Nakiri knife

JohnTak

TVWBB Pro
I know knives are a personal preference but I'm reading that the Nakiri knife is the new go to for everyday use, any suggestions?

With the amount of knives in blocks or cases around here, I’d better not get one….wait I do have one! It’s no better than an 8” chefs knife for my purposes, I keep it in the ”porta kitchen” because my sister in law has lousy knives at the cottage. Do you need to run out and drop a hundred bucks on one? Not unless you want to but, thats just my opinion.
I think the fact that it lives in a case that gets used maybe three weeks out of the year speaks as to how “great” it is.

I know knives are a personal preference but I'm reading that the Nakiri knife is the new go to for everyday use, any suggestions?
Nakiris are great vegetable knives. They would be ok at slicing softer meat. The edge is to brittle to cut through bone. They truly are designed for cutting and slicing vegetables.

A better all around Japanese knife would be a gyuto or santuko.

I have a couple expensive > $100 knives, but my $20 knife from Home Goods is my go to. Granted, I sharpen it before each use (electric sharpener) but it's my go to more often that not

I own and use three chef’s knives of all different lengths for the past 30 years. I don’t see a reason to get the “new” anything as my solution does everything already.

Unless it comes with a sous chef, who doesn’t talk much in the kitchen, I’m staying my course.

The equipment doesn’t make a chef better. Having skill and experience does.

There’s an old story about a kid meeting Bill Monroe for the first time and the kid said that he couldn’t play it very well.
Mr. Monroe took the mandolin and swatted out a tune on it, handed it back and said “There ain’t no thing wrong with this mandolin.” and, handed it back. If you don’t know who Bill Monroe is, look him up.

Good grief! I just realized I've been calling it a santoku instead of a santuko my whole life. What a weird time to figure that out.

I've have a 7 inch santoku and rarely use it. I keep it hidden in a drawer to keep my kids away from it. I've used it for slicing sashimi and some other things, however I prefer a very sharp chef's knife.

My wife likes to use a paring knife or small Santoku, I use a large Santoku or large chefs knife for everyday use. I guess I will add back in my Chinese cleaver instead of getting another knife. :ROFLMAO:

I'm still trying to master my Dalstrong Devastator. It'll cut through anything but by the time I'm done carving, I need a nap

HFAtYIL.jpg

I have used the same Zwilling professional S knife set for over 25 years. 15 degree angle. Made in Germany and I love them, especially the hand fit. They are european style knives. I have tried the Japanese style knives but wasn’t too keen on them. Even with all the variations and offerings, I have no desire to change.

They look awkward to me. Looks like a straight razor. Besides, do not need more knives.

Back