My, "UP and COMINGS" on Ribs

Gene Brownson

TVWBB All-Star
My first set of ribs. I had to make about a 2 hour journey to get some fruit wood and lump for my first set of ribs. I bought some cherry and apple chunks. I also bought 2 bags of Humphrey's lump. I called my butcher and requested 3-4 lbs. of some spare ribs. I didn't take many pics, it was a hustle and bustle to pull this off. I ran into dark which for a rookie like myself wasn't good.
Here's the ribs
009.jpg

A nice set as far as my experience tells me. My first problem aside from trying to rush to get done and park my rear, was I didn't know how to trim spares to make them St Louis style. Of course, I googled AFTER they where on the cooker, how to trim a set up, lesson 1. I got a late start and got confused on the operation of the 732, I should've read and understood before playing, lesson 2. Because of the darkness and being unfamiliar with the operation of the vent holes on the bottom, I couldn't figure why my temps were so high and chalked it up to being new, both the operator and the equipment. Only in the morning to wake and find that I had a vent wide open, lesson 3.
Here's the mess that I turned out. They were very good tasting just the bones just fell away from the meat while I was removing them from the grill.
012.jpg

I had fun and got an education on some things NOT to do until you get a few under your belt....wait I can't find my belt know;)
I was like a 16 year old with his first car, proud as a peacock:cool:
010.jpg

Little did I know I'd get my first speeding ticket just going around the block. Like Bob's signature says, "it's just meat"!! We ate it and enjoyed it, despite it's looks it really did taste good. I don't want to just post my version of my successes, I think I should also post my short comings. Great learning experience. Thanks for looking!:)

Sounds like a great educational cook. We've all done it. Time will come when you grin and think back at that first rack and giggle to yourself....as you serve your friends and family what they are calling the best ribs they've ever eaten. Live and learn my friend. Glad to see you have some smoke on that new cooker!

No doubt, they are beautiful I'm sure you enjoyed eating them. Let me know if you need any help finishing them off. LOL

Gene, since it sounds like you were delirious (marked by uncontrolled excitement and/or emotion),
we'll let it slide that you did NOT include action photos...
despite it's looks it really did taste good
despite it's looks, it REALLY LOOKS AWESOME!!
Why Complain dude, eet and ENJOY!
My mamma use to bake cakes and did not like how some turned out, appearance wise... holeybirthdaycake Batman, it ALL tastes GREAT!!

no bonus points for looks here Mr. America;)

Mike, you're too kind. It looks more like pulled pork than ribs. :)

Mike G., you're right, it's good to be able to eat your mistakes and have them taste good. :)

I love the look of a shiny new WSM with smoke coming out of it. Almost as much as all the yummy food pics on here... Nice cook!
I am fairly new with a WSM as well and believe me you will be hooked and before you know it you will have it completely figured out

EDIT: I just realized you have 367 posts so maybe you arent new to the WSM, but just new to ribs. Either way, good cook :wsm:

Jim, you're right. I didn't mean to complain, I am a little delirious, I do need to slow down.

Last edited:
I love the look of a shiny new WSM with smoke coming out of it. Almost as much as all the yummy food pics on here... Nice cook!
I am fairly new with a WSM as well and believe me you will be hooked and before you know it you will have it completely figured out

EDIT: I just realized you have 367 posts so maybe you arent new to the WSM, but just new to ribs. Either way, good cook :wsm:

BAAAA!!! That's funny! I love it. I am new to the WSM and Ribs. Just shows, it's not how many!!

It's good you learned something even if the end result wasn't what you wanted, but you need to make your WSM a little dirtier. I think the shine gave those ribs a false sense of security.

Gene,
Fall off the bone ribs are fine with me, as long as they're falling into my mouth!
I think they look great, better than underdone, like my first couple of attempts.

Gene,
Fall off the bone ribs are fine with me, as long as they're falling into my mouth!
I think they look great, better than underdone, like my first couple of attempts.

Actually Bob, this one was my third attempt. I did 2 different trys at baby backs, they too were underdone. We ate them anyway. That was before I joined this forum, when I first purchased my 26" kettle. That was back in June of this year. It doesn't seem like it was that long ago, which it wasn't, but I know I've come a long way with my Q. I'm really enjoying the smoker. I've been having a lot of fun.

PS, I like your new signature

Gene I'd be happy with those ribs anytime. The mistakes? Let's just say you're not special. All of us have made them and probably will again sometime. If you're ever unhappy with results like this, please don't hesitate to send them my way. Great job!

Gene I'd be happy with those ribs anytime. The mistakes? Let's just say you're not special. All of us have made them and probably will again sometime. If you're ever unhappy with results like this, please don't hesitate to send them my way. Great job!

Thanks Rolf! Maybe we can make a deal, I'll ride up to Bucks and we'll swop, some of that great looking salmon and tilapia for some ribs, or, maybe we could just enjoy some surf and turf together;) Thanks my friend.:)

Back