My WSM has been going for nearly 20 hours

Jogan Thomas

TVWBB Member
Following on from my first post about keeping temperatures down my 18,5 WSM has been going for 20 hours.

I put 6 lit briquettes in at 12.30pm Sunday afternoon and it is at 220 now, I did open the vents to full at 6am for the sake of it to see what it would do.

It has always been between 220 and the most it shot up to was 280, sat at 260 for hours.

I filled the water bowl twice.

What a piece of kit!!!

I slow cooked a big lump of 1.5kg rib eye and the seared it on my MT

This is interesting ive never seen how long a full load can go. I always start with a full load and no matter what ive always had unburned coals left over.

Did I read somewhere that the Weber briquettes weren't going to be available for long?
Nobody knows for certain. A couple large retail chains had them listed at over 50% off at the beginning of summer. That kind of sale frequently indicates that an item is being discontinued. Also, they are no longer available for online ordering at Weber, True Value hardware, and ABT.

Time will tell.

Nobody knows for certain. A couple large retail chains had them listed at over 50% off at the beginning of summer. That kind of sale frequently indicates that an item is being discontinued. Also, they are no longer available for online ordering at Weber, True Value hardware, and ABT.

Time will tell.

I bought a bag of royal oak chef's select 40lbs for $23 at my local BBQ shop. I like it, not as much as Weber, but I like it. I would love to try jealous devil briquettes they are just a touch pricey for me. https://jealousdevil.com/product/maxxx-xl-briquets-2pack/
I would also like to try b and b. https://bbcharcoal.com/natural-oak-briquettes/

I bought a bag of royal oak chef's select 40lbs for $23 at my local BBQ shop. I like it, not as much as Weber, but I like it. I would love to try jealous devil briquettes they are just a touch pricey for me. https://jealousdevil.com/product/maxxx-xl-briquets-2pack/
I would also like to try b and b. https://bbcharcoal.com/natural-oak-briquettes/
They carry a lot of B&B products at Academy Sports if you have one near by. My last couple bags of wood chunks have been from there.

I took Royal Oak Chef's Select for my first midrange cook (6 hours on two racks of spare ribs) on the WSM 14 today. I have mixed feelings.
With Weber Charcoal in my WSM 14 with a minion of 6 briquettes and water in the water pan, if I leave all the vents wide open my WSM climbs over 300 easily. To set in at a lower temp I have shut down the vents big time. I love the ability to take the temps up or down that I have with the Weber charcoal. The other amazing thing with Weber Briquettes is that in my WSM 14 an over full basket has gone over 14 hours at 250 with a little Charcoal left after I was done with a pork shoulder.
On the other hand when I used Kingsford charcoal with a 12 to 15 briquettes minion method I could not get my WSM 14 with water in the water pan I can not get my smoker over 250 and I can not go over 6 hours without having to start to refuel.
Now to today's cook with Royal Oaks Chef's Select, I used 10 briquettes mention method. My cooker settled it at 245 with water in the water pan and I could not get it above 249 all day. However, it also never went below 240 all day. It just stayed rock steady at 245 ish with all vents completely open. After I took the ribs off I shut down the WSM and just checked the charcoal I still have a good bit left and think I could go longer without a temp drop or need to refuel.
I like the consistency in the temps of the ROCS, and I really love the smell of it while it cooks the only word I can use is clean. But, I am bummed that I can not get it as hot as Weber while cooking, but it does seem like I can get a good bit of time out of it. I will be looking for more Weber Charcoal Briquettes (to go along with the bag and a half I still have left) but will also try ROCS an a pork shoulder this weekend to see how long a full basket can go.

Do any of you guys know any affordable charcoal briquettes that can match Weber for heat and longevity of burn?

Chef's Select is the only briquettes I've used in the last few years. Used other brands in the 42 years prior...
You can easily hit high temperatures with Chef's Select. Although I run an ATC (Signals+Billows), hit 413 deg F last time around.

Chef's Select is the only briquettes I've used in the last few years. Used other brands in the 42 years prior...
You can easily hit high temperatures with Chef's Select. Although I run an ATC (Signals+Billows), hit 413 deg F last time around.
I just keep thinking how consistent the temp were using RO Chef's Select. I have always used water in the water pan when I do longer cooks with the goal of temps at 275 or below. With RO Chef's Select being so consistent with temps I am really thinking it may be time to try a empty foiled water pan with RO Chef's Select.

Back