Myron Mixon Book

Ive got Myron's book too and I gotta tell you, I dont mind smoking in pans.

You still get the smoke flavor in the meat and the cleanup is super easy. It also limits the amount of junk you get in the water pan if you use it.

I love the rub that he uses on the baby backs. his recipes tend to cater for larger servings, so you might need to adjust cooking times...

Originally posted by Dante:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by richard garcia:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dante:
, and is there a cook book dedicated to WSM?

---Recommend "Whatcha Need to Know to BBQ like a Pro" by Ron Lutz. Has some really good information on how to set-up your WSM and some excellent recipies for BBQ.

Rick

WSM Classic, OTG </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Thanks Richard, I will check it out!! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

--Dante, your very welcome; as my well-used book has many ¨dog-eared¨pages with many marking pen notations which has helped me better control the temperature on my WSM Classic that I bought new back in the year 2008.

Rick

Originally posted by Rob Waxman:
Ive got Myron's book too and I gotta tell you, I dont mind smoking in pans.

You still get the smoke flavor in the meat and the cleanup is super easy. It also limits the amount of junk you get in the water pan if you use it.

I love the rub that he uses on the baby backs. his recipes tend to cater for larger servings, so you might need to adjust cooking times...

Smoking in pans is very convenient, but I get uneven browning, smoke, and bark when cooking in pans start to finish as Mixon teaches in his book. As to the rub Mixon uses for baby backs, if you have it, please share. Like so many of the other recipes in the book, the baby back recipe in the book only suggests to use Jack's Old South Original Rub or the basic barbecue rub recipe from pg. 20.

Quote:
Smoking in pans is very convenient, but I get uneven browning, smoke, and bark when cooking in pans start to finish as Mixon teaches in his book. As to the rub Mixon uses for baby backs, if you have it, please share. Like so many of the other recipes in the book, the baby back recipe in the book only suggests to use Jack's Old South Original Rub or the basic barbecue rub recipe from pg. 20.[/QUOTE]

Are you asking for the Jack's Old South Rub because he doesnt give you that he wants you to buy it from him, but his "basic BBQ rub" is nothing special, its like all the others out there,there is no secret ingredients, just the basic, sugar,salt,spices that almost all have.

Originally posted by richard garcia:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dante:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by richard garcia:
, and is there a cook book dedicated to WSM?

---Recommend "Whatcha Need to Know to BBQ like a Pro" by Ron Lutz. Has some really good information on how to set-up your WSM and some excellent recipies for BBQ.

Rick

WSM Classic, OTG </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Thanks Richard, I will check it out!! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

--Dante, your very welcome; as my well-used book has many ¨dog-eared¨pages with many marking pen notations which has helped me better control the temperature on my WSM Classic that I bought new back in the year 2008.

Rick </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Bought it on Amazon last week,waiting for its arrival, only paid $5 including shipping

I have Myron's book, as well as Gary and Chris's. I don't often follow any of their recipes step by step. I kind of borrow technique and ingredients from various places. Each has something to offer.

Gary's Low and Slow book is especially good for a new smoker. It tells you about everything from building a fire, to brine and marinades, to rubs and recipes. It has specific instructions depending on whether you use a WSM, offset smoker, or kettle. I really like his buttermilk brined chicken.

But please, before reading, get a grip and take the tone tongue-in-cheek.

Re Myron's personality. Isn't it amazing how different how he comes across in Pitmasters season 3 (only slightly gruff, but generally friendly and professional) and season 1 (cursing, lighter-fluid spraying jerk). That's "reality" TV for you.

I picked up a copy of Weber's Smoke a few weeks ago. I like Purviance's stuff because it's generally specific to the Weber line, which is very helpful for my learning process.

"Smoke" is a little different in that Purviance includes recipes and tips for using smoke on a kettle, WSM and gas grills. It's not quite as in-depth as his other books, but I'd say it's well worth picking up...especially for us novices. Experienced BBQ'ers probably won't get much new out of the book.

One big line from the book that's stuck with me though; "treat smoke as a spice." I hadn't considered that before...makes perfect sense.

Steve
18.5 WSM/22.5 OTG (w/rotisserie & smokenator)

Back