Neck bones

Brad Olson

TVWBB Diamond Member
My local grocery store has pork neck bones for .69/lb. Is it worth it to try and barbecue or grill them for standalone eating, not as an ingredient in another dish like beans or soup? Thanks!

Brad

If neck bones were worth the time, money, and trouble as a standalone product, they'd already be on every joint's menu as a poor man's delicacy.

69 cents per pound sounds like a lot of effort for the two to four ounces of meat you'll have to meticulously pick from each pound.

Aside from using in beans or soup as you mentioned, neck bones are traditionally used for making scrapple; where the collagen extracted from boiling the bones helps make the dish 'set.'

I'd skip this sale.

HTH

Ken

So this is interesting. You talking about just neck bones or sliced neck? One of the markets near me sells the pork neck sawed to cuts about 2" thick. Would you guys slow cook, and are these something good for smoking or for grilling? Didn't seem like there was a lot of fat there when looking at the cross section.

An Italian friend once served them to me.

She roasted them in a bit of water, lots of garlic and fresh rosemary and some olive oil.

Too much work to eat for the rewards, but they certainly tasted good.

Maybe everything with garlic and rosemary tastes good.

I know its been a year and a half since the original post, but figured replying couldn't hurt. I saw these at Albertsons the other day and picked up a big pack of them. Only cost $6.17, figured I'd make some stew or something with them. However, when I got it home and looked a little closer, they actually have alot of meat on them. My plan has changed from stew to throwing some rub at them and slapping them on the grill. It'll prob be next weekend at the earliest before I do it, but I'll write back to let ya'll know how it went.

I know its been a year and a half since the original post, but figured replying couldn't hurt. I saw these at Albertsons the other day and picked up a big pack of them. Only cost $6.17, figured I'd make some stew or something with them. However, when I got it home and looked a little closer, they actually have alot of meat on them. My plan has changed from stew to throwing some rub at them and slapping them on the grill. It'll prob be next weekend at the earliest before I do it, but I'll write back to let ya'll know how it went.

This is interesting. I saw them also yesterday for the first time and they seem to be as you described them. I also plan to buy and smoke these on my WSM , (or maybe the kettle) If they end up in chili or baked beans , so be it! :wsm:

They're good in the crock pot. Probably would be good in a smoker cooked in a Cast Iron Dutch Oven with all the fixings that you'd do in a crock pot

or you can use it along with some organ meat to make Scrapple. It's not something you'd grill but it's very a very tasty breakfast dish.

Back