My Jack Daniel's & Maple Syrup Brined Turkey w/Pics

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by LarryR:
Thanks for the break from expense report ****! I swear I'm NEVER going to wait until the end of the year to do this crap.

Anyway, if you're only using 1/3 cup of Kosher salt to a gallon of water you have no worries, that's a pretty weak brine. If my brain isn't to fried to do the conversion from table salt to Kosher 1/2 cup table = 3/4 Kosher. Sound right guys? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

11 months later....

I used 1/3 Kosher salt because the turkey was a butterball with 8% solution in it. If you had that turkey would you still keep your same salt:water ratio?

I'm spreading the word and getting someone else to do their first JD Brined bird this year! I'm doing two, one for a work feast and the other for family. Can't wait!!

Doug, yes, I'd keep that ratio. And I can't believe I'm in the same **** position on my expense reports again this year. Will I EVER learn . . .

Amen brother, spread the word on the JD Maple syrup brined bird. It's the Rodney Dangerfield of brines
icon_frown.gif

Hey LarryR, quick question.

I saw that you did Kerri C's Apple Brined Turkey a few years back here . How did you like it compared to this recipe.

Coin flip on witch to try out this year...

Thanks

Wayne

Wayne:

Do both. We did turkey day at our place a couple years back and I did a whole bird in the oven with the apple brine and a breast on the WSM with the JD/Syrup brine. They were both a big hit. I hadn't done a turkey breast on the WSM prior to that, so the whole bird in the oven gave me some nice peace of mind in the event I screwed something up on the WSM.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Wayne_R:
Hey LarryR, quick question.

I saw that you did Kerri C's Apple Brined Turkey a few years back here . How did you like it compared to this recipe.

Coin flip on witch to try out this year...

Thanks

Wayne </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm not Larry but I'll let you know how mine goes on Friday! I lied in my post above about doing 2 JD brined birds, due to an ingredient shortage. So I resorted to Keri's Apple Brined Turkey. I expect it to kick butt so I can have 2 different "go-to" turkey brines!

Man I love turkey season.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Wayne_R: I saw that you did Kerri C's Apple Brined Turkey a few years back here . How did you like it compared to this recipe. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Loved it! Great recipe and I'll be doing it again this Thanksgiving (along with a JD bird), however, I do have to say side by side my guests ate more of the JD brined bird than the Apple brined. Can't go wrong with either in my book.

EDIT: I do want to say I probably "sold" the JD bird over the Apple brined to my guests too, so it wasn't a "blind" test.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by LarryR:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Wayne_R: I saw that you did Kerri C's Apple Brined Turkey a few years back here . How did you like it compared to this recipe. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Loved it! Great recipe and I'll be doing it again this Thanksgiving, however, I do have to say side by side my guests ate more of the JD brined bird than the Apple brined. Can't go wrong with either in my book. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Got those expense reports done yet?!?! I can relate that procrastination to about 5 different things in my life, so don't beat yourself up.
icon_smile.gif

Larry- I am intrigued by the recipe and am going to try it this year but I have a quick question. I am planning to smoke a 20 pound turkey and was curious approximately how long (how many hours) it should take to get to 165 in the breast?

Marcus C. - I'd guess 3 - 3.5 hours if you're running 325ish (that's what I do my birds at). I find that a brined bird cooks faster than non-brined so this probably won't align with standard cooking time charts. Also, try the icing the breasts trick, it's a winner.

I plan on trying this out next week. It will be my first smoked turkey. I understand that it's cooked at a higher temp, but do you guys use your water pan in the smoker? I have mine switched out for a clay pot, but have been considering using the water bowl. What do you guys do?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by scott harlan:
I plan on trying this out next week. It will be my first smoked turkey. I understand that it's cooked at a higher temp, but do you guys use your water pan in the smoker? I have mine switched out for a clay pot, but have been considering using the water bowl. What do you guys do? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Use an empty, foiled water pan. If possible, put a couple balls of foil in the pan (but under the foil "wrap") to keep a little air between the foil and the pan. This will allow you to still catch the drippings, but keep them from burning due to near direct contact with the pan.

Thanks Larry,

I'm gonna do Apple Brined on a Fresh whole turkey and the JD Maple on a breast.

What sort of ratios for the brine should I do on a breast??

I'm going to be trying this over the weekend as a practice bird. Picked up the bourbon and maple syrup (as somebody else pointed out, real maple costs more than the Thanksgiving discounted bird)

Can Larry or anybody else confirm that there's no rub or oil or anything put on or in it?

EDIT: Just noticed that Larry does mention oiling and seasoning, so I think I'll hit it with some olive oil and maybe some Bell seasoning with a little paprika for color.

Scott H. - I use an foiled water pan without the foil balls as I have the bird in a roasting pan to catch the drippings.

Wayne R. - Depending on the size of the breast I'd probably cut everything in 1/2 including the water IF that amount of liquid will cover the bird. Make sense? In a 5 gallon bucket it would probably take a full recipe to cover a breast.

John L. - I've rubbed with butter, I've coated in EVOO and now I spray with canola oil. I salt and pepper all of the above.

I'm doing this recipe on Thursday. Does anyone have any suggestions / recommendations for the gravy that you make from the drippings?
Thanks
Randy G

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Randy G:
I'm doing this recipe on Thursday. Does anyone have any suggestions / recommendations for the gravy that you make from the drippings?
Thanks
Randy G </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Bourbon gravy?
http://www.williams-sonoma.com...e/bourbon-gravy.html

And this is the best gravy I've ever made. No bourbon though.
http://www.nakedwhiz.com/madmaxturkey.htm

Randy, this is the gravy I do as well. Killer stuff!<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">And this is the best gravy I've ever made. No bourbon though.
http://www.nakedwhiz.com/madmaxturkey.htm </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have always done the Apple Brine with great success. Thinking this year a hybrid between the JD Maple Syrup and the Apple Brine. Have you ever substituted two quarts of apple juice for two quarts of water?

Dan

Back