My first dishwasher

Not just wood. If you have good knives (like you said), do those by hand. Also, if you have crystal or good china. They will be scratched/fogged/pick a word.

We've got a maytag but found that with just the two of us, we'd run out of dishes before the unit was filled. We still do dishes by hand 95% of the time.

One person's opinion

Agree with Len, with the two of us we do the dishes by hand. We do run the dishwasher at least once a month to keep the seals soft and exercise it, usually after we do a big cook of some sort and load it up for a few days to get a full load.
We pretty much put anything in but our wooden cutting boards and cast iron pans along with our utility knifes. No problems so far.

Last edited:
Found a long time ago hand washing is not efficient at all (at least with modern machines) Even the worst of machines today use only about 6 gallons max. You cannot wash even a few plates by hand with that little bit of water. I will run ours even if just a few pieces are in there

Found a long time ago hand washing is not efficient at all (at least with modern machines) Even the worst of machines today use only about 6 gallons max. You cannot wash even a few plates by hand with that little bit of water. I will run ours even if just a few pieces are in there

Don't know how you wash your dishes. We have a small bowl we fill with hot soapy water, wash all the dishes and place in the other side of the double sink. Then we rinse them off, put them in the dish rack and then dry them. For a normal dinner two gallons max and yes I've measured the amount of water.
If you're filling the sink full of water I would agree the dishwasher wins.
But living in a sever drought area that's been going on since 2002 we've learned how to conserve water very well.

HOw many gallons do you think it takes to fill a tub and do the rinsing? I don't fill the sink either. Those damn water saving faucets take forever. So I use a tub or a large pan. But it still takes every bit as much to far more water to hand wash and rinse than to just throw them in the machine on a quick cycle. I cannot imagine no matter how careful someone is that it can be dine for 3 gallons or less. My DW is an Electrolux (hate the thing but another story) and even though it's not nearly as efficient as the Bosch we had prior it still (even on a full heavy duty cycle) does not use more than 5 gal of water and on quick it uses 2 gal. If you do things by hand for less than you're nothing short of amazing. Heck even our Samsung clothes washer only uses about 8 to 10 gallons for a full wash. Modern appliances are very efficient

States that have low water tables are the cause/need for stuff to use less water,it penalizes the rest of the world with less than stellar results. I wish every body could choose which they wanted but <political commentary removed>

Last edited by a moderator:
Well of course there is the old mantra "if it's yellow let it mellow if it's brown flush it down" LOL

I am enjoying this thing immensely. No longer do I have to waste 20-40 minutes every other day doing dishes. Kitchen seems cleaner but I have a long way to go. I didn't have a problem with spotting but I got some rinse aid yesterday & it seems to dry even better - now the plastic is dry upon completion.

I may add a water softener to my house, maybe not. I found a place to put one that will require minimal sheetrock repair, the other place I could put it easily, there's just no room if the furnace ever needs service. I've had a RO/DI going for 12 years (replaced once 2 years ago), it works fine with neglect, according to my TDS meter (reef aquariums).

I noticed some pretty serious blade damage, more than I'd expect, after pulling my vg10 knife out a couple days ago.... I ran it along a ceramic sharpener which cleaned up the damage & re-checked the type of blade to make sure it wasn't carbon steel. It was set flat all by itself on the top rack so getting knocked around wasn't the issue, but there was visible sawtooth (small but noticeable) pieces missing....never seen anything like it. It's not my prized knife but it is my 2nd favorite.

States that have low water tables are the cause/need for stuff to use less water,it penalizes the rest of the world with less than stellar results. I wish every body could choose which they wanted but <political commentary removed>

Water conserving appliances just keep getting better and better with each new iteration. For more and more parts of the country, water conservation is becoming a way of life, especially with droughts that happen in the West, throughout the Midwest, down in Texas, Florida, east to Tennessee and west to Hawaii. They even have "snow droughts" in Alaska. So conserving water is smart and an increasing part of our future, I think.

I'm really saving water now our new Black Lab puppy chewed up my whole back yard drip system :mad: so it's turned off in the back. Just doing the front now. Will replace it next summer and hopefully her chewing everything that will fit in her mouth out there will be over. Funny though in the two months she has been with us she hasn't touched a thing in the house except her toys.

I'm really saving water now our new Black Lab puppy chewed up my whole back yard drip system :mad: so it's turned off in the back. Just doing the front now. Will replace it next summer and hopefully her chewing everything that will fit in her mouth out there will be over. Funny though in the two months she has been with us she hasn't touched a thing in the house except her toys.

I always come to miss that phase :) Keep lots of chew toys out is the only thing I can say.....like lots of rawhides....

and here I was thinking you were talking about the puppy acting as your pre-wash cycle

We've never used our dishwasher in all the years we've lived in our current home. 100% hand wash. So after 25 years of the dishwasher taking up space under the counter I finally yanked it out and replaced it with a 54-bottle built-in wine cooler.

If you put in a water softener make sure you drop the detergent amount on cloths washer and dish washers,soap wont rinse out and will etch glasses,no shortage of water long term east of the Mississippi that I have ever read about

I always come to miss that phase :) Keep lots of chew toys out is the only thing I can say.....like lots of rawhides....

and here I was thinking you were talking about the puppy acting as your pre-wash cycle

Yep I will say she will eat anything, good idea a few licks by the pup and we're good to go and saving water too.
Just remember when you get out of the shower with a water softener you well feel like you have canola oil all over you. I used to hate that slimy feeling. Where we live now we don't need a softener, thank goodness.

2799.jpg

I wonder if I ruined my shredder food processing disc. Last night I shredded a chunk of colby jack cheese - & the processor just spit out perfect shreds of cheese. I did the same thing tonight after running it through the dishwasher for the first time last night & the damn thing about overheated & the pieces of cheese were tiny & balled up.

One difference is the 2nd batch spent a couple days in the freezer but was fully thawed unless I was mistaken.

Did my shredding blade get dull in the dishwasher, did the rinse aid somehow make the disc sticky, or did the freezer make the cheese unshreddable? I've noticed this cheese & cheddars become more crumbly, so this might be it too.

I've found cheese out of the freezer does get a lot more crumbly than unfrozen (I always buy on sale and keep it in there---8-10lb at a time). I wouldn't worry about it Clint. When I shred mozza from the freezer, I get both--shredded and balled. Who cares? Gonna get melted anyways ;)

I've also found that if you let the cheese defrost naturally in the fridge (not on the counter), it tends to not crumble as much. I doubt very much it was the fault of the disc.

There is NOTHING in a DW that will hurt a blade (unless it is a carbon steel blade than it will corrode and rust) I have never had a blade hurt in the DW and I put even my VERY expensive knives in it. YOu just need to be aware that if the knife(ves) move around they WILL get damaged by virtue of knocking around. Otherwise nothing contacts them and the detergent and hot water etc certainly will not hurt them

Back