Myron Mixon's new book " Keto BBQ "

Lynn Dollar

TVWBB Emerald Member
Was released a week ago today. I bought it. Mrs Dollar and I started keto yesterday.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/1419751182/?tag=tvwb-20

A search for " keto " on this forum doesn't turn up a lot , but there's been others combine barbecue with keto and it does seem to be a good fit. Myron's book really opens up a lot of possibilities.

Would be interested in any " success " or " failure " stories.

We did keto for about a year. I liked it. Lost a bunch of weight. I'm not a big sweets/sugar/fruits person so it wasn't that hard. But the beer. Wow I missed beer. We have since transitioned to a Mediterranean diet as my wife missed a lot of things.

Anyway, almond flower and arrowroot are your friends. By far the best brown sugar substitute is made by swerve. I for one was not a chaffle fan, but a little almond flour, butter, baking powder and an egg make a pretty decent "muffin". After your induction phase, carbquick is another great alternative if you add some parmesan with it. For the most part, bbq was easy, it was the sides that needed some creativity. Zoodles and pesto were another of my wife's favorites. And you will also never eat as much cauliflower as when you are on keto. Riced/mashed were nice.

One of the nice things about the diet is how fast you will see results. Just drink a lot of water the first few days. It will help with the "keto flu". We found with a few substitutions you can still have a lot of your day to day meals. Just watch it with the fake sugars. The sugar alcohols used to make me feel like garbage the next day if I overdid it. Especially with a couple drinks. Good luck. I'll rember some specific recipes and add later.

Myron's book is very confusing on the sweeteners. He advocates monk fruit extract, the pure form. He says the others just trick the body into thinking its sugar, but ketosis won't work if the body even thinks its getting sugar. Or something to that effect.

But then the amount of sweetener his recipes call for seem to be way too large. If monk fruit is 250 times as sweet as sugar and he calls for a tablespoon ......... wow . Something is wrong there. It needs clarification.

I don't think the amount of sugar in rubs is consequential ? First, its only a part of the rub and then we don't eat all the rub applied. Serving size is very hard to determine. Sauce however, is a problem. Ketchup is filled with sugar.

And yes, its the sides that concern me. But we've already fixed Myron's Garlicky Cauliflower and it was good.

We're gonna try the chaffle thing, though we're very content with a couple eggs and bacon for breakfast. The idea of a chaffle BLT does appeal to us though, since I grow a lot of tomatoes.

We can drop beer for a couple months, we do that often. But I'm not sure about long term. We do enjoy craft beer, a lot, its what's got us into this overweight fix. We've already been making Old Fashioned's with a sweetener instead of sugar and enjoy those ..... and Bloody Mary's are only 3 net carbs.

Last edited:
I got another question ............... at the Amazon page for Myron's book, there's a review that gives it " one star " , its from a guy going by " Serious Keto " . And while I agree with him that the book is confusing on sweetener , I also detect maybe some " keto snobbery " ?

What's this term " dirty keto " ?

I don't give a ratsass about joining the " keto community " or adapting a " keto lifestyle " , Mrs Dollar and I just need to shed some weight.

BTW, from the review by " Serious Keto " , his concern that Myron does not tell us what " wood chips " to use, tells me that maybe this guy is not " Serious BBQ " .

So recently, the wife had another bad spell that entered her into the local pin cushion club (aka hospital). I posted the encounter in Joan’s ‘...and today is...’ thread. A few adjustments to meds and diet was the exit strategy.

We were put on what we dubbed the “Low 5 S plan”: Low salt, low sugar, low starch, low stress, and low scotch was the Dr orders. We settled on an arbitrary number of a moderate 50 carbs per day. According to the Mayo Clinic the avg is 250 carbs per day so we figure we will be OK with our arbitrary target.

I figured it wouldn’t hurt me to join her on this new adventure because I am the chief cook and pot washer around here and low PITA is my mantra. IOW, I am not cooking 2x different meals 3x daily.

