My first dishwasher

I ran the blade & processor bowl/chute through the dishwasher before I left, came home & straight from the dishwasher (perfectly clean & dry). I ran 8 oz of the same cheese but from a new block & it came out as expected, then I took a ~6 oz block remainder & ran it through - it shredded finer & balled up on top of the blade, so the freezer time affected this particular cheese. I saved the regular stuff & made nachos with the rest.

Yes freezing does change the molecular of any cheese. Meat too. One reason why I never freeze any meat other than burgers and even then I will not eat them. Wife does. She can't tell the difference. But, I can. I find the texture change of any protein enough to put me off eating it

Yes freezing does change the molecular of any cheese. Meat too. One reason why I never freeze any meat other than burgers and even then I will not eat them. Wife does. She can't tell the difference. But, I can. I find the texture change of any protein enough to put me off eating it

I like to freeze bacon if it's going to take a while to get around to cooking it. It seems completely unaffected by freezing.

Yep, bacon is one of those things that can get away with it. There is a meat packer out here (Eichman's) that sells outstanding product. They supply many of the fine steak houses and so on. Well unless you place an order if you just walk it everything they sell is "flash" frozen and vacuum sealed. Oddly enough if not allowed to thaw until just prior to cooking that meat is fantastic. So while I don't freeze meat myself I will buy it packed that way. I have experimented with attempting a good freeze myself. One technique I did find that works ALMOST as well is to freeze the meat product unwrapped on a rack so air can circulate. Then remove the meat and fully wrap it frozen. I heard this allows a faster and harder freeze so the ice crystals don't effect the meat as much. But while "better" I still dislike it

You're right, it's my understanding that flash freezing minimizes formation of big ice crystals which do most of the damage in frozen foods. Then storing in a chest freezer at a constant temp also helps, unlike a frost-free freezer where the temp cycles up/down each day.

Yeah I do not have (nor do I want) a dedicated chest freezer. I have just never been big on buying huge quantities of foods and doing the freezer stash thing. I have a grocery only a mile from the house anyway, a Sam's 2 miles or so, and various other warehouse and grocery stores in a 20 minute drive distance. So I don't feel any need to do the "larder thing". Maybe if I decided to buy a large part of an animal from one of the many farmers around here that sell like that. But, here too, I want the cuts of meat I WANT not a whole bunch of parts I really don't want to cook

Last Friday (not Yesterday), I got home from a LONG day, put a couple scattered dishes in the dishwasher & went to start it and it wouldn't power on.

17 months since I put it in. I watched some youtube videos, took it apart a little, pulled it out & checked the voltage regulator........anyway, last Saturday my project became replacing the dishwasher.

This time I got a Bosch SHXM4AY55N

https://www.bosch-home.com/us/productslist/dishwashers/top-controls/SHXM4AY55N

I looked at the main board, it was ~$200, called a couple service companies, the one that was open said $70 to send a tech to give an estimate.

I liked the LG better, this Bosch might do a better job cleaning, but I've only ran 3 loads through so far. I had the layout on my old one dialed, this one's awkward but I'm sure I'll figure it out. I passed on the extended warranty again. :confused:

We are on our first dishwasher in this house after 11 years. It has a custom front made by Big Chill on a Kitchenaid dishwasher. About 4 years ago it began leaking so we had to replace the pump assembly. Other than that it has been great! Our old house had 3 dishwashers... a budget GE that came with the house, an Australian made one with great features, but caught fire after about 2 years, and a Kitchenaid. We've had dishwashers for 37 years. No good knives, just the usual every day paring or steak knives, no aluminum since it discolors and definitely no crystal since it gets cloudy. We use Cascade and also a rinsing agent to reduce the spots.

After all the trouble and bad service from LG I have had there will NEVER be a major LG purchase in my house EVER again. This past time was an LG range. $1200 piece of garbage. They don't stand behind anything they make. Had the same issue with my LG phone. Bought it because of 2 year warranty. Good luck getting them to stand behind it. Was so sorry I just didn't bite the bullet and buy another Bosch range. If my back hadn't been against the wall (broken oven and wife needing to do Christmas baking) I might have held out to buy the parts for the Bosch I had or found another one from Bosch. Two companies on my $hit list Frigidaire/Electrolux and LG awful awful awful companies

Agree with the LG crap. One of the worst customer service companies, and the products just don't last.

