Must... Resist... Temptation!!!

Mark Barton

TVWBB Super Fan
Oh man!

I just noticed that the WSM 14.5 is now on clearance for $99 at three nearby Walmarts. For about a week they were at $139, and even though I was tempted, it was not too hard to pass up.

But this $99 price changes things. Super tempted to run over and pick one up before they are sold out.

In addition, I noticed the Oklahoma Joe's Highland was on clearance for $139, which is half off! I'll never get rid of my WSM, but ever since watching BBQ With Franklin (several times), I have been really curious about stick burners. Kind of nostalgic for the art of fire and smoke using wood. The reality of cooking with an offset will probably not meet my nostalgia, but it would be fun to give it a shot.

I keep telling myself, "I don't need either of these. My 18.5, gasser, Performer, pellet grill, and smokey joe do everything I ever need. I don't have the room on my little patio. I won't use them often enough."

But these prices are calling to me with their siren song!!!

Ugh. Must... Resist...

Last edited:
The 14.5 might be worth it. I dunno if you'll be happy with the offset. Especially with small ones it's very hard to run a clean fire and keep your temp down. I've got an Old Country Pecos. It's probably better than the Highland and it's flat out a ton of work. That said I enjoy cooking on it occasionally. I've done a hot and fast pork butt on it stickburning. I've cooked brisket on it using lump charcoal and adding more every 45 minutes to 1 1/2 for 16 hours straight.

BTW the one Frankin has in the short videos is an Old Country Wrangler. They are made of thicker steel than mine but. have less cooking surface. They are pretty well designed and good for the price.

At some point I do want to get a really nice offset made of 1/4 inch steel.

I am facing the same dilemma. I keep trying to convince myself that I need a 14 even though I already have a 22, just not sure how to justify it in my mind. Then I have to convince the boss that it was a necessary purchase; however, she is going to Vegas this weekend, so maybe I could get it and let her think the smoker shrunk :D

Last year when they closed out the fourteens at local St Louis area WM's they got as low as $75.
I got one for that price and have used my 18" only once since getting it.
Looks like they didn't restock them here this year.

One tip is to find the lawn and garden manager, some will drop the price a bit more, and some won't.

Bob, you sly dog you! Now I've got to go see what Wally World has to offer! Talk to the lawn manager, excellent suggestion. I'd really like an 18 but, for a first WSM, maybe a 14 is not a bad idea. It's mostly between two and six for feeding frenzy around here so, it's probably BG enough for me.

I got my 18" WSM last year at that price. There were three of them. I got home and thought I'd get one for my son too. Went back and they were sold out! Better hurry.

Last year when they closed out the fourteens at local St Louis area WM's they got as low as $75.
I got one for that price and have used my 18" only once since getting it.
Looks like they didn't restock them here this year.

One tip is to find the lawn and garden manager, some will drop the price a bit more, and some won't.

Our local has went from $139 to $99. They still have the same 5 in boxes that they started with. I have been checking a couple times a week. Might see how low they go before I jump on it.

I've cooked brisket on it using lump charcoal and adding more every 45 minutes to 1 1/2 for 16 hours straight. BTW the one Frankin has in the short videos is an Old Country Wrangler.

Thanks for reminding me of the reality of a cheap offset cooker, Dustin. I came to my senses and did not buy the Oklahoma Joe. Seeing it for 50% off was what caught my eye. But even at $139, if I don't use it, then it's not worth the money.

I have been wanting to buy a Old Country Wrangler from Academy, but the don't ship those to AZ. The Pecos is available for $399 plus $80 shipping. Not bad, but I'll hold of for a while.

I gave in to temptation the other day and bought a NIB Master Touch for $99. I didn't really need it but I recently sold my older redhead Master Touch and kind of regretted it.

Wayne

Back