My Jack Daniel's & Maple Syrup Brined Turkey w/Pics

Do you heat brine to mix up all ingredients and then let cool before putting bird in or just go cool/room temp and mix vigorously with spoon??

Wayne_R. - 1/2 the time I heat and cool, 1/2 stir with spoon. To date I've yet to see a difference in the final product. I do "spin" the turkey in the brine every few hours while brining.

Just dropped the 15 lb bird in the brine mixture of JD and Maple along with the quarters from 3 oranges, Kosher salt, pickling spice. Can't wait to see how this comes out. Thanks for the posting.

Garret - Got a 21 lber down myself this afternoon. Plan on letting her bath about 28 hours. Hope you like the results!
MiscJ-Man005.jpg

I've got one in the brine as well. I did a bird on the smoker a few years ago (can't remember which brine), and it wasn't much of a hit. Ran across this post, and had to harass the bride into letting me smoke a bird again this year. Crossing my fingers that it will go over well. I think it will based on all the positive feedback here.

Oooooops. Opened jd last night and had a "one for you, one for me moment" while talking

to friends...forgot maple syrup. Put in after 12 hrs of brining already. Thoughts? LiquOred up bird?

Wayne - Hmmmm, the good news is it sounds like you like Jack lol! I think you'll be OK. Let us know how she turns out.

Everyone looked this turkey. the gravy was amazing, nice smoky flavor. Turkey was a huge hit. Expectations were low as most people never had a brined and smoked turkey. Everyone was blown away by the results. I put a pierced orange in the opening of the bird. Very little left in terms of leftovers. Great recipe and thank you for posting. This will become a regular for Thanksgiving and anytime we do turkey.

I have the exact same brining bucket in my house except surrounded by Natural ice (for my college freshmen-this is what they are drinking not at school). I will post pictures tomorrow of the finished produce.

my apologies for the spelling errors. It isn't the booze, i think it is related to the Mac software. That is my story and I am sticking with it.

Made both yours and apple brine from keri c. Fantastic. Rave reviews from both. Yours, had a lil sweet from maple. Must doooo. Got a call today that it was the best turkey they ever had- My Dad, 66 years old. Also a hard core Seventh Day Adventest who only eats meat on special occasions, wary, but ate it all and asked for seconds. Thanks again and have a great Holiday!

Sounds like the brine was a hit for everyone. Here are the PICTURES from my T-Day. Bird was a hit but I do have to say the gravy stole the show. Just killer!

After my total turkey debacle last year I am primed for redemption! Turkey is in the brine and I can hardly wait to get it on the smoker! Thanks for posting all of the information over the years, it has helped me figure out what went wrong and how I can correct my mistakes.

I picked up my bird (also got a spiral sliced ham from Costco too). I'm going to go hike & ski a lap & then throw it into the brine...... I've read your directions a few times so far, and several other times over the years... Wish me luck!

I picked up my bird (also got a spiral sliced ham from Costco too). I'm going to go hike & ski a lap & then throw it into the brine...... I've read your directions a few times so far, and several other times over the years... Wish me luck!
Sweet! My girls going under in the morning. I taste tested the Jack Daniels over the weekend and it was perfect ;) Good luck man! Any questions feel free to send me a pm (or post here of course).

Someone had asked me if I had ever recorded one of these cooks (I record my cooks from time to time) and I remembered I had. Warning it's raw, very raw and has no editing done at all. Also, by the end of the video the Miller Lites and Champagne had caught up with me so please forgive. Here's a link to the video -

Thanks Larry!
Much better than watching NCIS, currently on the tee vee, being watched by my wife. :(

Last edited:
'Tis the season! And since we're hosting this year, I get to do Larry's drunken bird. Just bumping this thread so others may enjoy this great recipe.

Back