New Cocktail for Rye or Bourbon Lovers - The Mint-Mannie

John K BBQ

TVWBB All-Star
Just a couple of days ago, my sweet bride put the kabosh on my bbq plans and said she wanted to order in Thai-Food. What the lady wants, the lady gets. But, I was bored, so I "invented" a new cocktail. It's a mash up of a Mint-julep and a Manhattan, hence the name Mint-Mannie. I'm sure someone else has made this before, I just have no idea who or when ;) Here's what I did;

I took about 15 or so medium to small fresh mint leaves and put them in the bottom of my shaker. Then to make some simple syrup, I put about 8 to 10 drops of liquid stevia extract into 4 ounce cold water to make "simple syrup". I filled my shaker about half way with ice, put in 4 oz of simple syrup, and 3 oz of rye whisky, and 3 or 4 drops of bitters, and then I shook it like it owed me money. As you can see in the photo, I served "neat" in a Martini glass just for fun. On the rocks would certainly work too. Next time I'll probably go with a full 4 oz of Rye. Give it a try if you need to change up your beverage routine.

IMG-2620.jpg

I believe the “old school” bartender term in this case is “UP”. “Neat” used to be bar temperature in a double old fashioned glass or a Glencairn glass. Of course now that bartenders have become “mixologists”, the old school is out of fashion.
An opinion of a genuine old school fart!

Isn't rye the official whiskey of old school farts?;)

Many years ago a friend of mine turned 30 and we gave him a bottle of rye as a gag gift...it was opened at the party and I recall having a nasty headache the next morning!

Isn't rye the official whiskey of old school farts?

Bite yer tongue, ya young squirt..... :D

Personally, I'm not big on rye whiskies. This isn't to say that I won't happily try them occasionally. I do lean towards single malt Scotch whiskys (Islays, the peatier, the better,) good Irishes and bourbons. The clear spirits.....they do have their place, but I tend to drink them either straight or over a rock (not big on mixed cocktails.)

John, I've been pretty happy with anything I've tried from High West, just love their Campfire.

I'm glad to see there are some whisky fans here on tvwbb - even if we can't agree on which whisky is better. Are we even supposed to agree on that sort of thing? The forums would be far less interesting if we all just replied, "yeah me too"..... For me, I like variety. I tend to go back n'forth between bourbons, and ryes (even if it's an old fart's liquor). An occasional glass of scotch hits the spot too. Working my way thru that bottle of High West Double Rye at the moment, and have one more pour left on some Basil Haydens that I really enjoy. Not sure what's next. Maybe I'll try the Campfire, I haven't had that yet.

I love rye! I love scotch, I love bourbon, I love gin, I love vodka, I love beer, I love wine. I am called “Imbibulous” I will drink almost anything, not big on moonshine. Or things that are really sweet. Aside from an occasional mint julep when it’s hot in May.

I love rye! I love scotch, I love bourbon, I love gin, I love vodka, I love beer, I love wine. I am called “Imbibulous” I will drink almost anything, not big on moonshine. Or things that are really sweet. Aside from an occasional mint julep when it’s hot in May.
Sounds like you are an equal opportunity drinker, same as me, we may be birds of a feather! :giggle: Today could be a Mojito day since we have a bit of Bacardi in the cabinet that's getting a little stale ;)

I'm going to chime in and resurrect this one.....as I drink a rye old fashioned. :) I'm a brown liquor fan....love my bourbons and single malts (Islay guy.). I like your twist on the Manhattan, John, especially since there's NO VERMOUTH present (can't stand that.)

My favorite way to have fun with bartenders......I order a martini, up, with an olive......when they ask vodka or gin, I reply.....I ordered a martini (which, of course, means GIN!) :)

R

High west is a killer whisky especially the rye blend. I like rye so much I just made a batch of rye beer. Not quite rye enough on the flavor but I'm thinking of spiking the batch with some of that whisky just to see what it tastes like.

High west is a killer whisky especially the rye blend. I like rye so much I just made a batch of rye beer. Not quite rye enough on the flavor but I'm thinking of spiking the batch with some of that whisky just to see what it tastes like.
I make a cheater bourbon barrel porter. I don't have a barrel, primary fermentation gets a pint of toasted oak cubes and a pint of good Bourbon.

Back