Need to drop Smoking T in a moment

Enrico Brandizzi

TVWBB Honor Circle
I need Your help.

I usually foil my pork ribs in aluminium after 3 smoking hours @250F.
But I would lke to reduce cooking temp from 250F to 225F ONLY for the foiling phase (40 minutes). The drying phase is back to 250F.
But I am not able to reduce T in a moment.
WSM w/o water w/pizza stone w/ BBQGURU does not react quickly and goes on super steady @250F for 30 of the 40 minutes. Then starts dropping, but never gets to 225F.
I tried to add original water pan seated over the pizza stone filled of cold water (6-8 litres): Almost the same failure.
Any other ideas???

I need Your help.

I usually foil my pork ribs in aluminium after 3 smoking hours @250F.
But I would lke to reduce cooking temp from 250F to 225F ONLY for the foiling phase (40 minutes). The drying phase is back to 250F.
But I am not able to reduce T in a moment.
WSM w/o water w/pizza stone w/ BBQGURU does not react quickly and goes on super steady @250F for 30 of the 40 minutes. Then starts dropping, but never gets to 225F.
I tried to add original water pan seated over the pizza stone filled of cold water (6-8 litres): Almost the same failure.
Any other ideas???
I'd probably lift the barrel and lid off the charcoal section and set it aside. Put something over the charcoal (an old pizza tin?) so that it doesn't super heat while the smoker / lid is off. Reassemble when temp drops (pretty quickly I would assume) If you have a charcoal chimney, you could put your barrel / lid over some lit charcoal so that you could hold some temp while the unit is apart

A long shot, but I think it would work :)

Remove the pizza stone ( because that does absorb alot of heat and will hold it for awhile ) then add your stock pan.

Tim

Maybe I'm missing something here Enrico, but I really don't see how a 25° drop for only 40 minutes would effect the final product in the slightest.
I'm sure you have a reason for wanting to do this because I respect your barbecue skills.

Last edited:
Fire is hot, and heats the air.

Open the the top and let the hot air out, and temps will drop quick... But come back because of hot fire.
Cooling off the hot fire will almost certainly be required for what you want... And will also almost definitely create the kind of smoke you don't want.

If anything, plan ahead and let the temp fall off more naturally.

Maybe I'm missing something here Enrico, but I really don't see how a 25° drop for only 40 minutes would effect the the final product in the slightest.
I'm sure you have a reason for wanting to do this because I respect your barbecue skills.

I was wondering the same thing Bob and was going ask. Enrico's cooks are outstanding and am wondering what that small a temp change can create.

Enrico... Might come down to where you place your probe. If it's affected by the thermal mass of that stone and/or the water, the atc can't react to it because it doesn't know any better. Get it away from the thermal mass and into an area not affect by the thermal mass.

(and this is why I place my probe where I do... in the area that some consider the 'hot spot'. It sees any change in the lit coals before any other place within the 'cooking chamber' of the WSM.)

Back