New 18.5 bullet coming on Thurs.

Just cook on it. The more you cook the better.

The first time I used my wsm I did a dry run just to see how to control temps I was afraid to screw up my first cook. Do a pork butt it's very forgiving.

Ray no need to season it first.... When i got mine first thing i smoked in it was a 17# turkey came out excellent too.

Ray,

WSMs MUST be seasoned, and seasoned OFTEN !!!! I strongly suggest you follow what Tony R did... ie start with a pork butt. Heck, even some ribs or a turkey (like James did) would do. :)

Whatever you do, enjoy it !

btw, Welcome to the club :wsm:

Bob

added... The reason why specific seasoning procedures are suggested is for when their WSM(s) will be used in comps. I personally followed the seasoning procedure(s) with one deviation... we ate everything we used to accomplish the seasoning ;)

Last edited:
Hi Ray and welcome aboard. Congrats on the new WSM.
WSMs are enameled inside and out and do not require seasoning, just get to cooking!

No need to season it, but I suggest you take a picture while it's still shiny and new... you may never see it that way again. ;)

Smoker is now put together. However, I may have to wait until the snow we got this week melts. Thanks for the replys.

Finally got to fire up the smoker. Must not have had enough charcoal to start with,since the temp went to 255 and after about a hour was at 175. Initially put in about 60 charcoal bricketts. Guess I should have used a lot more. Had to finish ribs in the oven. Any suggestions? Thanks.

How much did you have the vents open, and did you pre-heat the smoker to 255 before you put the meat in?

I have a buddy who did that, turns out he was trying to get the dome temp to 250 or whatever, dumping nothing but lit coals into the WSM with all the vents wide open. He was burning up his fuel before the smoker even got up to temperature.

The way I do it:

- Fill your charcoal ring with unlit briquettes
- Set your wood chunks around the edges of the ring
- Make a little hollow in the top of the unlit
- Fire up 10-15 briquettes
- When they start to ash over, dump them in the hollow in the unlit
- Assemble WSM, put meat on the racks
- Vents go wide open until grate temp is 200, then close down the bottom vents to around 1/4 open. Adjust until I get the temperatures set.

Ray, if you are using the water pan I would consider buying the Brinkman charcoal pan. It works a lot better and gives you more clearance above the coals.

Tried it again today and what a difference. Ribs were eat off the bone,but you could cut them perfectly. Temperature control is still a challenge. Got to a temperature at 250 and tried to hold it. Smoked the ribs for 2 hours, wrapped ribs for 2hours 45 minutes. Really moist and delicious. Will try next week to get the temperature better under control. Any additional comments will appreciated. Thanks.

Ditto here.my first pork butt came put great based on all of the tips from folks on this site.

Good luck and best wishes.

Yes, should I get a rib rack?

LOL that's why I asked, I do my ribs on my performer, 2 hrs laying on the grate them I foil them and put back on for another 3-4 hours. I rip open one end of the foil and shake them into a big rib bowl. They fall off the bone, so I'll call that baked ribs! But I'll be learning all over again as a newbe to the WSM and bought a rib rack and will try smoking them standing up on their sides. So was just wondering how you did it.....sorry for the long winded reply......shove a BBQ in me mout!
Al

Back