New Dry Rub for Ribs --- Maybe the Best Yet? (Secret Ingredient....)

JeffB

TVWBB Pro
This past weekend I did two racks of high quality baby backs with a new dry rub recipe I thought I'd try out to see if I liked it. Based on my reaction and the reaction of my family, this combination may be my permanent "go to" dry rub from this point forward. The secret ingredient you ask? Cinnamon! (Who Knew?) (I apologize to those of you who already are in "the know" about this...). :D

Here is the dry rub I tried:

1/4 Cup Brown Sugar
2 Teaspoons Kosher Salt
2 Teaspoons Black Pepper
2 Teaspoons Smoked Paprika
1 Teaspoon Garlic Powder
1 Teaspoon Onion Powder
1 Teaspoon Ground Mustard
1/2 Teaspoon Cinnamon
1/2 Teaspoon Celery Salt
1/4 Teaspoon Cayenne Pepper

I slathered the top of each rack with prepared yellow mustard to "hold" the dry rub and then used the entire rub on both racks. It was just enough. WOW, they smelled AMAZING cooking. When done, I brushed them with Fat Johnny's Bastardized Piedmont Sauce and let that carmelize for about 10 minutes. Pulled them off and they sat for another 10 minutes and we ate them. Mind officially blown.

BBQ Ribs.jpg

Ribs look great. Always game for a new rub to try have a tri tip in the fridge that I coated with a new rub last night, kind of similar without the cinnamon.

Jeff, good looking ribs. So glad you made your own rub. Do you know the source? Does the rub have a name?

Here is a link to one that I posted here from Steven Raichlen. It also has cinnamon.

Last edited:
Those look awesome! Thanks for the "secret" ingredient tip. I may try adding some to one of my go to generic rubs.

Ribs look amazing! Last one that I did, I used a store bought tub and added cinnamon and turbinado sugar. Your right about the cinnamon, great addition!

I just read this in the Nov. 2020 issue of Food Network mag. about cinnamon.

"When you grab the cinnamon this month, know that it's good for more than just flavor. A new study from the Endocrine Society found that it can help control blood sugar levels in people with prediabetes, which affects about 90 million people in the United States"

How do the taste of the cinnamon come through? My wife is not a fan of cinnamon, in deserts I usually half it. Does it come through as cinnamon or does it just add to the overall flavor?

With the other spices it's hard to imagine 1/2 teaspoon is going to make much , or any difference in taste..?
but I never tried it, I think doing one rack with, and one without would be a good test, do that several times and you should have a definitive answer.

How do the taste of the cinnamon come through? My wife is not a fan of cinnamon, in deserts I usually half it. Does it come through as cinnamon or does it just add to the overall flavor?

You absolutely taste the cinnamon on the ribs but in my experience it was mild--just sort of enhancing the flavors of the other dry ingredients. These are not "candy" ribs or "sweet" ribs by any grasp if that was a concern, and they are not spicy as one might think from the cinnamon. Also, in response to Geo S, I agree that it seems like 1/2 teaspoon would not be enough to make a difference, but it really did make a difference to us. I'd suggest trying them out and seeing for yourself. Smoke on!

I'm not a big fan of cinnamon, but I did put a little in some Turkey and Black Bean Chili, per a recipe at Dad Cooks Dinner blog, and it turned out delicious. The cinnamon was there, but not dominant.

So I can see how it could be good in a rib rub. Maybe I'll add some to my typical rub on one rack, and have a taste test.

I've used this cinnamon/cumin rub on ribs for years.

Shown in use here:

Give Swamp Boys Original Rub a try sometime. It has a hint of cinnamon and has helped win lots of $$ on ribs at bbq contests.

Back