine.

We grilled on it twice before it was stripped down and it was great. Can't wait to finish it and start using it regularly. Plus my wife can use it.

You're doing a hard core rehab Bob.
For my son's, like my mom or dad would say, I gave it a lick and a promise.
Sanded and painted the outside, stained and sealed the wood, but only gave it an inside scrape job, as far as cleaning goes.
Tried a 'green' spray cleaner, it wasn't much help, but heating it up and then scraping worked much better.

It will be worth your effort, and it will be returned to being a beautiful redhead!

That is nice thing about the old style Genesis. They come apart easily and are easy to restore and maintain.

Thanks guys. The only thing that I can't repair is the black spot on the middle front lower red section near the handle but that seems as though there is black porcelain below the red so it won't be a real problem. And it does make it unique. Work will be slow later this week so I should get more sanding and some painting done by the end of the week. Have to order a new igniter and will probably order the two warming racks. Those are so encrusted that I would rather just spend the money. The flavorizer bars are fine and I can live with the grates until I can justify the grates from rcplanebuyer on ebay. Still debating whether to replace the wood or rehab it. I know there is a guy on I heard about on another site that makes them for the cost of the wook and shipping. May look into that. Thinking about teak since it holds up well to weather. Will post soon.

Bob,
A vibrating sander worked well for me on the outside of the box and wood.
My slats were decent, some cracks, one warped, and several screw holes enlarged (or wallered out :))
I filled all holes with wood putty before replacing, not the best solution, but it helped.

Bob,
A vibrating sander worked well for me on the outside of the box and wood.
My slats were decent, some cracks, one warped, and several screw holes enlarged (or wallered out :))
I filled all holes with wood putty before replacing, not the best solution, but it helped.

Thanks for the thought Bob. I'll pull one of my sanders out and try it.

Back