So, we began low carb together. I cooked a Bacon Cheeseburger Casserole from Ditch the Carbs web site for a church dinner. It was awesome. ...and we did tacos with a Pioneer Woman taco seasoning adjusted with no salt and low carb Carb Balance tortillas. I couldn’t tell the difference vs reg tacos.

Last night I baked a low carb pizza with King Aurthur’s Keto Flour blend. Not bad at all. They have a few recipes on their site for other baked goods. I even made low carb brownies. Admittedly a little cake-y but otherwise delicious. ...and the Sugar Free Jolly Ranchers are out freaking standing for an occasional piece of candy.

I don’t see a problem with BBQ but I agree the sides are the key. Fran McCullough’s Low Carb Cooking describes several good meals and offers a lot of side dish variety. ...and the Drink Beer, Get Thin book by Bob Skilnik even plans a beer a day into the menus he lays out once you hit a transition or maintenance phase. I am a home brewer so that’s important to me. I like my beer a day now when it used to be two or three a day. ...and I’ve investigated ways to brew lower carb beer.

As mentioned: drink water and snack often. Our Dr said even lowering the carbs modestly as we have done will cause the body to use the carbs that are available first, then start using the body’s reserves to loose weight.

Last edited:
I think dirty keto is a no bun burger from Carls Jr or Five Guys. Clean keto would be an organic spinach salad with grass fed beef.

All the variations of low carb work well (and fast) if you stick to it. You get rid of a lot of calories and hunger/insulin spikes by ditching the sugar and big starches and upping the salad and veggies. So I would not sweat the minute details about the alt sugars, a little brown sugar in a rub, or whether you are actually in ketosis. Most of the time you really won't chemically be in ketosis and, imo, that's not really the core reason why low carb works.

If you like to eat meat, low carb is much easier to stick to. So it is a good fit for BBQ liking dudes like me. Pulled pork and cole slaw in a bowl works. Chicken wings work. Steak and salad works.

My issue was keeping BOTH me and my wife away from the big carbs long term. We had some big differences in what we liked/disliked, which made it tough (long term) to shop, cook and eat together.

I was totally fine with eating big volumes of cauliflower rice and didn't miss real rice at all. But my wife could never get used to it. I could easily go without the big sugars and eat more meat, but my wife was the opposite -- no ice cream is really tough for her. She was fine eating salad every day for lunch. After eating hundreds of chicken caesar salads, sometimes I just wanted a sandwich...

Good luck and keep us posted.

Last edited:
Jim C hit it on the head. Dirty keto is a lot of fast food ditching the carbs and hard liquor. Of course there is more to it than that and it actually does work to lose weight but for the most part not sustainable.

There is a difference between low carb and keto. Both will work, but my experience was for the most part "clean keto". My wife had an app that helped a lot tracking macros and such and we were usually under 15 carbs a day. That's total, not net carbs. Not super easy to do. It requires a lot of meal planning and careful shopping or it was too easy to just grab some rice or a loaf of bread. Lots of green veggies along with a good amount of fat.

The app was called carb manager I believe. The key for success with keto is tracking those macros and making sure you're getting enough fat to stay in ketosis. Otherwise they say your body will turn protein into carbs and it's a lost battle.

The internet is full of info but I will give you a personal situation of mine. I stopped tracking and after weighing for a couple weeks I was actually gaining weight. The cause ended up being two to three tablespoons of peanut butter at lunch everyday. That was all it took to kick me out of ketosis. I gave up the peanut butter and a week later I was down eight pounds. The point being, keto works, but you really have to track your food and do a lot of meal planning, or it won't work out. Good luck, hope my rambling helps.

The Amazon reviewer said Mixon's book was " dirty, lazy keto " ..................... so Myron wrote this book just to turn a profit ? Mixon's book makes keto look doable to me. Without it, I doubt we start a keto diet.

This " Serious Keto" fella who gave the poor review, also is a YouTuber. It his life. And perfect can be the enemy of good.

Really, if I want to lose weight, I cut out the beer, lower the calories, and get on my bicycle. Real simple. I burn more calories than I take in. But Mrs Dollar can't do that, she doesn't have the time to put 50+ miles per week on the bicycle. So I'm trying to help her out. We can't have separate diets, very easily. I'm not sure that a diet can be the central focus of our lives.

