Nakeeeeeed Bird!

CaseT

TVWBB Platinum Member
That's right stripped this chicken naked! Wanted the skin and fat for making schmaltz. Cut out the back bone and loped the quarters off. Boiled the neck and backbone for some stock and gravy.

Ran some fresh sage, rosemary, thyme garlic, evoo, and lemon in the hand food processor. Rubbed the slurry all over the skinless bird.

Fired up the mini with KFB and cherry, Pit temp right at 400°-425° Took the bird to an IT of 165° in the breast. Served with garlic mashers, home made gravy and fresh steamed green beans.

15064057700_1da951c01c_b.jpg

15250359602_074fd674a5_b.jpg

15064009200_b1559a20d7_b.jpg

15244641741_2aabc1b29a_b.jpg

15247348942_09d0f9b9bf_b.jpg

ENJOY!!!!

Some of the best lookin' bird I've seen in a long time, Case!

Awesome job!! I'm gonna have to give this method a try. Thanks for sharing.

Some of the best lookin' bird I've seen in a long time, Case!

Awesome job!! I'm gonna have to give this method a try. Thanks for sharing.

Thank you!!! I really like this method, just haven't used it in a while.

Going to use the leftovers tonight for chicken and dumplings!

CaseT;
Great job all 'round!

I have come to prefer naked chicken. It allows you to get the seasoning in the meat and all issues of "bite through" or "crisp" skin are put behind you. Further, I do NOT miss the skin AT ALL!

My personal favorite way to cook is with one of my smokers, no water pan (in fact, NO deflector of any kind) and run it wide open just like Chris' excellent tutorial on the method. It is SO easy and the results are about as good as it gets. That appears to be just what you have done, here. I must admit, that I have gotten excellent results on my Performer (indirect then direct) and my Jumbo Joe (indirect then direct) also. More than one way to arrive at the same destination, huh?

Those Mini-Joes are terrific smokers, aren't they?

Keep on smokin',
Dale53:wsm:

I'm not to sure about that first pic*, Case - but the rest of the post is right on!
* - not really sure why???

CaseT;
Great job all 'round!

I have come to prefer naked chicken. It allows you to get the seasoning in the meat and all issues of "bite through" or "crisp" skin are put behind you. Further, I do NOT miss the skin AT ALL!

My personal favorite way to cook is with one of my smokers, no water pan (in fact, NO deflector of any kind) and run it wide open just like Chris' excellent tutorial on the method. It is SO easy and the results are about as good as it gets. That appears to be just what you have done, here. I must admit, that I have gotten excellent results on my Performer (indirect then direct) and my Jumbo Joe (indirect then direct) also. More than one way to arrive at the same destination, huh?

Those Mini-Joes are terrific smokers, aren't they?

Keep on smokin',
Dale53:wsm:

Thank you! Yeah the lost art of high temp skinless chicken. I used to do this all the time and kind of got caught up in trying to get crispy skin, blah blah blah. Realized last night that I really love skinless chicken off the grill or smoker.

I high to smoke all poultry. I think it's the best way to go. Some may argue that low and slow is the best, but I disagree.

The mini-WSM is a kick *** little smoker. I love all four of mine. When we go camping this weekend I'll be smoking up a storm!

Case that's a great way to do chicken and you nailed it. I've never run my mini that hot before will have to give it a try.

Case that's a great way to do chicken and you nailed it. I've never run my mini that hot before will have to give it a try.

Thank you!!! I do all of my poultry high temp. I just use the steamer insert that came with the pot as a diffuser. Se times I don't even use that .

Back