My 1st Beef Rib Plate cook underway (pics)

Sean, did you have any trouble finding plate ribs? It seems like a lot of places here in the upper Midwest aren't very familiar with them.

Brad Olsen, go to the meat dept and ask if they have the uncut short ribs. They come in a cryovac and they slice them down into short ribs and Korean Style ribs. Ask if you can buy them whole

Sean, did you have any trouble finding plate ribs? It seems like a lot of places here in the upper Midwest aren't very familiar with them.

Hi Brad - yes I did. I live in San Diego and hit Costco, 2 grocery stores and 2 butchers with no luck. Ended
up calling around and found these "plate" ribs.

The place I purchased them from had them in the back as Bill mentioned. They cut them up for people that
braise. I am glad I called and asked.

Post mortem: I maintained 250* for 6.5 hours pretty steady. I think they needed about another hour as I
had some wiggly fat right at the bone. Next time, I will cook a little hotter (275*) for the same amount of time.

I also did the grind of peppercorns in a spice grinder, and I think it was too coarse. Next time I will buzz it a little
more as the bigger chunks overpowered the flavor. That was my error.

The wife liked the ribs, the kids (15 years old) were underwhelmed.

I am going to take some of the leftovers and chop it up and put in the AF bean recipe for the weekend.

Thanks everybody.
~ Sean

Very nice, Sean. One of my favorite cooks.....still planning a 48 hour sous vide, but somehow, I can't wait that long, so i always just throw them on the smoker! :)

R

Back