My Spirit 500 Redhead Restoration

Tom - Calgary

Hey everyone,

I wanted to share the end result of the previous 2 weeks or so worth of work that I've put into my Spirit 500. The quality and amount of knowledge on this forum is fantastic and many of your guides helped me to fix up my Weber into something I'm proud of. My goal was to polish up the grill and replace the guts without spending too much money on it. After sourcing a few tools and picking up the majority of replacement parts online, I was able to keep things in the mid-$200 range which I'm happy about!

I picked up this bbq 4 years ago for $50 not really knowing the potential this thing had. It needed a real good cleaning, but I scrubbed it down and it has served me as my daily grill since. Overall, it's in great condition for its age. The frame had some tiny surface rust on the welds here or there, but all it required was a good degreasing and scrub down to shine it up.

The plastic handle and side shelf were showing some wear and were quite ugly in my opinion. I replaced the them with cedar slats, using the method Stefan mentioned of ditching the metal z-bars in favour of the wood cross members . I don't have much experience with woodworking other than shop class in junior high, but I did my research and had a lot of fun going through the cutting, sanding, staining, and urethane process. The end result was very rewarding!

I gave the inside of the firebox and lid a real good scrape down and repainted the firebox exterior and lid caps, while also giving the emblem a nice touch up. The ignition module needed a replacement, which was an easier fix than I had expected. I also cleaned and greased the valves to get them silky smooth....something I didn't think of doing initially, but I saw the tutorial on the forum and I'm glad I did!

The burners had some rust holes in them, bars were rusted out, and the grates had what looked to be little gouges in certain areas. I replaced them all with new stainless steel components (skipped out on the RC-quality stuff for the time being, but I might upgrade in the future) and have some steaks ready rock for tomorrow!

Overall, I enjoyed the process immensely and am super excited to get grilling and keep this Weber for many years to come!

Before pics:
IMG_20200509_092656.jpg
IMG_20200509_092702.jpgIMG_20200509_092713.jpgIMG_20200509_092742.jpg

After pics:

IMG_20200518_161359.jpgIMG_20200518_161333.jpgIMG_20200518_161344.jpgIMG_20200518_161426.jpg

Very classy! Cool to have an out of the ordinary redhead! Thanks for sharing. I am sure it will give a lot of joy in the years to come.

Beautiful looking restoration! I really like Stefan's side shelf technique. And the red blazes on the knobs are a really nice touch!

Awesome job. And I am sure you really enjoyed doing it. Doing it yourself is the best part. Knowing you can invest some time and a little money and you have a grill look like new. And every time you use it you will get reminded that you did it yourself. So happy grilling.

Tom -- your work is inspiring me.

There's one of these Spirit redheads on my local craigslist for $35. Thinking of spiffing it up and gifting it to one of my 20-somethings kids -- the small size would be a good fit for their current small apartment balconies.

Question for the group -- one kid would need propane rather than NG (which is what this listing is for). How do-able would a conversion be?

Tom -- your work is inspiring me.

There's one of these Spirit redheads on my local craigslist for $35. Thinking of spiffing it up and gifting it to one of my 20-somethings kids -- the small size would be a good fit for their current small apartment balconies.

Question for the group -- one kid would need propane rather than NG (which is what this listing is for). How do-able would a conversion be?
You would need an LP manifold, new hose and a new regulator

That looks great!
The more I see folks doing nice wood slat side tables, the more I think I need to see if my buddy that made the cypress table for my “Overperformer” has enough to make up a set for the Genny.
It’s really nice to have a friend with the woodworking skills that he has!

Tom - great job! That is a beautiful grill. Like others mentioned love the wood side table...nice touch!

Incredible! I will use this as an inspiration for restoring my Spirit as well. If you don't mind me asking. What kind of paint did you use on the frame and the side-lid arms?

Hey everyone,

I wanted to share the end result of the previous 2 weeks or so worth of work that I've put into my Spirit 500. The quality and amount of knowledge on this forum is fantastic and many of your guides helped me to fix up my Weber into something I'm proud of. My goal was to polish up the grill and replace the guts without spending too much money on it. After sourcing a few tools and picking up the majority of replacement parts online, I was able to keep things in the mid-$200 range which I'm happy about!

I picked up this bbq 4 years ago for $50 not really knowing the potential this thing had. It needed a real good cleaning, but I scrubbed it down and it has served me as my daily grill since. Overall, it's in great condition for its age. The frame had some tiny surface rust on the welds here or there, but all it required was a good degreasing and scrub down to shine it up.

The plastic handle and side shelf were showing some wear and were quite ugly in my opinion. I replaced the them with cedar slats, using the method Stefan mentioned of ditching the metal z-bars in favour of the wood cross members . I don't have much experience with woodworking other than shop class in junior high, but I did my research and had a lot of fun going through the cutting, sanding, staining, and urethane process. The end result was very rewarding!

I gave the inside of the firebox and lid a real good scrape down and repainted the firebox exterior and lid caps, while also giving the emblem a nice touch up. The ignition module needed a replacement, which was an easier fix than I had expected. I also cleaned and greased the valves to get them silky smooth....something I didn't think of doing initially, but I saw the tutorial on the forum and I'm glad I did!

The burners had some rust holes in them, bars were rusted out, and the grates had what looked to be little gouges in certain areas. I replaced them all with new stainless steel components (skipped out on the RC-quality stuff for the time being, but I might upgrade in the future) and have some steaks ready rock for tomorrow!

Overall, I enjoyed the process immensely and am super excited to get grilling and keep this Weber for many years to come!

Before pics:
View attachment 5209
View attachment 5210View attachment 5211View attachment 5212

After pics:

View attachment 5213View attachment 5214View attachment 5215View attachment 5216
Beautiful...I just picked another one up, did one a year ago but defiantly not as nice looking as yours. Great job!

Back