My Jack Daniel's & Maple Syrup Brined Turkey w/Pics

I've been using this recipe for the last 9 years and I'll be using it again this year. It's a winner.

Bill

Last edited:
Well, my 23lb turkey is in the brine on my back porch. I'll take it out early Wednesday and then let it dry, uncovered in the fridge.

Bill

Glad to see you guys are still enjoying the recipe, mines going down tonight! A little jack for the bird, a little jack for LarryR!

What woods are you guys using? I'm using cherry this year.

Glad to see you guys are still enjoying the recipe, mines going down tonight! A little jack for the bird, a little jack for LarryR!

What woods are you guys using? I'm using cherry this year.

I usually use a mix of cherry and apple with this brine.

My bird went in this brine last night at 8PM, due out Wednesday at 6PM followed up by a 20 hour drying (suspended upside down in the emptied / cleaned bucket it's currently brining in) - I added a sliced up orange to the brine and I doubled the JD amount

My bird went in this brine last night at 8PM, due out Wednesday at 6PM followed up by a 20 hour drying (suspended upside down in the emptied / cleaned bucket it's currently brining in) - I added a sliced up orange to the brine and I doubled the JD amount

So I'm not the only one upping the bourbon and adding orange? Excellent.

So I'm not the only one upping the bourbon and adding orange? Excellent.
My kids eyes always bug out when I pour two cups of JD into brine, they still like drinking JD. I will admit, I like the Gentleman Jack but alas, regular JD is for cooking in my books :)

I think regular JD is the best bourbon for cooking. Although my last trip to the liquor store, they had the 'holiday pack' of Makers Mark with a bottle of Makers and a bottle of Makers 46. It was only $7 more than the single bottle of JD. So we're having Makers brined turkey this year. :p

I'm using Maker's Mark this year because that's what I had. I'll be smoking the bird on my Big Green Egg with cherry and apple wood.

Bill

Went with Jim Beam this year, it's what I had on hand as I've switched to drinking Rye Whiskey (High West or Templeton).

Stirred her up last night and that sweet boozy smell hit my nose. Can't wait to get this baby on the smoker. Looks like we have a few drunk birds going this year.

Trying this recipe for the 1st time, got a 17lb bird drinking up some Jim Beam. Used the Beam because I had a bottle laying around for ages. The Jack I drink myself. Plan on spinning it tomorrow on the kettle.

Was wondering if anybody can actually taste a difference using different Bourbons. I mean it would be hard for me to tell the difference tasting the brine, never mind the turkey.

It sure smells great though. Can't wait to taste.

Jim Beam isn't as sweet as Jack Daniels, but JB will just fine. JD probably makes the best cooking Bourbon/Whiskey, which is great as it's one of the most affordable ones out there

LarryR I have been looking for a good roasting pan with a rack similar to what you have. Where did you get it? What size is it and would that one you have fit in your 18" WSM?

@Dave Stopp - Can't help with the roasting pan, my MIL had it for years and gave it to me when I was looking for a good pan. Roasting rack is from Bed Bath and Beyond. Great rack, it's adjustable which I like.

Hats off to LarryR!

Did a traditional stuffed oven roasted bird along with this 17lb dizzy drunken bird. The Bourbon + Maple bird was a big hit with all the guests and was the overwhelming favorite. So moist and tasty. Made some maple sausage stuffing which paired into a killer combo.

Will be making this bird again every year.
Thanks for the recipe and all the great forum support.

shdVMyy.jpg

Can't wait to start this recipe again. Will be spinning a 19 pounder and soaking it in Jack Daniels this year.
Happy Daze!

Can't wait to start this recipe again. Will be spinning a 19 pounder and soaking it in Jack Daniels this year.
Happy Daze!
Nice! Putting my bird down this morning. Glad to see people still enjoying this recipe. I've tried a couple others but always seem to come back to this one.

Not cooking the bird this year, so I'll grab a turkey breast or two over the weekend and maybe make some for Christmas.

Back