Nathan's Foot Long Hot Dogs

I like making my own hot dogs. Stuff them into sheep casings. It’s fun because I make pork, beef, or a mix.
There is a local brand here in Petaluma called Evergood. Like their hot dogs and hot links.

Joey Chestnut is not a fan of Bar-S hot dogs.

"The competitive eating champion doesn’t love all hot dogs, however. When he first started training, he obviously had to buy a lot of hot dogs, which meant buying a brand that he could afford, Bar-S. Unfortunately for him, it left a bad taste in his mouth.
“They were so terrible, oh my God,” Chestnut recalls. He didn’t even want to think about what type of meat might be used by that particular brand. “Their bacon isn’t bad, but they shouldn’t be called hot dogs.” Amazingly, the not-so-great tasting brand may have helped Chestnut win.“I would eat so many more Nathan’s because they tasted better.”
https://www.foxnews.com/food-drink/joey-chestnut-bar-s-hot-dogs

Everybody has a right to their opinion...even if its wrong. ;)

We are in agreement on your first sentence. As they say, "De gustibus non est disputandum" or ""In matters of taste, there can be no disputes".

I have eaten many, many all-beef hot dogs, so I am generally familiar with the taste, texture, and juiciness of them. Given the fat content of Wagyu beef, there's obviously the potential to make a really juicy hot dog. I guess they've chosen not to do that.

In any event, I'm glad you like them.

Can't handle Nathans, but Sabrette, Sahlens, and Hebrew National are the best around here, with an honorable mention going to Hofmanns.

There used to be a terrific kosher dog named Best, but the company folded or sold out.

I'll have to try those Snake River dogs one day.

Barb and I have tried a variety of hot dogs and we found a recipe for which I believe is a pretty true to tradition Chicago dog ( I was rasied in the 'burbs of Chicago). We usually make chili dogs with my own home grown chili. But we wanted to try the Chicago style, bought some Nathan's to use in the test. Although not in the top three they came in number five in Chris's review so I though we would give them a try.

Last edited:

Back