My new 26

Hank B

TVWBB Pro
Not only new to me, but it looks pretty much new as well. It's an '85 that was apparently used in a store display somewhere and then set aside in an attic. It's practically flawless and it never had a fire built in it.

It really fills up the bed in my truck.

DSC_5093-PP.JPG

It's a beaut!

DSC_5094-PP.JPG

DSC_5097-PP.JPG

It only has two flaws. Porcelain was chipped off two of the leg sockets. This should be easily fixed and is hardly noticeable.

DSC_5099-PP.JPG

The other 'flaw' is that the charcoal grate must have been misplaced somewhere along the way so I ordered one from Weber.

And I have plans for this. I'd like to make a "Super Performer" based around this. My son has made concrete counter tops for two homes and I'll ask him for his help making a shelf to fit this grill.Then we'll fab a card to support the concrete with a cutout for a large (think turkey fryer) propane burner.

But that's going to have to wait until I get some other projects done. In the mean time I'll just park my Platinum next to the 26 and use the side burner on my old coleman gasser to light charcoal.

I've also got a cover ordered to keep those wood handles looking fresh.

If the grate's for the new 26 will it fit an older model? I might be wrong, but when the new version was designed weren't both grates moved higher up in the kettle? If that's the case the new charcoal grate might be too wide to fit down in the original location.

She's a beaut, Clark!

Nice one hank you got your 26!

Brian

Oh and can someone give Shaun a BOO YA! We got the grill here in Chicago, Shaun was calling everyone out here about not getting this, now it's been gotten, now Shaun can apologize to all of us here in Chicago.....

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jim Lampe:
WoW Hank! You Found The Pot Of Gold!
Where? CL?? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Yes. I've been watching CL for among other things, a 26. A couple days ago two showed up in consecutive listings on my "weber" search. I missed out on the first one (a new one still in the box) but did manage to land this one.

At the same time SWMBO emailed me from work and said one of her co-workers had a forest green 26 they wanted to get rid off. Jeff K advised me that Weber never made a forest green 26 so I suppose it's really a green 22. (But we'll take it anyway.
icon_wink.gif
)

When it rains it pours!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Brad Olson:
If the grate's for the new 26 will it fit an older model? I might be wrong, but when the new version was designed weren't both grates moved higher up in the kettle? If that's the case the new charcoal grate might be too wide to fit down in the original location.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I made it pretty clear to the CS rep that this was an older one and even pointed out to her that it was surprising that it had never been fired up. Hopefully she placed the order for the correct part. I'll know next week.

That's Sweet!!! Make sure Weber knows you need a charcoal grate for the old 26". The new 26" grates won't fit it - charcoal or grilling - it's been completely redesigned. Killer score.

I have one of these of similar vintage and noticed something quite odd - which looks the same on this grill. If you compare the top vent against a current 22" kettle.. or even older ones.... the holes in the vent are smaller. I have no idea why they did this and it creates issues at times when trying to keep a HOT fire going. I have a later 1989 26" that uses the same size vent holes as the current 22" and 26" kettles... just an oddity...

Very nice find. On a side note can you order an ash catcher, simalar to the one on the newer 26ers.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Allen Sharar:
That's Sweet!!! Make sure Weber knows you need a charcoal grate for the old 26". </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I tried to be pretty clear abut that when I called earlier today.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Allen Sharar:
... If you compare the top vent against a current 22" kettle.. or even older ones.... the holes in the vent are smaller. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I'll have to check that out. I find that when I want high heat, it seems like I have to leave the cover of my Platinum cracked a bit to get more air.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dave O:
Very nice find. On a side note can you order an ash catcher, simalar to the one on the newer 26ers. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I've given that some thought. It's not high on my priority list but I do like the ash buckets on my MT and Platinum.

Thanks all for the comments.

Super score Hank!

Wouldn't the newer style charcoal grate just sit a little higher not on the tabs? I bet you could also make a few small cuts to a newer one and it would fit perfect. Otherwise a grate from another model charcoal or main might fit.

I would get a slide aside or a lid bale kit for a new 26'r for it. Those lids get heavy.

meh, it has wood handles that are out dated. since i'm a nice guy i'll send you some nice clean plastic ones so you are up to date and you send me the wood ones so my grill won't look naked.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">george curtis </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
smiley-laughing001.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by george curtis:
meh, it has wood handles that are out dated. since i'm a nice guy i'll send you some nice clean plastic ones so you are up to date and you send me the wood ones so my grill won't look naked. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
That's a very generous offer george, but I could never take advantage of another boarder like that!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Brian O'Neal:
Nice one hank you got your 26!

Brian

Oh and can someone give Shaun a BOO YA! We got the grill here in Chicago, Shaun was calling everyone out here about not getting this, now it's been gotten, now Shaun can apologize to all of us here in Chicago..... </div></BLOCKQUOTE> Okay, I apologize!
icon_razz.gif

Back