So Myron's book is not a good guide for us ?

Last time I lost weight was last September when I spent six days in the hospital with acute blood poising. Lost 18 pounds in six days and kept it off. But to answer the question, no I don't want to do that diet again.
I've found over the years that moderation and whatever exercise you can do will get me where I want to go. Although Barb and I try to watch what we eat we have gone a little from lean and healthy to quick and easy.
It's not easy staying focused all the time.

Back when I did Atkins (maybe back around 2000) which was around 20 net carbs a day all you could find was a bunless burger. No restaurant anywhere had great options. Try explaining to waitress what you want while hangry" I did a lot of cooking a protein with some kind of side veggies. It works great. A lot of is that you happen to be eating less calories. But what I hate about all fitness is that you have these "gatekeepers" just like with anything else you are getting into. You'll be working out, in the best shape of your life, eating well, but people will derail you trying to hold you to their insane OCD fitness standards. Do what works for you. It will work if you keep to it, but trying to do too much is where people go wrong.

A while back I had a long sit down talk with our family doctor about weight control. He is not a big fan of all the keto/ Akins/ south beach diets and the diet pills, shakes and other supplements out there on the market today. He explained it to me as weight loss is very simple math. Burn more calories in a day than you take in. He looked me straight in the eye and said “Chuck, get up off your ***”.

A while back I had a long sit down talk with our family doctor about weight control. He is not a big fan of all the keto/ Akins/ south beach diets and the diet pills, shakes and other supplements out there on the market today. He explained it to me as weight loss is very simple math. Burn more calories in a day than you take in. He looked me straight in the eye and said “Chuck, get up off your ***”.

But that's easier said than done.

Time constraints, age , and other factors enter in. When I'm riding the bike, I need to ride or an hour to get a calorie burn that matters, and after an hour on the bike my legs are gone. And I'm done for the rest of the day. Riding the bike becomes the central focus of my life, instead of the diet.

So Myron's book is not a good guide for us ?

Go for it. Just about anything will work -- if you actually do it consistently. So do something you like.

5 AM Crossfit and perfectly pure clean keto is great. But not if you can't make yourself do it. Or if you have to come home and take a nap after your workout.

There's a great book targeted at our 50+ male demographic called "Younger Next Year." A main point is that you have to exercise six days a week for the rest of your life -- you're only allowed to take off for the day you die. So you have to do something sustainable.

Sometimes it helps to have a shorter term motivation goal. Like training for a century ride, dropping 20 pounds for your kid's wedding, or getting in shape for the upcoming ski season. But, realistically, something like getting 10,000 steps a day has a much higher chance of being sustained.

I bought my bicycle in 2015, it has over 7,000 miles on it. And I lost almost a full year when I had shoulder surgery.

I get exercise.

When I'm not mowing the lawn, working in the garden, or repairing a fence ......... or something.

We really try hard to eat fairly healthy here. My biggest downfall is breads. I love bread, any and all breads. Also, my feeling is, if I spend 40 minutes enjoying a nice thick ribeye and it costs me 10 or 12 seconds of my life at the end, well that was a fair trade. Life is to short to drink cheap beer.

Lynn I was on a Atkins diet 15 yrs ago. Only diet where it actually produced results. You start with 20 carbs per day. Do this for 2 wks than slowly increase carb intake every couple wks. You are trying to find out how many carbs your body can consume and maintain a good weight. Made me pay attention to ingredients in food or drink. A 12oz coke or pepsi had 30 to 35 carbs. No bread,chips,potatoes, started drinking Mich Ultra. At first your craving bread, potatoes all the good stuff but after a week you get over the craving. Drink lots of water which gives you a feeling of fullness. I was on the Atkins for a couple months. Lost over 60 lbs. All it took was little ice cream here or bowl of cereal the diet was over the weight came back. My doctor did not like Atkins either but I did and it worked. Just keep an eye on your cholesterol.

Back