New 14" WSM Owner

DCloin

TVWBB Fan

I've been wanting a WSM for a while. I recently gave away my older Smokevault smoker so figured I better find a replacement soon. I tried to pick up a 22" from Craigslist but was too slow. So I ended up finding a 14" at Walmart NIB on clearance for $99. Tonight I'm doing the first burn with a full chimney of KBB. I'm a little over 3 1/2 hours into it and the temp is still over 300. Can't wait to get it seasoned and try it out on a cook.

Last edited:
I just got one a few weeks ago and did an empty burn on it (although, I thought this was what seasoning was). Is seasoning different from just running it empty as hot as you can?

Anyway, mine stayed over 320 for 4 hours. I was really blown away how hot it stayed for so long. It even started pouring down rain once for about 10 minutes and it cooled down to about 260. After the rain stopped, it shot right back up to 325-330.

Pat, Interesting article. I hadn't seen that one before. Everything I'd read said to season it, but the article makes since. Maybe I'll just have to try to cook on it Sunday. Thanks for sharing.

Darvin

I just got one a few weeks ago and did an empty burn on it (although, I thought this was what seasoning was). Is seasoning different from just running it empty as hot as you can?

Anyway, mine stayed over 320 for 4 hours. I was really blown away how hot it stayed for so long. It even started pouring down rain once for about 10 minutes and it cooled down to about 260. After the rain stopped, it shot right back up to 325-330.

Put a chicken or turkey breast in it and let it run hot like that. It will splatter "stuff" on the inside and start a nice seasoning. After a while, it'll be tough to get it that hot without employing a trick or two.

I didn't bother seasoning my 14" WSM when I first got it.
Assembled it and just started cooking. No burn-off...nada.
I fail to see what all the fuss is about having to pre-season it before cooking on it. It's non-porous porcelain.
Did it run hot?....who knows?, I had nothing to compare it against, I used the dome therm for pit temp & the cook turned out great.

Cook on it straight away, & it'll season itself the more cooks you do. All good. Don't over-think it.

The only thing I season is my cast iron skillets. Like Tony I just started cooking in my WSM. To season or not I think is just a personal decision with no dire consequences if you don't.

I bought both the 18.5" and 14.5" within a few weeks of each other. I just started cooking on them without seasoning and they were fine. I found it very easy to get the temp down on the 14.5" when it got too hot.

Back