FWIW we are on our second dishwasher in 20 years at our home. The first was a Kenmore, which cleaned well, but was noisy; finally crapped out after 15 years. Replaced it with a Whirlpool, which is very quiet, and cleans almost every kind of crap stuck on yucky stuff I have thrown at it.

Clint, I sincerely wish you the best of luck with your new Bosch. Sometimes these appliances are a pain.

I also thought LG was A great brand. One Dishwasher toast after 4 yrs. Wash machine started squealing doing a spin cycle ( I thought I dropped a screw from my pocket) That was 4 yrs also.
Both of them had the smart phone Diagnostics app, and that was a joke, neither would tell you what the problem was, except to call a service rep.

Bottom line parts and labor were more then I paid for them. Service guy gave me a heads up and suggested if I buy new pay extra for the extender warranty. His point was that these newer ones are just cheaply built, and they rail you when it comes time to service them.
Or he said just buy a cheap one and plan on replacing it every 4-5 yrs.
That blew my mind, I had a Whirlpool Gold dishwasher that lasted 20 yrs, and a Maytag washer that lasted 16yrs.

Tim

I could never be without a dishwasher. Use it for everything but my good knives and pots/pans. Have a KitchenAid that is now 14 years old. Have had it repaired twice over the years but still works well. It has three levels, stainless interior.

Many people think they would not or should not use one for conservation. Well modern dishwashers will use in almost all cases no more than 5 or 6 gal water TOTAL to do a load. No way to do them by hand that efficiently. Hell my Bosch I had used less than 3 gal water!

Many people think they would not or should not use one for conservation. Well modern dishwashers will use in almost all cases no more than 5 or 6 gal water TOTAL to do a load. No way to do them by hand that efficiently. Hell my Bosch I had used less than 3 gal water!

I agree totally with you, Larry. Also, it kills me when people wash their dishes before putting them in the dishwasher. What's the point of that? You should just scrape them before loading. The detergents need food particles to clean the dishes effectively.

Yep, and if you have hard water, hand washed dishes are usually spotty, filmy.
You don't get that with a DW and a rinse agent.

Tim

what about the dishwashers that have the garbage disposal in the bottom? I went to Lowes intending to get a whirlpool that had the food chopper in the bottom but the worker there talked me out of it.

I've only ran ~6 loads through this new one and it seems to do a better job of cleaning. The LG always seemed to have a piece or two of silverware in each load that didn't get clean, but this one's got every piece clean so far.

Honestly if you have hard water you're not doing yourself any favors by not using a softener. The calcium buildup is fatal to water heaters, appliances and so on. Our water is so hard without a softener taking a shower would be like getting sand blasted :D There is no good reason to not have a softener. If you don't want to drink softened water an RO system effectively removes any trace of salt or off flavor you might be afraid of, or simply running a single small tap bypassing the softener takes care of it.
Supposedly the disposer type DW has issues with clogging and such. If you ever notice all the European type machines use a filter and you just clean it every few months

Honestly if you have hard water you're not doing yourself any favors by not using a softener. The calcium buildup is fatal to water heaters, appliances and so on. Our water is so hard without a softener taking a shower would be like getting sand blasted :D There is no good reason to not have a softener. If you don't want to drink softened water an RO system effectively removes any trace of salt or off flavor you might be afraid of, or simply running a single small tap bypassing the softener takes care of it.
Supposedly the disposer type DW has issues with clogging and such. If you ever notice all the European type machines use a filter and you just clean it every few months

While I have a softener, the kitchen cold water tap and all of the outside hose bibs are all taken off the water supply before the softener. Water heater and all of the bathroom supplies, both hot and cold, are take off the softener.

Edit: I should point out there where I see the build-up the most is on the kitchen sink sprayer nozzle. I have to take it off a couple of times a year and soak in hot vinegar for an hour

I had a softener (actually two) second one was a re-plumb by me to bypass like J above and I hated the damn thing.
Always felt soapy after a shower and doing laundry was the same. Thing took a crap on me one night ( 1 year old from Sears) went into purge mode and wouldnt shut off.
Ran my water bill up, Big Time!

I'm Fine without one.

Tim

I had a softener (actually two) second one was a re-plumb by me to bypass like J above and I hated the damn thing.
Always felt soapy after a shower and doing laundry was the same. Thing took a crap on me one night ( 1 year old from Sears) went into purge mode and wouldnt shut off.
Ran my water bill up, Big Time!

I'm Fine without one.

Tim

Tim, did you test your water, and get an ion exchange column to match? What you're describing is over softened water.

Back