New 14.5" for my birthday!

Allen

The Boss Lady got me a new 14.5" WSM and a compact chimney starter for my birthday/anniversary and loving it! This will make a great addition to the family; I have been using a 22.5" for about 7 years but wanted something that traveled easier and used less fuel.

The 'lil guy is admittedly a lot smaller that I thought but after playing around with it, I get the feeling it is deceptive how much you can actually cook on it. It is just hard to envision at the moment since I am used to the 22.5" space; it's like going from a Suburban to Corvette! :wsm:

Did an initial hot run empty to burn off any residue a couple of days ago. Lit the little bugger up today to do some ribs and made a very surprising discovery. I initially tested the lid thermometer with boiling water when I unboxed it and it tracked dead on which was the 1st surprise. The real shocker is the lid thermometer is tracking within 5 degrees of grate temp! I have it running and monitoring the temp with my Mavericks, probe clipped to the under-side of the top grate, center of the cooker.

Allen

Happy Birthday. I have the same same set up: 22 and 14. Great little cooker that can feed a bunch of folks. Enjoy!

Congrats on the 14.5 and Happy Birthday. I have a 14.5 mini I made and an 18.5 WSM. With it being just the wife and I the mini gets most of the work except when I do L&S ribs the 18.5 works better.
You will be amazed how fuel efficient that 14.5 will be, my mini uses about a third of what the 18.5 uses and I'm sure the 18.5 uses a lot less than a 22.5. Hope you enjoy it.

I have one of each and the 14 gets the most use around here. As others have said it is super fuel efficient and you'll be surprised at how much you can squeeze in the little bogger. One thing you might consider for long cooks is removing the internal heat shield for a little more ash fall room. I did a 9 pound butt on my 14 and at the end my coals were swimming in KBB ash. Happy birthday and enjoy your new cooker!

Back