Myron Mixon Book

Dante

TVWBB Member
Just bought the Myron Mixon Book Smokin' and it seems pretty cool, all of his recipes call for cooking in a aluminum pan ribs,brisket, butt, everything in a pan, anybody cook like this? Also saw the Weber's Smoke cookbook as well, didnt page through it anybody own this or have an opinion on it, and is there a cook book dedicated to WSM?

Originally posted by Dante:
...and is there a cook book dedicated to WSM?
The closest thing you'll find these days is Gary Wiviott's book Low & Slow.

There was a spiral-bound book written many years ago just for the WSM by a guy whose name I can't remember. And I can't remember the name of the book, either. I've got a copy somewhere, and I can't find it. Three strikes.

Regards,
Chris

Gary Wiviott's book is good. I benefited from reading the book, but I got a lot more info from this site.

Wiviott presents things as if there's only one way to get good results (dictatorial). Here, I've learned people get good results in different ways. Not to say any thing goes, but there's certainly variations that yield acceptable results.

I asked for either Myron's book or Chris Lilly's book for Christmas. My wife got me Lilly's because she doesn't think much of Myron's personality, at least as presented on tv. I enjoyed Lilly's book.

I have Myron's book. I've tried some of his recipes and have had limited success.

I cook backyard BBQ, not competition. I don't know if this is the difference, or not.

Some of his techniques are different from accepted methods.

At his skill level, maybe it works well. At my level, maybe not so much.

I have Chris's book also, I love his Alabama white sauce on chicken. My wife hates it.

You can not please all of the people all of the time.

Each cook has to experiment and reach their own comfort level. That is part of the fun of barbeque.

I use their books, as well as advise and information on this, and other sites, as a basis for my cooks. I try to do it better with every cook I do.

Bob

Ditto with Chris on the Wiviott book. People misinterpret the intent as well as the sarcasm.

It's good/solid advice to get you to the basics of fire control, heat range, etc. Without the need for constantly checking temps, ATC etc.

It's good base study before you get into all the gadgets and mods.

And the food turns out great too.

It's WSM and fire management 101 that's it's primary intent IMHO. His cajoling is to keep you away from all the other esoterica until you understand the tool's basic characteristics and fire control. In that purpose it excels.

If it wasn't the last copy left for a pretty fair price I probably wouldn't have picked it up. Not a bad bbq book, though. (I admit it. I've got an addiction to buying bbq books, and if anyone wants a few, just contact me!)

Anyhow, no surprise, but the rub and sauce recipes are pretty basic. However, Mixon's suggested techniques and procedures are pretty detailed, but it all involves pans...lots of pans! While there are certainly some benefits to cooking in pans, I think racks need to be used most of the time to keep the meat (or wings, as in my case yesterday), up off the bottom of the pan.

Thanks for the tips guys!!! I actually returned it this morning, I really wasnt liking the cooking in pans part of the recipes. I also didnt like that in EVERY recipe, it would give you option of "Basic Rub" or Jack's Old South Rub, which of course you had to buy! I did get the Chris Lilly book which seems pretty cool. And I am on the lookout for the Wiviott's Low & Slow book as well sounds very informational!And I agree Gary the most help I have received has been from this site hands down!! But I do like to have a book in hand sometimes and just read. Thanks Again Guys!!!

Try C. Lilly's Memphis-style dry ribs. It's a pretty dang good rub, and smoking at 250* with water in the pan sans foiling or glazing is a simple, straight-forward and tasty way to smoke a lot of st. louis ribs.
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Originally posted by Davidd:

Post deleted by moderator for language

I really think that is how he comes across on TV. I got to talk to him for a while at the Jack Daniels BBQ fest a few years back, and he was a great guy. Very funny and friendly, and seemed to make time to talk with the people there and answer questions. He really enjoys what he does and takes it seriously - but I agree that doesn't always translate to a good tv personality. But honestly he is a big reason I bought my first smoker.

I seem to recall seeing Mixon on (I believe) BBQ Pitmasters and hearing him advocating dousing charcoal with lighter fluid....blasphemy, IMHO...

I cooked a brisket using his injection and the aluminum pan, but cooked at 250-275. Actually my first time to cook on my WSM. The flavor and tenderness were good, but not much bark. The next time, I cooked for 3 hours, then put it in a pan. Same good taste and tenderness, plus good bark and burnt ends. Really like my WSM and this website. Thanks to all who contribute.

Originally posted by Tim D:
I cooked a brisket using his injection and the aluminum pan, but cooked at 250-275. Actually my first time to cook on my WSM. The flavor and tenderness were good, but not much bark. The next time, I cooked for 3 hours, then put it in a pan. Same good taste and tenderness, plus good bark and burnt ends.

Notice the photos of racks inside of pans in the book? Actually, one page was a shot of ribs on those racks, on top of the smoker grates, not inside of pans. I presume he uses these racks to move the ribs from grate to pan without messing up the bark. So I guess it's better to do as he does and not as he says?

Originally posted by Dante:
Just bought the Myron Mixon Book Smokin' and it seems pretty cool, all of his recipes call for cooking in a aluminum pan ribs,brisket, butt, everything in a pan, anybody cook like this? Also saw the Weber's Smoke cookbook as well, didnt page through it anybody own this or have an opinion on it, and is there a cook book dedicated to WSM?

---Recommend "Whatcha Need to Know to BBQ like a Pro" by Ron Lutz. Has some really good information on how to set-up your WSM and some excellent recipies for BBQ.

Rick

WSM Classic, OTG

Chris Lilly's book is great for people new to smoking. I wish I had it back when I started. If you need/want a book, it is worth it. I flipped through Myron's book and figured using an alum. pan for everything wasn't for me.

That being said I have learned much more from the members on this site and my own trial & error.

Originally posted by richard garcia:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dante:

---Recommend "Whatcha Need to Know to BBQ like a Pro" by Ron Lutz. Has some really good information on how to set-up your WSM and some excellent recipies for BBQ.

Rick

WSM Classic, OTG </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Thanks Richard, I will check it out!!

Originally posted by richard garcia:
Yeah, that's the book I was trying to remember! Only available as a used book, apparently.

Whatcha Need to Know to BBQ like a Pro

I forgot...Ron asked me for a quote, and it's on Amazon:

"Unlike many barbecue books that are short on technique and long on recipes, this book focuses on process and techniques." -- Chris Allingham, The Virtual Weber Bullet

Regards,
Chris

Originally posted by Chris Allingham:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by richard garcia:
Yeah, that's the book I was trying to remember! Only available as a used book, apparently.

Whatcha Need to Know to BBQ like a Pro

I forgot...Ron asked me for a quote, and it's on Amazon:

"Unlike many barbecue books that are short on technique and long on recipes, this book focuses on process and techniques." -- Chris Allingham, The Virtual Weber Bullet

Thanks Chris just bought this from Amazon used for $5 including shipping

Regards,
Chris </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Back